Author Topic: What theist writers do you admire?  (Read 569 times)

Offline penfold

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +67/-4
  • ...buzz buzz buzz...
What theist writers do you admire?
« on: October 21, 2013, 01:09:36 PM »
There are a number of Christian thinkers I admire: I admire Kierkegaard for his penmanship; I admire William James for his insight; I admire Aquinas for the awesome breadth of his mind...

However there is only one Christian thinker whose intuitions have chimed so resonantly with my own that I, for a fleeting instant, have been tempted by theism. The thinker in question is Paul Tillich. I had been aware of Tillich for some time, in fact I teach his theory of symbolic language on my philosophy of religion course. In that context he is a dry and difficult thinker of the phenomenological tradition; I dread teaching him, making Tillich 'fun' for my students is near impossible.

One day in an old second hand bookshop I saw a copy of a book by Tillich entitled The Shaking of the Foundations – it was only 50p and so, not thinking much of it, I bought it. When I finally got round to opening it I was immediately disappointed to find it was a collection of sermons. My initial reaction was that I would rather lick sandpaper than spend my time reading Christian sermons. However, there being no sandpaper to hand, I started to read. The sermons date to 1947 and are written by a priest talking to a congregation emerging from the trauma of WWII and facing the terror of the atomic age. I was absolutely gripped – the sermons were arcane and filled with the horror of the age. Whatever else Tillich could be accused of he was not peddling platitudes nor was there much in the way of false hope.

I thought I would quote the part that just for a moment made me doubt my self-identification of 'atheist' (Incidentally I am sure for most this will not have that effect - nor am I arguing Tillich's point):

Look at the student who knows the content of the hundred most important books of world history, and yet whose spiritual life remains as shallow as it ever was… And then look at the uneducated worker who … suddenly asks himself: ‘What does it mean, that I do this work? What does it mean for my life? What is the meaning of my life?’ Because he asks these questions, that man is on the way into depth, where as ... the student … dwells on the surface…

The depth of thought is part of the depth of life. Most of our life continues on the surface. We are enslaved by the routine of our daily lives, in work and pleasure, in business and recreation. We are conquered by innumerable hazards, both good and evil. We are more driven than driving. We do not stop to look at … the depth below us … We are in constant motion and never stop to plunge into the depth. … We accept ourselves as we appear to ourselves, and do not care what we really are … We miss, therefore, our depth and our true life. […]

[M]ystics and priests, poets and philosophers, simple people and educated people … [t]hey have found that they were not what they believed themselves to be, even after a deeper level had appeared to them below the vanishing surface. That deeper level itself became a surface, when as still deeper level was discovered, this happening again and again, as long as their very lives, as long as they kept on the road to their depth.

Today a new … method has become famous the so-called ‘psychology of depth’*. It leads us from the surface of our self-knowledge into levels where things are recorded which we knew nothing about on the surface of our consciousness. … It can help us find the way into our depth, although it cannot help us in an ultimate way, because it cannot guide us to the deepest ground of our being and of all being, the depth, of life itself.

The name of this infinite and inexhaustible depth and ground of all being is God. That depth is what the word God means. And if that word has not much meaning for you, translate it, and speak of the depths of your life, of the source of your being, of your ultimate concern, of what you take seriously without any reservation. Perhaps, in order to do so, you must forget everything traditional that you have learnt about God, perhaps even that word itself. For if you know that God means depth, you know much about Him. You cannot then call yourself an atheist or unbeliever. For you cannot think or say: Life has no depth! … He who knows about depth knows about God.

- Paul Tillich The Depth of Existence published in The Shaking of the Foundations.

-----------------------------

It always annoys me that theists rarely read the works of any great atheists. At best they will have read some dust jackets; or listened to potted versions of Dawkins or Hitchins on youtube. So in the spirit of being better than that ourselves;

What theist writers have you read and admire?
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." - P.K.D.

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +135/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
Re: What theist writers do you admire?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 01:20:03 PM »
Does William F. Buckley Jr. count?
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 01:32:59 PM »
Are we talking about theist writers who write about theism or in general?

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 01:35:20 PM »
Are we talking about theist writers who write about theism or in general?

My question exactly. I don't read much (I've read maybe five or six books that I've liked), but I most definitely don't and won't read about theism, even if it had been written by an atheist.

-Nam

-One
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline penfold

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +67/-4
  • ...buzz buzz buzz...
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 02:48:53 AM »
I suppose I mean people trying to make the case for theism - as opposed to authors writing about something unrelated who happen to be theists.
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." - P.K.D.

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +103/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 04:09:02 AM »
Hermann Hesse. Steppenwolf is a general discussion about spirituality but Hess does lean towards the theist perspective. Very good book.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 05:16:57 AM »
C.S. Lewis. The Narnia series, of course. "The Screwtape letters" was a good read.

An Australian author, John Dickson, wrote a book I enjoyed called "A sneaking suspicion"

Keith Green. I was humbled by his passion, in his music also.

Go on up you baldhead.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 11:35:42 AM »
I suppose I mean people trying to make the case for theism - as opposed to authors writing about something unrelated who happen to be theists.

None. But I do like Thomas Paine. He was a Deist.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Offline penfold

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +67/-4
  • ...buzz buzz buzz...
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 02:12:37 AM »
C.S. Lewis. The Narnia series, of course. "The Screwtape letters" was a good read.

Yeah I love Lewis; though I have to say re-reading the Narnia books as an adult I was slightly dismayed at how very confessional they are. Not only are they re-wroking of bible-stories but it has a real 'little-England' conservative ethos...

Will still be reading them to my own kids though  :D

Offline RubyLeo

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +13/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 02:59:08 PM »
C.S. Lewis and Thomas Paine  :)
"Any system of religion that has anything in it that shocks the mind of a child, cannot be true. "
~ Thomas Paine

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +709/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 07:53:43 PM »
I was going to say JRR Tolkein.  but while I like the Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit, I don't really think they are very good literature nor do I particularly admire JRR.  In fact, I think he's a bit of a tool. 

My favorite writers are Mark Twain and Walt Whitman, an atheist and a deist or pantheist, as far as I can figure. 

I am having a very hard time thinking of theistic writers I like, let alone admire. 

I loved Ender's Game, but I find Orson Card to be one of the most loathsome individuals of our time.

Was Philip Dick a theist?  Heinlein?  Frank Herbert?  I dunno. 
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 07:56:10 PM »
If we're now including theist writers (based on literature), give me some time and I'll make a list. Not stating I admire each one but I read their work(s) more than once.

-Nam