Author Topic: Killer god  (Read 257 times)

Offline Iamrational

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +9/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Killer god
« on: September 16, 2013, 05:30:40 PM »
So which deity created the deadly brain amoeba that is in the Louisiana drinking water? And... did this deity do it on purpose because it is in drinking water!

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/deadly-brain-amoeba-infects-first-us-drinking-water-system-8C11172643 

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
Re: Killer god
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 06:00:35 PM »
Just have faith and drink up.  He has a plan.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 06:24:24 PM »
Don't eat the amoeba snow this winter. It may look good but stay away.

-Nam
This is my signature "Nam", don't I have nice typing skills?

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 06:27:42 PM »
Yeah.  God, in His infinite wisdom, saw fit to inhabit the earth with a lot of really nasty creatures.  It is hard to imagine what He had in mind when He created brain eating amoebas.

On a much less serious note, in first grade, when my daughter came home from school with head lice, I found myself in one of those fancy salons that specialize in removing the nasty little bugs from the heads of itchy school children.  One father, who sat and watched as a patient women combed a never ending supply of lice out of his daughter's long hair, asked the "technicians" questions about the role that head lice play in the ecosystem.  Apparently, according to the head lice removal staff, they have no predators, other than humans.  And then consume nothing other than human blood, and survive nowhere other than the human scalp. 

And this is the God that loves us so? 

And God made sure that head lice made their way on to Noah's Ark, so that they would survive to torment countless generations?  THIS is the God worshipped by billions? 

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 06:36:17 PM »
Yeah.  God, in His infinite wisdom, saw fit to inhabit the earth with a lot of really nasty creatures.  It is hard to imagine what He had in mind when He created brain eating amoebas.

On a much less serious note, in first grade, when my daughter came home from school with head lice, I found myself in one of those fancy salons that specialize in removing the nasty little bugs from the heads of itchy school children.  One father, who sat and watched as a patient women combed a never ending supply of lice out of his daughter's long hair, asked the "technicians" questions about the role that head lice play in the ecosystem.  Apparently, according to the head lice removal staff, they have no predators, other than humans.  And then consume nothing other than human blood, and survive nowhere other than the human scalp. 

And this is the God that loves us so? 

And God made sure that head lice made their way on to Noah's Ark, so that they would survive to torment countless generations?  THIS is the God worshipped by billions? 

This isn't true. Birds are more susceptible to lice than humans. While humans do have an inherited degree of lice, lice's only victim is not humans.

Birds have it worse than we do.

-Nam

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 06:51:08 PM »

This isn't true. Birds are more susceptible to lice than humans. While humans do have an inherited degree of lice, lice's only victim is not humans.

Birds have it worse than we do.

-Nam

There are different kinds of lice.  I had known little about lice before last year, but I assure you, the head louse only feasts on humans. 

Wikipedia says:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head_louse
The head louse (Pediculus humanus capitis) is an obligate ectoparasite of humans.[1] Head lice are wingless insects spending their entire life on the human scalp and feeding exclusively on human blood.[1] Humans are the only known hosts of this specific parasite, while chimpanzees host a closely related species, Pediculus schaeffi. Other species of lice infest most orders of mammals and all orders of birds.[1] 

But clearly God saw fit to create and maintain multiple sub species of lice. 

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 07:00:58 PM »
Yeah, certain lice spend their entire lives on one particular animal. Certain lice only stay on certain birds, not all birds, their entire lives.

It's, basically, something inherited by past ancestors. In our case gorillas or apes, I forget.

-Nam
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 07:03:38 PM by Nam »