Author Topic: Gears in insects  (Read 3128 times)

Offline Foxy Freedom

• Reader
  • Darwins +81/-11
  • Gods become obsolete all the time.
    • Foxy Freedom on Doctor Who
Re: Gears in insects
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2013, 06:27:26 PM »
if you say humans have no reason to fly, then please explain the reason birds have for evolving flight and why these would not apply to humans.

Birds had ancestors who already had feathers, the evolution was gradual. Every animal is the same species as its parents, but over many generations changes accumulate so that in the long term every species is intermediate between its ancestors and its descendants. The ancestors of birds were small feathered raptors, early birds had four wings for gliding and the efficiency of flight was improved by reducing to two wings. The evolution of the feather itself has also been worked out, even the colours of some fossil feathers are now known. There is no need to say it was magical or designed.
Neither Foxy Freedom nor any associates can be reached via WWGHA. Their official antitheist website is http://the6antitheist6guide6.blogspot.co.uk

The 2nd edition of the free ebook Devil or Delusion ? The danger of Christianity to Democracy Freedom and Science.       http://t.co/2d1KcJ9V

Online skeptic54768

• Reader
  • Darwins +43/-406
  • Christianity is the most beautiful religion.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2013, 06:38:05 PM »
if you say humans have no reason to fly, then please explain the reason birds have for evolving flight and why these would not apply to humans.

Birds had ancestors who already had feathers, the evolution was gradual. Every animal is the same species as its parents, but over many generations changes accumulate so that in the long term every species is intermediate between its ancestors and its descendants. The ancestors of birds were small feathered raptors, early birds had four wings for gliding and the efficiency of flight was improved by reducing to two wings. The evolution of the feather itself has also been worked out, even the colours of some fossil feathers are now known. There is no need to say it was magical or designed.

You say that early ancestors already had feathers. OK, how come? How did these ancestors get feathers? Why did humans not get feathers?

This is why I found evolution a very hard belief to place your faith into. It sounds much simpler to believe in God. I heard that is called Occam's razor.
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Offline Foxy Freedom

• Reader
  • Darwins +81/-11
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2013, 06:45:14 PM »

You say that early ancestors already had feathers. OK, how come? How did these ancestors get feathers? Why did humans not get feathers?

This is why I found evolution a very hard belief to place your faith into. It sounds much simpler to believe in God. I heard that is called Occam's razor.

Raptors had feathers for warmth and display, apes had hair and different mating games. Different lifestyles produce different results.

Yes religion is much easier to understand. It saves on thinking and prevents looking at evidence.
Neither Foxy Freedom nor any associates can be reached via WWGHA. Their official antitheist website is http://the6antitheist6guide6.blogspot.co.uk

The 2nd edition of the free ebook Devil or Delusion ? The danger of Christianity to Democracy Freedom and Science.       http://t.co/2d1KcJ9V

Online jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +514/-12
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2013, 06:50:25 PM »
How did the gears start to evolve?
Odds are, they weren't gears in the first place.  They were pieces of exoskeleton that came together, allowing a planthopper to jump by moving both of its legs at the same time.

Quote from: skeptic54768
What was the reason that these gears needed to start evolving? Was it an environmental change? Random?
They didn't 'start' evolving.  They continued evolving.  There wasn't really a starting point (except maybe at the beginning of life itself, and chances are that chemical reactions happened in organic matter before it ever became living).  What happened with the planthoppers is that they continued the evolutionary process which was ongoing before they ever emerged as a species, and certain planthoppers started developing exoskeleton leg parts that tended to fit together like gears, giving them a mechanical advantage when they jumped.  That gave them an evolutionary advantage which made them more likely to reproduce over other planthoppers.  That's what evolutionary adaptation is - an organism within a species is born with something that's different from the rest, and it gives them an advantage and makes it easier for them to reproduce over other organisms that don't have that advantage..  Eventually, that particular change spreads through their species' gene pool.  It's a continuous, ongoing process, which is why it's silly to talk about something "starting to evolve".

If it was random, does that mean a human could randomly get a mutation to make him grow wings and fly? if you say humans have no reason to fly, then please explain the reason birds have for evolving flight and why these would not apply to humans.
I suppose it's possible, if marginally, for a human to get a mutation which gives him wings, but mutations simply aren't that energetic.  It would be far more probable for it to be a series of mutations that happen over a very, very long period of time.

I for one can think how much wings would help in our survival.
A human with wings would have to be far lighter in order to fly, and they would have to be very large wings.  There's a reason birds have such thin, hollow bones, and such a large wingspan for their size.  The Andean condor, for example, is one of the largest flighted bird species now living.  It's four feet in length from head to tail, weighs between 30 and 40 pounds, and has a wingspan of around ten feet.

Frankly, I'm not sure the trade-off would be worth it.

That's not what Occam's razorWiki is.  Occam's razor is that the explanation which makes the fewest assumptions is the most likely to be true.  Contrary to popular opinion, it has nothing to do with the simplicity of an explanation.  In fact, simpler explanations are more likely to fall afoul of Occam's razor, because their apparent simplicity often masks numerous inherent assumptions.  Complicated explanations that don't make assumptions are better than simple ones that do.

That's one of the reasons that religion generally loses ground to science - because science minimizes assumptions when it tries to explain things, and religion generally makes no such effort.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 06:52:35 PM by jaimehlers »

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2013, 07:16:38 PM »
Here we go Skeptic.  This is a game that will help you understand some of the most basic concepts.

You see, you get to pick the traits and the game generates random events.  If your species is all furry, and the climate changes and gets much hotter, your species will die.  On the other hand, if your species has no fur, and no body fat, and the temperature gets cold, then it will die out.  If your species has short legs and a short neck, when the food starts growing up high, your species will die out.

It is a fun game.  Enjoy.

http://science.discovery.com/games-and-interactives/charles-darwin-game.htm

Online skeptic54768

• Reader
  • Darwins +43/-406
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2013, 08:08:41 PM »
Here we go Skeptic.  This is a game that will help you understand some of the most basic concepts.

You see, you get to pick the traits and the game generates random events.  If your species is all furry, and the climate changes and gets much hotter, your species will die.  On the other hand, if your species has no fur, and no body fat, and the temperature gets cold, then it will die out.  If your species has short legs and a short neck, when the food starts growing up high, your species will die out.

It is a fun game.  Enjoy.

http://science.discovery.com/games-and-interactives/charles-darwin-game.htm

Fun game.  :)

But that still doesn't explain how those species I could choose from, exist in the first place.
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Online skeptic54768

• Reader
  • Darwins +43/-406
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2013, 08:12:40 PM »
Odds are, they weren't gears in the first place.  They were pieces of exoskeleton that came together, allowing a planthopper to jump by moving both of its legs at the same time.

Do the fossils say this? Or is this just taken on faith?

They didn't 'start' evolving.  They continued evolving.  There wasn't really a starting point (except maybe at the beginning of life itself, and chances are that chemical reactions happened in organic matter before it ever became living).  What happened with the planthoppers is that they continued the evolutionary process which was ongoing before they ever emerged as a species, and certain planthoppers started developing exoskeleton leg parts that tended to fit together like gears, giving them a mechanical advantage when they jumped.  That gave them an evolutionary advantage which made them more likely to reproduce over other planthoppers.  That's what evolutionary adaptation is - an organism within a species is born with something that's different from the rest, and it gives them an advantage and makes it easier for them to reproduce over other organisms that don't have that advantage..  Eventually, that particular change spreads through their species' gene pool.  It's a continuous, ongoing process, which is why it's silly to talk about something "starting to evolve".

But, is that shown by the fossils?

I suppose it's possible, if marginally, for a human to get a mutation which gives him wings, but mutations simply aren't that energetic.  It would be far more probable for it to be a series of mutations that happen over a very, very long period of time.

Where does the new information come from for the mutations?

A human with wings would have to be far lighter in order to fly, and they would have to be very large wings.  There's a reason birds have such thin, hollow bones, and such a large wingspan for their size.  The Andean condor, for example, is one of the largest flighted bird species now living.  It's four feet in length from head to tail, weighs between 30 and 40 pounds, and has a wingspan of around ten feet.

Frankly, I'm not sure the trade-off would be worth it.

OK, fair enough.

That's not what Occam's razorWiki is.  Occam's razor is that the explanation which makes the fewest assumptions is the most likely to be true.  Contrary to popular opinion, it has nothing to do with the simplicity of an explanation.  In fact, simpler explanations are more likely to fall afoul of Occam's razor, because their apparent simplicity often masks numerous inherent assumptions.  Complicated explanations that don't make assumptions are better than simple ones that do.

That's one of the reasons that religion generally loses ground to science - because science minimizes assumptions when it tries to explain things, and religion generally makes no such effort.

OK, fair enough.

Online jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +514/-12
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2013, 10:12:35 PM »
Do the fossils say this? Or is this just taken on faith?
Coming to a reasonable conclusion about something is not "taking it on faith".  I am not a biologist, nor am I a paleontologist, but I do not have to be one in order to propose a means by which something could have happened.  Also, one of the problems with fossils is that most organisms don't last long enough to become fossils to begin with.  So it's by nature an incomplete (highly incomplete) record.

But, is that shown by the fossils?
Given that I am not saying that you should accept it just because it's reasonable, I don't see the relevance of continually asking me about the fossils, especially since I'm not in a field that deals with fossils.

From the environment, since mutations are caused by environmental factors.

Offline Foxy Freedom

• Reader
  • Darwins +81/-11
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2013, 10:26:48 PM »

It is not new information, mutations are just mistakes when DNA copies itself billions of times. The mistakes are filtered by how useful they are to the creature in its environment.

These same DNA mistakes are the basis of paternity tests, and if you take your DNA back further you find that all other creatures are cousins.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 10:59:18 PM by Foxy Freedom »

Online Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +175/-6
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2013, 11:00:12 PM »
A few observations about biases in the fossil record that are worth making note of: a) common organisms are more likely to be preserved (fossilized) than rare ones, b) organisms with "hard" parts are more likely to be preserved that organisms with "soft" parts, and c) organisms in areas with fewer geological forces are more likely to be preserved that those in areas with more.

There is more to the study of evolution than the fossil record.

Evolution and speciation are not the same thing.

Evolution and natural selection are not the same thing. They are related (natural selection is one of the ways in which the process we refer to as evolution can occur) but they are not identical or interchangeable.

I strongly suspect that you (skeptic54768) are drawing some very incorrect conclusions about both what the theory says, and what the implications of that are. There is literally nothing in the theory that could lead someone who understands what it says to think that humans could evolve wings because it would help in our survival. Although it would be really, really cool, I'm not denying that.

Evolution speak of heritable traits - mutations that can be passed on to the next generation. Natural selection speaks of "survival of the fittest" - fittest referring to breeding the next generation. It's not talking about who's in the "best shape", it's talking about who reproduced the most surviving offspring to carry on the heritable traits. In your giraffe example, you got it backward - the giraffes with the (originally) abnormally long necks were able to reach higher, gaining access to food that wasn't available to those with (originally ) normal necks. Those with the mutation that led to longer necks outbred the others by having access to more food, that's all that evolution is talking about. It's not magic, it's random in many respects, and it's kind of obvious if you just think about it for a few minutes...

Because not all mutations are beneficial. There are lots of mutations that will kill rather than help, but those don't generally get discussed in relation to evolution, as heritable mutations that kill obviously can't be passed on successfully.

If the best looking, strongest, sexiest guy in the room doesn't make surviving babies, it ends with him. It doesn't matter if he happened to be the "fittest" in the sense of his physical condition, it ONLY matters if he reproduced viable offspring, and that his heritable traits were passed to the next generation - and those traits may not have been ones that made beautiful babies either.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 11:02:12 PM by Jag »
My tolerance for BS is limited, and I use up most of it IRL.

Online skeptic54768

• Reader
  • Darwins +43/-406
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2013, 12:45:24 AM »
OK Jag, the goal is to have babies and reproduce.

Would you say the only thing that matters in life is having babies?

If someone is as smart as Einstein but has no kids, was his life more or less successful than a "dumb as rocks" drunkard with 15 kids?

Online skeptic54768

• Reader
  • Darwins +43/-406
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2013, 12:46:41 AM »

It is not new information, mutations are just mistakes when DNA copies itself billions of times. The mistakes are filtered by how useful they are to the creature in its environment.

These same DNA mistakes are the basis of paternity tests, and if you take your DNA back further you find that all other creatures are cousins.

Is human consciousness a mistake? It is just a mistake in DNA copying?  :o

Offline William

• Fellow
  • Darwins +92/-2
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2013, 01:23:23 AM »
If someone is as smart as Einstein but has no kids, was his life more or less successful than a "dumb as rocks" drunkard with 15 kids?

God will take the "15 kids" any day over the "no kids".  God has many essential duties for souls in heaven - like toe sucking and singing lalalala halleluiah for eternity.   
Git mit uns

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-2
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2013, 01:50:05 AM »
And magnets, what the fuck is up with those magnets?  They're like, magic, right?

Magic? No ... it's Romans!!!

Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Online Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +175/-6
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2013, 01:56:15 AM »
OK Jag, the goal is to have babies and reproduce.

Would you say the only thing that matters in life is having babies?

What do your questions have to do with my post? Evolution is not a measure of "success" of anything other than reproducing specific heritable traits. Why are you asking about value judgements?

Edited to add: Oh, I missed this earlier. You mentioned a "goal" - that's a common misunderstanding. There is no "goal", we're discussing a process, evolution.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 02:16:34 AM by Jag »
My tolerance for BS is limited, and I use up most of it IRL.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +623/-23
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2013, 08:34:18 AM »
That's silly though. Pink unicorns are physical entities that would be able to be proven. God is not physical. You can not use science to show God. Science is for physical.

Nope.  unicorns are spiritual.  You are thinking physically.  When talking about pink unicorns you have to think spiritually.

This is why these analogies to the FSM and IPU are nonsense.

You only say that because you follow a false religion.  If you followed a True Religion you would know better.

None of those are spiritual entities.

That, technically, is blasphemy to Pastafarians.  Be grateful they are peaceful people and tolerant of your insolence.

[People claim the FSM is physically spaghetti and meatballs. But spaghetti and meatballs can not think and they take up space, so the FSM has been disproved.

So not true. 

Unicorns can not think either. They are physical.

You have no proof of this. To support your claim, show me a physical unicorn.  And I don't mean that one horned goat Ringling Brothers was hauling around.

Edit:  Wait.  Are you saying physical things don't think?  What about people?  Are we not physical?

It sounds much simpler to believe in God.

It is simpler to believe in myths than to understand actual reality.  That does not make it right.  Just lazy.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 10:43:33 AM by screwtape »
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +70/-8
  • Hedonist Extraordinaire
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2013, 08:57:46 AM »
That's silly though. Pink unicorns are physical entities that would be able to be proven. God is not physical. You can not use science to show God. Science is for physical.

Nope.  unicorns are spiritual.  You are thinking physically.  When talking about pink unicorns you have to think spiritually.

This is why these analogies to the FSM and IPU are nonsense.

You only say that because you follow a false religion.  If you followed a True Religion you would know better.

None of those are spiritual entities.

That, technically, is blasphemy to Pastafarians.  Be grateful they are peaceful people and tolerant of your insolence.

[People claim the FSM is physically spaghetti and meatballs. But spaghetti and meatballs can not think and they take up space, so the FSM has been disproved.

So not true. 

Unicorns can not think either. They are physical.

You have no proof of this. To support your claim, show me a physical unicorn.  And I don't mean that one horned goat Ringling Brothers was hauling around.

It sounds much simpler to believe in God.

It is simpler to believe in myths than to understand actual reality.  That does not make it right.  Just lazy.

Skepdude,

Really, really think about what screwtape has said above. I know you'll just try to dismiss his claims, but when you do, you'll know exactly how we feel about your claims. They both really do have equal validity.
Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Offline Foxy Freedom

• Reader
  • Darwins +81/-11
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2013, 09:00:35 AM »

Is human consciousness a mistake? It is just a mistake in DNA copying?  :o

No, The mistakes of DNA copying are filtered by how useful the mistakes are to the creature in its environment. Obviously the evolution of brains to coordinate actions and analyse the environment will increase the chance of survival.

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-2
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2013, 09:01:35 AM »

For instance, the average human has 125(-ish) sections of genetic code that don't appear either in the father or the mother. ie. 125 copying mistakes. Which, considering the massive size of the human genome, is a minuscule error rate. Still, the errors are there and evolution can act on them.
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +193/-15
  • Yahweh: Obviously not obvious.
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2013, 02:08:55 AM »
What this really all boils down to is the credulous Christian (religious) mind-set of "we just have to know right now!" So, if scientists don't know something (or wherever there are gaps in human knowledge) they just fill it with their deity God thing instead of admitting ignorance until sufficient evidence comes in. And they do this because they have assumed (via hearsay) their bible is 'the Word of God'. It's really no different from what other religions do.

The Argument from Incredulity Fallacy is still irrational Christians.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 02:11:04 AM by median »
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Carl Sagan

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +690/-3
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2013, 10:13:31 AM »
What this really all boils down to is the credulous Christian (religious) mind-set of "we just have to know right now!" So, if scientists don't know something (or wherever there are gaps in human knowledge) they just fill it with their deity God thing instead of admitting ignorance until sufficient evidence comes in. And they do this because they have assumed (via hearsay) their bible is 'the Word of God'. It's really no different from what other religions do.

It is a little worse than that. Believers have to know "something" right now, and it doesn't matter what it is as long as it matches their hoped for/presumed/otherwise invalid reality.

It is ironic. Christians have a commandment that tells them not to lie, but they must lie, to themselves (as well as to each other), for the whole thing to work.

So they think that their best argument (evolution can't be true because I don't like it!) is solid.

One way to tell which POV is true, religion or evolution, is to look at how many variations there are of each. Religions come in thousands of forms, and christianity itself comes in tens of thousands of forms. But while the specifics of evolution occasionally spin off variations (whether or not birds evolved from dinosaurs, for instance), overall the evidence and the research and the conclusions that have been reached are incredibly consistent and in agreement with each other. Especially when matched with other sciences, such as biology and geology and chemistry, which have all made myriad discoveries that match up with evolutionary theory quite nicely.

In other words, if we had 38,000 varieties of evolution the way we have of christianity, we would be in as much trouble with the truth as believers are.

Actual evidence keeps us in line. So we don't need any frickin' commandments telling us not to lie. We're honest in the first place.
Not everyone is entitled to their opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Online skeptic54768

• Reader
  • Darwins +43/-406
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2013, 08:04:20 PM »

it is not based on us "having to know right now!" It is based on us understanding that science changes like the weather and God never changes.

One time, it was a FACT the earth was flat.
Now it's a FACT the earth is round.

It used to be spontaneous generation was a FACT.
Now, it's not a fact.

It used to be a FACT that diseases were cause by bad air.
Now it's a FACT it's germs.

Take a look here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superseded_scientific_theories

You can not find truth in something when the truth changes every day. Heck, maybe tomorrow evolution will be false and everyone will say "We got that wrong but trust us on the next theory!"

FACTS can not be FACTS if they are constantly changing. TRUTH doesn't change. TRUTH is TRUTH.

I've even heard that the Big Bang theory might be obsolete soon despite the so called mountains of evidence it had to support it.

If you guys can't agree on what a fact is, you can't expect anyone else to just blindly follow the world of scientists.

Offline Foxy Freedom

• Reader
  • Darwins +81/-11
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2013, 08:13:40 PM »

it is not based on us "having to know right now!" It is based on us understanding that science changes like the weather and God never changes.

Now, it's not a fact.

Take a look here:

You can not find truth in something when the truth changes every day. Heck, maybe tomorrow evolution will be false and everyone will say "We got that wrong but trust us on the next theory!"

FACTS can not be FACTS if they are constantly changing. TRUTH doesn't change. TRUTH is TRUTH.

I've even heard that the Big Bang theory might be obsolete soon despite the so called mountains of evidence it had to support it.

If you guys can't agree on what a fact is, you can't expect anyone else to just blindly follow the world of scientists.

So you admit that you are incapable of changing your mind as better explanations become available.

You are confusing FACT with guesses. Once things are proved that is it. Evolution is proved to have happened.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 08:22:14 PM by Foxy Freedom »

Online skeptic54768

• Reader
  • Darwins +43/-406
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2013, 08:19:06 PM »
So you admit that you are incapable of changing your mind as better explanations become available.

Then it can not be considered a fact. Atheists can not say "big bang and evolution" when asked about our origins. If these facts can change tomorrow, there's no reason to believe them.

if you lived 600 years ago, you would've been shouting that it's a fact that the Earth is flat and anyone who disagreed was a fool.
Now look what happened.

Offline Foxy Freedom

• Reader
  • Darwins +81/-11
« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2013, 08:40:46 PM »

Then it can not be considered a fact. Atheists can not say "big bang and evolution" when asked about our origins. If these facts can change tomorrow, there's no reason to believe them.

if you lived 600 years ago, you would've been shouting that it's a fact that the Earth is flat and anyone who disagreed was a fool.
Now look what happened.

Yes it can. Guesses are turned into fact. It was a guess that the earth was flat. Then it was proved to be a sphere. Do you accept that the earth is a sphere or do you think it will change again?

Evolution has been proved to have happened, just the same way.

Online skeptic54768

• Reader
  • Darwins +43/-406
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2013, 08:50:01 PM »
Yes it can. Guesses are turned into fact. It was a guess that the earth was flat. Then it was proved to be a sphere. Do you accept that the earth is a sphere or do you think it will change again?

I'm pretty sure they cited "scientific evidence" that the Earth is flat.

Offline Foxy Freedom

• Reader
  • Darwins +81/-11
« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2013, 08:58:16 PM »

So do you still accept that the earth is flat?

Online jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +514/-12
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2013, 10:02:18 PM »
This illustrates the actual problem, which is not what you think it is.  What is true stays true, it is our understanding that changes.  This goes for science as well as for religion.  That's why we refer to scientific theories, not scientific facts, and why scientists have to train themselves to be skeptical.  Contrast this to religious belief, which demands certainty even though it's based on human understanding, which is never certain, because it's based on what we think we know.

Notably, the belief the Earth was flat came from people who used Biblical verses to buttress their ignorance.  Regardless, the Earth was always round regardless of what people thought.

Now, it's not a fact.
Scientists were attempting to figure out why maggots appeared in rotting meat, and spontaneous generation was one theory to explain it that was ultimately discarded when it was shown to be false.  Regardless, spontaneous generation never occurred.

Miasma theoryWiki far preceded actual scientific methodology.  For its time, it was reasonably accurate (since the "bad air" contained, not pollutants, but disease-causing bacteria and viruses, which were too small to see).  Regardless, it was always bacteria and viruses that caused diseases.

Would you prefer that scientists continued to insist that theories which have been proved wrong were in fact right?  Because that's what you're suggesting - that you want certainty over truth.

And notably, scientists don't claim that theories are actually facts.  However, religious people regularly and frequently claim that their beliefs are truth, despite the lack of anything to prove or even demonstrate this.

And those mountains of evidence will still exist.  If the Big Bang theory is superseded, it will be because someone came up with an explanation that better fit the evidence, not because it is suddenly 'wrong'.

And why would we want anyone to "blindly follow the world of scientists" to begin with?  Blind certainty is the antithesis of science.

By the way, there was never any "scientific evidence" in favor of the Earth being flat.  That belief far predated the development of scientific methodology.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +623/-23
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2013, 06:33:46 PM »
It is based on us understanding that science changes like the weather and God never changes.

Nope.  Science does not change much, but when it does, it is an improvement. 

God has changed quite a bit.  There used to be all kinds of gods running around, two of whom belonged to a pantheon in canaan.  Those two gods were named el and yhwh.  They lived in the sky, above the celestial ocean, which was held up by a dome called the firmament. 

yhwh had a wife named Asherah.  Over time, el became elohim, the name the canaanites (hebrews) used for the entire pantheon.  Over time, elohim and yhwh were merged and the other gods were omitted.  Over time, yhwh stopped doing petty and petulant things, lost his body, lost his throne in the sky, became abstract, and was considered to be the only god.

Take a look here:

Most of the original "theories" were not theories arrived at by science.  And it was science that made them better.  Not divine revelation.  As I have said here before, there is a reason why we don't use prophets and holy men to design microchips.  When they do, they seldom work.

This shows you don't understand what you are talking about.  "Truth" is not the same as "scientific theories".  Science is a model.  It is like a map.  You fail to understand that the map is not the territory.

Facts don't change, but sometimes our understanding of them does. 

As I suggested to you before, you might want to stfu until you have a better understanding of the topic at hand.

"They" who?  It was not science nor scientists that claimed the earth was flat.  And again, as with every improvement in knowledge, it was science that figured it out, not religion.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.