Author Topic: for all the evolutionists out there.  (Read 926 times)

completely4god

for all the evolutionists out there.
« on: November 20, 2008, 02:47:57 PM »
i am doing a research paper on evolution versus creation. i was curious as to see how evolution can even be real. its a good theory but i dont think its possible. how did we come about? there had to be something started. God had to create the world because there is no other explanation. If it was the big bang theory, how were all the gases and things created? something had to be created for evolution to start taking place. i cannot wait to hear your comments  ;)

Offline Deus ex Machina

• Fellow
  • Darwins +23/-3
  • non-cdesign-proponentsist
Re: for all the evolutionists out there.
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 02:56:22 PM »
No day in which you learn something is wasted.

Offline Vynn

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • 1st an infidel, then a heretic, now an atheist!
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 03:00:57 PM »
God had to create the world because there is no other explanation.

Boy, i've never heard such a compelling argument. I mean, there's no other explanation, folks! There just isn't!

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +50/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 03:58:43 PM »
My guess is your paper will be very short and contain very little research.
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline xphobe

• Professor
  • Darwins +12/-0
  • the truth is out there
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 04:32:18 PM »
i am doing a research paper on evolution versus creation. i was curious as to see how evolution can even be real. its a good theory but i dont think its possible.

You're on the right track.  That's the way all great scholars begin a research paper.  Remember, always start with your conclusion, and then work backwards to find facts that fit it.  And if current facts appear to work against your conclusion, see if there are any studies done a hundred or so years ago, that might support you.  And failing that, make something up.  Don't forget to include a basic misunderstanding of thermodynamics and statistics.

Good luck!
I stopped believing for a little while this morning. Journey is gonna be so pissed when they find out...

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 04:33:05 PM »
What gets me is that YECs keep making the same strange statements over and over again.  They get lied to ... and the same lie gets repeated.  It's just not ethical what's happening to these people.
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline Vynn

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • 1st an infidel, then a heretic, now an atheist!
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 04:51:44 PM »
How to test your argument:

Think about the opposition. Then replace the key terms with the key terms from that perspective. For instance, in this post, replace "god" and "creation" with the word "evolution". If it seems stupid like that, then it is.

Offline switch

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 08:06:57 PM »
i am doing a research paper on evolution versus creation. i was curious as to see how evolution can even be real. its a good theory but i dont think its possible. how did we come about? there had to be something started. God had to create the world because there is no other explanation. If it was the big bang theory, how were all the gases and things created? something had to be created for evolution to start taking place. i cannot wait to hear your comments  ;)

You might try going to your local bookstore or library and reading up on the physics of the Big Bang so you can learn how the gases, solids, and liquids were formed.

BTW, Evolution and the big bang are separate theories. The Big Bang describes how our universe began in expansion and evolution describes how living things change over time (and also tells us that all life is related).

Also, I find it interesting that you think that matter needs to be created while exempting God from needing a creator. Of course, you'll probably say that God is eternal, but then why can't matter be eternal?

Offline PingTheServer

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Devil's Advocate
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 10:23:49 PM »

Ok...let me explain to you HOW you are confused, first.

1) Your paper is on evolution versus creation"ism".  Evolution explains the diversity of life.  Creationist attempts to explain both how life began and the diversity of life by citing a book that has not passed the scrutiny of any scientific method.

In reference to your "versus"...why do you need to rule one out with the other.  Can they not co-exist in your mind?  Is it not true that if God created the universe, he also created science - which is his way of letting us look into his toolbox?  Wouldn't you agree that science and religion attempt to answer different questions.  "Why" we are here, as opposed to "How" we are here?

2) In response to: "how were all the gases and things created? something had to be created for evolution to start taking place."

Take a chemistry class.  Take a biology class.  Intro levels explain this. 

What we cannot answer though, is where the very first elements came from.  We do not know the causation of anything before the big bang...and you know what, that's ok.  It's ok to say you don't know something.  There's no reason to attribute something we don't know to something we make up.

I doubt you are interested in learning anything about abiogenesis or evolution, or understanding that they have stood up to the scientific method, and creationism will not go near it.  If you are though, educate yourself to what we know we can reproduce and test, here:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhWds7djuWo
[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiNGK3y5Ypg[/youtube]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miller-urey_experiment

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6QYDdgP9eg[/youtube]

Offline Frank

• Reader
  • Darwins +38/-20
  • You're doin' my head in!!
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 03:49:12 PM »

You haven't even written this alleged "paper" yet but you have already decided your conclusion. Goddidit. What are you planning on writing it on, the back of a stamp? Paper my arse!

"Atheism is not a mission to convert the world. It only seems that way because when other religions fall away, atheism is what is left behind".

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +270/-31
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 03:56:20 PM »
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline PingTheServer

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Devil's Advocate
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 09:34:10 PM »

You haven't even written this alleged "paper" yet but you have already decided your conclusion. Goddidit. What are you planning on writing it on, the back of a stamp? Paper my arse!

Ya really.  Someone show us the pic of Patriot College.

Offline Whitney

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Happy Atheist
    • Happy Atheist Forum
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2008, 01:02:38 AM »

First of all, the theory of evolution has nothing to do with explaining what happened before the formation of the first organism.

Second, if you are doing a research paper, maybe you should research the theory for yourself?  You might learn something.  www.talkorigins.com or http://evolution.berkeley.edu/ is a good place to start.  If this is for college (in which case I hope this is not for biology 101) then you need to find a book on evolution instead.  There is a book called "Darwin for Beginners" which, although not in depth, is a decent very quick overview presented in a cartoon like form.  I would also suggest The Blind Watchmaker by Richard Dawkins because he does a good job of explaining evolution by natural selection on a layman's level.  Which actually brings me to my next point.

Evolution being real does not make the idea of a creator impossible.  It only hurts certain concepts of god.  Frankly, if your religion conflicts with reality you shouldn't expect reality to change to suit your faith...it works the other way around. 

Finally, young earth creationism (the kind that doesn't accept evolution) is not a scientific theory.  It's just a fancy way of saying "god did it" in a disguise currently being called Intelligent Design.  I'm sorry, but if this world was created by some designer, that designer was far from intelligent.  Humans develop sexual drives long before they are mentally ready for parenthood, our backs hurt because they aren't ideal for walking upright, our bodies produce waste because they are not fully efficient, we grow 'wisdom' teeth which often cause dental issues requiring removal....the list is very long and not limited to humans alone.

Zodion

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2008, 12:27:42 AM »

You might try going to your local bookstore or library and reading up on the physics of the Big Bang so you can learn how the gases, solids, and liquids were formed.

BTW, Evolution and the big bang are separate theories. The Big Bang describes how our universe began in expansion and evolution describes how living things change over time (and also tells us that all life is related).

Also, I find it interesting that you think that matter needs to be created while exempting God from needing a creator. Of course, you'll probably say that God is eternal, but then why can't matter be eternal?

You sir are an intelligent person, i have always beleived that the universe is eternal and just continues to change throughout all of time.