Author Topic: Holy Water May be Harmful to Your Health  (Read 363 times)

Online Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +503/-17
  • Is this going somewhere?
Holy Water May be Harmful to Your Health
« on: September 15, 2013, 05:46:52 AM »
Mark:16:18 - " they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well."

Holy Water May be Harmful to Your Health, Study Finds

Despite its purported cleansing properties, holy water could actually be more harmful than healing, according to a new Austrian study on "holy" springs.

Researchers at the Institute of Hygiene and Applied Immunology at the Medical University of Vienna tested water from 21 springs in Austria and 18 fonts in Vienna and found samples contained up to 62 million bacteria per milliliter of water, none of it safe to drink.

Tests indicated 86 percent of the holy water, commonly used in baptism ceremonies and to wet congregants' lips, was infected with common bacteria found in fecal matter such as E. coli, enterococci and Campylobacter, which can lead to diarrhea, cramping, abdominal pain, and fever.

Nitrates, commonly found in fertilizer from farms, were also identified in the water. If ingested, water containing nitrates over the maximum contaminant level could cause serious illness, especially in infants younger than 6 months, which could lead to death if untreated, according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

"We need to warn people against drinking from these sources," said Dr Alexander Kirschner, study researcher and microbiologist at the Medical University of Vienna.

The study, published in the Journal of Water and Health, also found that all church and hospital chapel fonts contained bacteria -- the busier the church, the higher the bacterial count.
More at http://gma.yahoo.com/holy-water-may-harmful-health-study-finds-225105270--abc-news-health.html

And, as often been remarked, churches have lightning conductors. Obviously, the message is, "Believe in God's Power until it really matters and then trust in science."

RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce

Offline William

• Fellow
  • Darwins +92/-2
Re: Holy Water May be Harmful to Your Health
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 06:04:29 AM »
Repugnant water:

Git mit uns

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 07:25:28 AM »
Just as bad as having everybody drinking communion wine out of the same glass.

I can see everybody ducking next time the priest goes among the flock with the sprinkles.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 11:30:58 AM »
I found this part to be most curious.

There have been advances made for the more hygienic use of holy water, including the invention of a holy water dispenser a few years ago by an Italian priest, while studies have also indicated that adding salt (at recommended levels of 20 percent) can help disinfect the water.

Wait, are we depending on science to help disinfect holy water?  You'd think a quick prayer to god would solve the bacterial issue...
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +275/-34
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 11:37:37 AM »
<snip>
Wait, are we depending on science to help disinfect holy water?  You'd think a quick prayer to god would solve the bacterial issue...

Only OneTrueChristiansTM rely on prayer to solve the issue. The others are heathens.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-1
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 11:56:49 AM »
If one were to boil holy water, would the holiness evaporate?

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +297/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 01:17:40 PM »

It'd probably catch on fire. That Devil water!

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline William

• Fellow
  • Darwins +92/-2
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 06:28:44 AM »

No, but the magic would be concentrated ... or reduced ...  :? :? :? :?
Git mit uns

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +123/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 08:12:00 PM »
Holy Water May be Harmful to Your Health, Study Finds
Tests indicated 86 percent of the holy water, commonly used in baptism ceremonies and to wet congregants' lips, was infected with common bacteria found in fecal matter such as E. coli, enterococci and Campylobacter, which can lead to diarrhea, cramping, abdominal pain, and fever.

Now I have a medical reason to avoid churches.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.