Author Topic: An "answer" the doesn't answer anything  (Read 265 times)

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
An "answer" the doesn't answer anything
« on: September 13, 2013, 08:18:42 AM »
I google news the word "atheist" and now know to just skip anything from WND or the Blaze, but this op ed piece came up.

An Atheist challenge to all Christians

1.    If you believe in “hell”, please give me the exact location of this legendary place. Is it underground? On another planet? Elsewhere in the vast expanse of our universe? Exact co-ordinates would be best.

2.    Ditto for “heaven”.

1 and 2 are questions with the answers not known to man. Look at it like a yearend bonus. Either you get it or you don’t. The exact amount (place) is not known to you. If it was it would be a 13th cheque not a bonus, a fact not based on performance (faith) but negotiated prior to you starting to work (reason to believe)

3.    Please explain the contradictions here:

a.    God’s love is unconditional and eternal unless you are circumcised (Gal 5:2) or not circumcised (Gen 17:10).

b.    God’s love is unconditional and eternal unless you are a murderer (Ex 20:13) or not a murderer (Ex 32:27).

3.A, Gal 5:2 If you bother to read further you would note the reason,  it explains Jesus and the Holy Spirit has taken the new role and a new covenant through faith, not physical marking. That explains that Gen 17:10 was a deal brokered with Abraham, but when Jesus released man of their sins the covenant was renewed. I can pull any verse or any statement by any person and quote it out of context to give it an alternative meaning. Reading does not automatically go to understanding.

3.B, Ex 20:13 It was laid down as a law to men not to commit murder. In Ex 32:27 again a verse quoted out of context. If you read the whole Ex 32 you will see that the people disobeyed a law and Moses in anger called on them all to be murdered. Afterwards he went back to God to beg for forgiveness for his people as he felt he betrayed them.

4.    Do you eat pork? (Bacon, gammon, eisbein, chops).  Do you know that is a sin? (Lev 11:8).

5.    Do you eat prawns, or crayfish? (Lev 11:12) If you do, are you aware that it is a sin?

4 and 5 A lot of the insects and sea foods mentioned there are poisonous and disease carriers, Wasps, bee’s, fly’s, shrimp’s, crayfish etc.  Referring to pork, it is well known that pigs also suffer from measles especially black measles and tape worms. Animals such as castle that regurgitate are safer to eat as these animals are not so susceptible to tape worms. Seafood may only really be safe if they are cooked properly at high temperature in fresh water, not something in big supply living in deserts. So the Bible is not only a religious book but also a guide to safe cooking as back in the day food could not be safely stored. Also this covers the only kill what you can eat in one day rule, do not waste and share.

6.    (Lev 14:48) “But if the priest comes to examine it and the mold has not spread after the house has been plastered, he shall pronounce the house clean, because the defiling mold is gone. 49 To purify the house he is to take two birds and some cedar wood, scarlet yarn and hyssop. 50 He shall kill one of the birds over fresh water in a clay pot. 51 Then he is to take the cedar wood, the hyssop, the scarlet yarn and the live bird, dip them into the blood of the dead bird and the fresh water, and sprinkle the house seven times. 52 He shall purify the house with the bird’s blood, the fresh water, the live bird, the cedar wood, the hyssop and the scarlet yarn. 53 Then he is to release the live bird in the open fields outside the town. In this way he will make atonement for the house, and it will be clean.”

Please explain how this procedure will help get rid of mold. Is this an example of the scientific advances of the bible?

6. Cedar wood. -  Cedar oil does not only help calm and balance energy, but also promotes spirituality, while helping to clear the respiratory system of excess phlegm and catarrh. It sorts out urinary tract infections, as well as bladder and kidney disorders, while improving oily skin and clearing up dandruff. So Cedar wood is a disinfectant, explains way using it on mould.

Water - "Wet dust don't fly." It is an accurate concept. Among the hundreds of cleaning solutions available in the marketplace, water continues to be the base for most of them, and water alone is still considered the best general agent for cleaning almost anything.

Hyssop - In "the old days" - before grocery store shelves were lined with cleaning products for every conceivable need, people used nature's products. Hyssop was readily available, especially in the Middle East. Because it had detergent properties, it was widely used to clean.

The scarlet yarn was used as not to stain pure white cotton as this was used for holy ceremonies back then.

Sorry, but no dark meaning behind this. The blood was to be a sacrifice, a sign of obedience towards the laws that was laid down.

7.    (Lev 19:19) According to god, “Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material.” So if you wear a polyester/cotton shirt, are you aware that it is a sin?

7.  The two items (factors) referred to mainly during the whole of Lev:19 refers to people not allowing double standards in life and in nature as symbolised by not mixing or breeding you animals in camps.

8.    (Lev 19:27) Again, according to god, “Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard.” So, if you shave, are you aware that it is a sin?

8. Throughout the bible (I believe I don’t have to include all the quotes as you seem to be well scripted in the bible) hair is seen as a sign of either, strength, proof of conviction or the appearance of a preacher. So by cutting your hair you could be losing conviction, strength and would not be seen as a believer by your peers.

9.    Why can god not heal amputees? Please provide references for your answer.

9. Because amputees are a result of mans doing, not a disease or something. God places man under tests of faith. Have you ever had that feeling that nothing is going to plan? Its because its not all your plan, just your free will. There is no reference for this answer as it is my point of view, just like non existence of God is your point of view.

10. If I were to ask you, “where is god/ allah?” could I assume that you would answer “everywhere”? Ergo:

a.    Would I be able to see him/her with my eyes? Failing that;

b.    If I were to sprinkle some talc powder on the ground, could I expect to see his/her footprints appear in the powder? Failing that;

c.    If I were to set-up a motion sensor, would I be able to detect his/her movement in a closed room? Failing that;

d.    If I had to set-up a heat detector in the same room, would I be able to detect his/her warmth? Failing that;

e.    If I spray paint into the air, would it stick to god? etc. etc.

10. As to this one if you read the Bible and know it like you claim to know it. You should know that there is no viable answer for this one and thus a trick question, used to show your dominance on the subject. I view this as a rhetorical question as there is no answer for this; you know there is no answer to this as I stated you seem to know the bible. Giving people a view of God would only cause them to attempt and make statues of painting of God. Human nature dictates that we go for tangible things. This is not allowed; again you should know this as being knowledgeable of the Bible. God only makes his presence known to the believers. Almost like a need to know basis, Atheists don't need to know, they need to believe. But again your free will remember?

Please Christians and atheists everybody for that matter feel free to comment. I know you don't need an invite. I used some material objects as examples just so that some of our material audience can understand.

I can only ask, is this a Poe? Lets take at #9 alone, so no natural explanations of any limb loss, ever. <Facepalm>
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 08:20:34 AM by Hatter23 »
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +747/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
Re: An "answer" the doesn't answer anything
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 08:51:23 AM »
If he's an atheist, he isn't very good at it. And people born without limbs or who lost limbs in earthquakes or tornados or cancer might be a little surprised to know that such mishaps are only human in origin.

Yea, he's a poe. While I don't disagree that his observations about why some things in the bible are taboo (pork, for instance), and that such things became taboo for health reasons (very sensible, and probably an effective ways of keeping people from doing harm to themselves), he makes it sound like an excuse for biblical text, not an argument against anything. He's no atheist.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +655/-28
  • Karma mooch
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 11:54:22 AM »
I like the challenge, but I have no desire to see someone die for the cause
in Oklahoma. 
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +307/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 05:02:50 PM »
I read half of it and got the impression it's a Christian masquerading as an atheist.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey