Author Topic: ParkingPlaces and Jetson Meet in Person!  (Read 563 times)

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
ParkingPlaces and Jetson Meet in Person!
« on: September 13, 2013, 09:45:05 PM »
I know it's rare for forum members to meet in person, but we made this happen, and we thought we would share some details.  So, we didn't get married, but we did meet over Pizza in Montana! 

My family and I are currently on a two week road trip from Texas, to Glacier National Park, so we decided it was an opportunity to meet another forum member.  It finally happened, and it was a blast.  We had great conversation about all sorts of topics.  The Pizza hit the spot, and my wife and son were tolerant enough to listen to Jetson and ParkingPlaces ramble endlessly about WWGHA, politics, bears, traveling, hiking, log homes, and all sorts of odd trivia.

ParkingPlaces gave us some great tips on how to continue our travels (we're headed to Yellowstone).  He gave me the great idea to travel through Utah and see some of that state (watch out Mormons, here we come!).  From everything I learned, ParkingPlaces is basically an outdoorsman to the bone!  He knows the area very well, and we got some history on his travels and work projects.

I can't tell you what he was wearing, because we each signed a non-disclosure agreement on sharing anything about our individual looks or person.  After all, too many clues would give away our true identities, leaving us open to...well, nothing really.  But besides that, we had a fantastic time, and I thoroughly enjoyed meeting another member of the forum in person, someone who has always made me laugh, or think with his replies and wit.

Thanks to ParkingPlaces for meeting us, and taking time out of your schedule to say hi and talk over dinner! 

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +769/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
Re: ParkingPlaces and Jetson Meet in Person!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 10:09:29 PM »
Yes, it is true. A good time was had by all, as long as you don't count his poor son, who had to spend the whole evening with grown-ups. And me. And while Jetson didn't look quite as cartoony as I had expected, it is fair to say that  he is, indeed, as brilliant as I am. His family was sweet and everything. Sadly, he found out his motel room was bugged and that sort of put a damper on the evening. (I think it was just a praying mantis, but he insisted it was a drone  ;D)

I wowed all three of them with tall tales, outright lies and the only joke I've ever been able to remember. I dutifully reminded them that I was old throughout the visit and they were amazingly tolerant.

I instructed them on how to have a great vacation, because I had one once and that makes me an expert. And I miss them already, because most people can't stand spending three hours with me.

It was fun. If anyone else ever makes it to Western Montana, let me know. I may or may not be in hiding, depending on who you are.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 01:18:09 AM »
Pictures or it didn't happen!  This sounds to much like a "the day I met god" story to me!   ;D

I will remain silent as to which of my two esteemed colleagues I am suggesting holds the 'god' role in the above sentence.....  :-X
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 01:26:07 AM »
Awesome!

I almost went to college in Bozeman, a very, very long time ago, so I read your post with a smile.  ;D
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +323/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 02:25:44 AM »
I met someone I knew for almost 10 years online in person. Funnily enough, she only lived a few counties over. I didn't know that, and she didn't tell me 'til 7 or so years online. Perhaps she was being cautious. Her reply when we met, "You're really tall." My reply, "I'm tall not really tall." Of course she's 5'2" so perhaps I am "really tall" being 6'4", and all.

It doesn't bother me that out of all the people I've met online, I've only met one in person.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +132/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 02:57:56 AM »
jetson, does ParkingPlaces smell of cognac and pancakes and does he sport a Paul Bunyan-esque beard?
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +79/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 04:34:20 AM »
How nice! Glad two of our brightest lights here had the opportunity to meet face to face. And that it went well.

If any of you ever make it to / near San Luis Obispo, let me know.

Enjoy the rest of your trip, jetson.

jetson, does ParkingPlaces smell of cognac and pancakes and does he sport a Paul Bunyan-esque beard?

I tend to picture PP as the dour, laconic storekeeper-type myself: cleanshaven, nearly bald, steely-blue eyes behind steel-rimmed glasses, ramrod posture, heart of gold.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 04:41:58 AM by wright »
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 08:39:05 AM »

Let's see...there may have been a hint of pancake, the beard was settling in as winter approaches, not really much of a cognac smell - mostly pizza. 

I did tell him that you and I have met - way back at the Houston conference.  That was one to remember with Christopher Hitchens!

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2013, 08:43:33 AM »
Pictures or it didn't happen!  This sounds to much like a "the day I met god" story to me!   ;D

I will remain silent as to which of my two esteemed colleagues I am suggesting holds the 'god' role in the above sentence.....  :-X

I have a picture of a praying mantis that was on the window of my hotel - and ParkingPlaces mentioned that he has never seen a praying mantis in the area.  I think it would be proof positive that we met, or that there may in fact be a god.  Thoughts?

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2013, 08:47:49 AM »

Give PP a little more time with the beard, and he could easily be mistaken for the Michelangelo depiction of God.  I won't talk about anything related to receding hairlines though, as that would open me up to massive amounts of abuse by my good friend! 

Peace

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2013, 09:24:29 AM »
Jetson and PP... good for you two.

I have it on good authority most of Montana is inhabited by former law enforcement and intel types (especially Feds), so that never before seen praying mantis was probably some nanobug indeed.  ;)

As for me, if anyone ever finds themselves in central Oklahoma (and pray to Thor you don't), I'd be willing to meet up to help you plan your escape and share som  of the local low point beer!

Thanks for the info, gents
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +769/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2013, 01:37:33 PM »
I tend to picture PP as the dour, laconic storekeeper-type myself: cleanshaven, nearly bald, steely-blue eyes behind steel-rimmed glasses, ramrod posture, heart of gold.

Wright, couldn't you have imagined me as erudite so I wouldn't have had to look it up?

You were close on the bald, but I only have, oh, I dunno, aluminum blue eyes. But I suggest you keep your image of me in your head. Its a lot cooler than the truth.  ;D

I would abuse Jetson about hinting at my having a certain amount of hair loss, but I don't want to beat a man while he's down. He admitted to me that he was homesick. I guess vacations are a bitch.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2013, 06:53:36 PM »
Excellent!  I've met up with at least 7 people on the forum.  It's always interesting to see who is who.
John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +79/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2013, 08:52:07 PM »
Wright, couldn't you have imagined me as erudite so I wouldn't have had to look it up?

You were close on the bald, but I only have, oh, I dunno, aluminum blue eyes. But I suggest you keep your image of me in your head. Its a lot cooler than the truth.  ;D

Why should I have to imagine you as erudite when I can just read your posts?

Sorry I was a bit off on the eye color. The assumed follicle loss seemed a likely correlation between your previously stated age and the sad realities of being a post-prime male. But rest assured, I have no particular desire to see how well my guesses line up with the real PP. If real life was more like our imaginations, fiction would be less popular  ;).

Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +50/-0
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2013, 09:07:53 PM »
Awesome.

If anyone is ever in the Buffalo, NY area, send me a PM and lets meet up over coffee or something. I met one member in person (a Christian who no longer posts here), but that's it. We talked mostly about hockey, and didn't mention religion at all.
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +323/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2013, 09:38:28 PM »
Awesome.

If anyone is ever in the Buffalo, NY area, send me a PM and lets meet up over coffee or something. I met one member in person (a Christian who no longer posts here), but that's it. We talked mostly about hockey, and didn't mention religion at all.

What happened to Bison, New York? Murderer!

:'(

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2013, 09:41:23 AM »
That's great, guys, but why doesn't anyone ever visit me? 

Oh, yeah, right.  Never mind.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2013, 08:14:17 PM »
That's great, guys, but why doesn't anyone ever visit me? 

Oh, yeah, right.  Never mind.

Ummm...you don't have the same geography!

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +96/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2013, 07:11:35 PM »

I have a picture of a praying mantis that was on the window of my hotel - and ParkingPlaces mentioned that he has never seen a praying mantis in the area.  I think it would be proof positive that we met, or that there may in fact be a god.  Thoughts?
It's proof that insects believe in god--evidenced by the praying
* Religion: institutionalized superstition, period.

"Many of my ultra-conservative Republican friends...have trouble accepting the idea God is not a Republican. " ~OldChurchGuy

"We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it."  ~ParkingPlaces