Author Topic: Syria and the end times  (Read 477 times)

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +771/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
Syria and the end times
« on: September 05, 2013, 11:57:29 PM »
And they ask me why I dislike religion so much. It appears that the right wing religious nuts of the world are all excited/worried/orgasmic about the Syria thing and the possibility of US bombing. I guess because maybe we are supposed to do the dirty work for god and make Damascas into ruins, as per Isaiah 17.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/09/syria-joel-rosenberg-damascus-countdown-magog

If we have congress men or women who are voting to support Obama and bombing just because it might help speed up Armageddon, they are doing it wrong. I sure hope this isn't the case. But I have no reason to think otherwise. There are bound to be a few. I just hope those few aren't the ones that make legislation pass.

And I hope it is indeed just a few. But I may be more naïve that I ever thought.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
Re: Syria and the end times
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 10:53:07 AM »
I don't understand the giddiness of people wanting Armageddon to arrive.  I think almost everyone can agree that the suffering and murder of innocent people is something we want to avoid.  But for Armageddon and the events afterward they will produce nothing but unimaginable suffering and bloodshed of millions.  Men, women, and children's dead bodies will be piled up and rot in the sun as cemeteries won't be able to bury them fast enough.  Survivors won't be able to mourn their dead friends and family since their bodies will be wrecked with pain that the unsealed scrolls will unleash upon everyone. 

And all of that just so a god can come back to Earth.  If so he can keep as far away as possible, I love my friends and family too much.
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +771/-6
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 11:47:09 AM »
Well, I assume the christians get to feel a little extra smug as they are whisked up to heaven just before the fit hits the shan. That could be incentive.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +258/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 03:49:29 PM »
I don't understand the giddiness of people wanting Armageddon to arrive.  I think almost everyone can agree that the suffering and murder of innocent people is something we want to avoid.  But for Armageddon and the events afterward they will produce nothing but unimaginable suffering and bloodshed of millions.  Men, women, and children's dead bodies will be piled up and rot in the sun as cemeteries won't be able to bury them fast enough.  Survivors won't be able to mourn their dead friends and family since their bodies will be wrecked with pain that the unsealed scrolls will unleash upon everyone. 

And all of that just so a god can come back to Earth.  If so he can keep as far away as possible, I love my friends and family too much.

Oh it is simple. Rotten, nasty, vile, but simple.

They want confimation on their myth and a chance to say "I told you so" so others who weren't the right kind of theists(i.e. them) can suffer.

An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 03:54:32 PM »
What is it with theists and "the end times" that gives them a raging hard-on?
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 07:31:58 PM »
And what event lately has not been "an end time" thing?  And yes, they do seem to get their undies in a wade over this kind of stuff.  Just like when they tell us we will burn in hell and look forward to the "I told you so" phase of it.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +79/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 08:30:44 PM »

Probably a combination of the wish-fulfillment of seeing their SPAG confirmed and a not-so-subtle sadistic anticipation of seeing the rest of us go down the fiery tubes.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +771/-6
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 11:23:33 PM »
The story is so complex. Just trying to follow which forces in the middle east are for and against the Syrian rebels takes an advanced degree in bullshit.

For example. Which of these two groups supports the Syrian rebels:

1. United States 
2. Al Qaeda   

Answer? Both support the Syrian rebels.

I'm surprised that those two don't get along better. After all, both are big on bombing things. That's common ground if there ever was common ground.

Anyway, here is an article on the subject and a chart showing who loves who in the middle east. A little hard to read, because of all the confusing arrows, but it isn't the chart makers fault.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/08/26/the-middle-east-explained-in-one-sort-of-terrifying-chart/

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2013, 12:43:48 AM »
I read the other day that Limbaugh, or someone, is already stating that it was chemical weapons and Obama ordered Syria to use them.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2013, 04:53:37 AM »

The inherent high of an act of revenge.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.