Author Topic: Does God get a fail in the love category?  (Read 5132 times)

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +157/-14
  • Belief is not a choice.
    • Talk Origins
Re: Does God get a fail in the love category?
« Reply #203 on: November 05, 2013, 02:47:02 PM »
The F- was pertaining the alleged "love" of this proposed/concocted "God" thing. It was not addressing how successful the credulity was spread.
"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Greatest I am

• Graduate
  • Darwins +9/-6
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #204 on: November 05, 2013, 03:29:44 PM »
Noted. Thanks.

Regards
DL

Offline epidemic

• Graduate
  • Darwins +28/-11
« Reply #205 on: November 06, 2013, 12:54:48 PM »
The F- was pertaining the alleged "love" of this proposed/concocted "God" thing. It was not addressing how successful the credulity was spread.

The bronze age bumpkins who wrote the old testament did not say a whole lot about god being benevolent or loving???  Did they?

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +157/-14
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #206 on: November 06, 2013, 03:21:33 PM »

The bronze age bumpkins who wrote the old testament did not say a whole lot about god being benevolent or loving???  Did they?

There are some passages in the Psalms that refer to God's 'goodness' ("The Lord is my Shepard..." etc) but it doesn't really square with the nonsense written in Exodus 21, Leviticus 20-25, or 1 Samuel 15 where slavery and mass killing are endorsed. The stuff looks to be far more consistent with a concoction of fearful savagely MEN then some "loving" supreme being who all should strive to mimic.
"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline epidemic

• Graduate
  • Darwins +28/-11
« Reply #207 on: November 06, 2013, 03:31:44 PM »

There are some passages in the Psalms that refer to God's 'goodness' ("The Lord is my Shepard..." etc) but it doesn't really square with the nonsense written in Exodus 21, Leviticus 20-25, or 1 Samuel 15 where slavery and mass killing are endorsed. The stuff looks to be far more consistent with a concoction of fearful savagely MEN then some "loving" supreme being who all should strive to mimic.

complete agreement.

the other place where I see god described as kinda nice

For god so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son ...

It seems like only about 2 verses out of 31,000 verses describe god as loving.

Offline Greatest I am

• Graduate
  • Darwins +9/-6
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #208 on: November 06, 2013, 03:35:06 PM »
Eh. I would not use that quote for God loving as he could have just forgiven us without having Jesus murdered.

God shows more hate than love in that verse FMPOV.

If he loved us he would not have condemned us.

Regards
DL

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +157/-14
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #209 on: November 06, 2013, 03:40:24 PM »
Eh. I would not use that quote for God loving as he could have just forgiven us without having Jesus murdered.

Regards
DL

I agree very much so. But Christians are going to argue that God is the standard of what love is. So we can't judge God. Of course, this gets them into a serious conundrum regarding how they can tell if their God is good or not, but that is another debate. 

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +87/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #210 on: November 06, 2013, 07:17:25 PM »

Regards
DL

I agree very much so. But Christians are going to argue that God is the standard of what love is. So we can't judge God. Of course, this gets them into a serious conundrum regarding how they can tell if their God is good or not, but that is another debate.

Not at all!!  He's good because the bible says he is!  And we believe the bible because gawd tells us to!  See?  Easy!!!
* Religion: institutionalized superstition, period.

* The existence of apologetics is evidence against the existence of the deity in question.

"We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it."  ~ParkingPlaces

Offline Greatest I am

• Graduate
  • Darwins +9/-6
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #211 on: November 07, 2013, 10:23:06 AM »

Regards
DL

I hear you and yes, they judge their God to be good and if we agree all is fine but if we judge differently, then we are told not to judge. How do you fight such idiocy?

That was rhetorical as we are on the same page and know that logic and reason do not trump faith in the minds of the mentally religiously manipulated.

Regards
DL

Offline Greatest I am

• Graduate
  • Darwins +9/-6
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #212 on: November 07, 2013, 10:24:42 AM »

Regards
DL

Not at all!!  He's good because the bible says he is!  And we believe the bible because gawd tells us to!  See?  Easy!!!

Yes but you have to judge the words to be true.
See, not so easy.

Regards
DL

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +677/-1
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #213 on: November 07, 2013, 06:17:26 PM »
That's where faith comes in. Plus, god touched my heart, so I know.

Or something like that. &)
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +157/-14
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #214 on: November 07, 2013, 07:05:09 PM »

The alleged "God experience" is indistinguishable from SPAG (self-projection as god), hallucination, over emotionalism, make-believe/imagination, and superstition. 

Offline DrPancake

• Freshman
  • Darwins +6/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #215 on: November 07, 2013, 07:25:01 PM »
Is this thread in regards to Yahweh specifically?

Offline Greatest I am

• Graduate
  • Darwins +9/-6
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #216 on: November 07, 2013, 08:40:51 PM »

Telepathy or did he give you the finger, er, use his finger that is?

Regards
DL

Offline Greatest I am

• Graduate
  • Darwins +9/-6
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #217 on: November 07, 2013, 08:43:46 PM »

The alleged "God experience" is indistinguishable from SPAG (self-projection as god), hallucination, over emotionalism, make-believe/imagination, and superstition.

Wow. That statement is as un-provable as when theist say God is real.

Tsk tsk.

Poor language.

If I am wrong, prove your statement.

Regards
DL

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +157/-14
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #218 on: November 07, 2013, 10:54:54 PM »

Tsk tsk.

Poor language.

Regards
DL

Actually it's not unprovable. The question depends upon what one's standards of evidence are and what one's definition of "prove" is. The claim that one has had an "experience" with a God is testable. In these cases God believers believe that their deity actually manifests in reality. If this is the case then we should be able to detect this deity. Yet we don't. And thus, the claim is fundamentally indistinguishable from someone who is fibbing, lying or in error about having said experience. Furthermore, with the mass of examples of human beings being mistaken or in error, stretching the truth, or outright lying about their alleged supernatural experiences the claim requires more than just a "b/c I said so" statement to establish that something real actually occurred in accordance with their claim. I know this might worry you b/c you believe in telepathy but I'm sorry. That hasn't been demonstrated either. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. There isn't even ordinary evidence for an alleged "God experience". Lots of people throughout history have attempted to use this "I said so" argument to justify all types of absurd, irrational, or immoral actions. There is simply no sound reason for thinking that other people are somehow "special" and have received some divine accommodation (for one b/c the reasons given to think that a deity exists are either irrational or incoherent). Someone can choose to believe they had some divine experience but those claims are a dime a dozen and without any further method for demonstrating such claims there is a far better chance that said person is (at the very least) in error regarding their interpretation. Again, people are wrong about all sorts of things all the time (on a grand scale) where they attempt to engage in self-diagnosis of one kind or another. Senses fail. Memory fails. Rational/critical thought fails. This is part of the process of evolution. Our cognitive faculties have an uncanny ability to mislead us. On the bright side, that wonderful thing called The Scientific Method (with the use of logic, reason, and evidence) is there to aid us in avoiding mistakes (especially when it comes to extraordinary claims of the supernatural, miraculous, or mystical).

Finally, I can speak from first hand experience that "God experience" claims are no different (aka - indistinguishable) from heightened emotion and SPAG/self-talk. Furthermore, I can also compare that experience with literally hundreds of other ex-Christians who understand this phenomena quite well too - the "hearing/feeling of the Holy Spirit",  the 'speaking in tongues', the "still small voice of God", the "Spirit tugging on the heart" etc. These are all completely natural experiences and there simply is no sound reason for thinking otherwise. Of course, Occam's Razor is an aid here as well. The explanation with the least assumptions is the methodologically natural one (and David Hume's Treatise on Miracles is an aid as well). So, I think it has been "proven" (in as much as we can 'prove' anything) that these alleged experiences of "God" by Christians are indistinguishable from superstition.

Offline Greatest I am

• Graduate
  • Darwins +9/-6
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #219 on: November 10, 2013, 02:48:15 PM »

Tsk tsk.

Poor language.

Regards
DL

Actually it's not unprovable. The question depends upon what one's standards of evidence are and what one's definition of "prove" is. The claim that one has had an "experience" with a God is testable. In these cases God believers believe that their deity actually manifests in reality. If this is the case then we should be able to detect this deity. Yet we don't. And thus, the claim is fundamentally indistinguishable from someone who is fibbing, lying or in error about having said experience. Furthermore, with the mass of examples of human beings being mistaken or in error, stretching the truth, or outright lying about their alleged supernatural experiences the claim requires more than just a "b/c I said so" statement to establish that something real actually occurred in accordance with their claim. I know this might worry you b/c you believe in telepathy but I'm sorry. That hasn't been demonstrated either. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. There isn't even ordinary evidence for an alleged "God experience". Lots of people throughout history have attempted to use this "I said so" argument to justify all types of absurd, irrational, or immoral actions. There is simply no sound reason for thinking that other people are somehow "special" and have received some divine accommodation (for one b/c the reasons given to think that a deity exists are either irrational or incoherent). Someone can choose to believe they had some divine experience but those claims are a dime a dozen and without any further method for demonstrating such claims there is a far better chance that said person is (at the very least) in error regarding their interpretation. Again, people are wrong about all sorts of things all the time (on a grand scale) where they attempt to engage in self-diagnosis of one kind or another. Senses fail. Memory fails. Rational/critical thought fails. This is part of the process of evolution. Our cognitive faculties have an uncanny ability to mislead us. On the bright side, that wonderful thing called The Scientific Method (with the use of logic, reason, and evidence) is there to aid us in avoiding mistakes (especially when it comes to extraordinary claims of the supernatural, miraculous, or mystical).

Finally, I can speak from first hand experience that "God experience" claims are no different (aka - indistinguishable) from heightened emotion and SPAG/self-talk. Furthermore, I can also compare that experience with literally hundreds of other ex-Christians who understand this phenomena quite well too - the "hearing/feeling of the Holy Spirit",  the 'speaking in tongues', the "still small voice of God", the "Spirit tugging on the heart" etc. These are all completely natural experiences and there simply is no sound reason for thinking otherwise. Of course, Occam's Razor is an aid here as well. The explanation with the least assumptions is the methodologically natural one (and David Hume's Treatise on Miracles is an aid as well). So, I think it has been "proven" (in as much as we can 'prove' anything) that these alleged experiences of "God" by Christians are indistinguishable from superstition.

I understand that you think non-believers have proven that , "The alleged "God experience" is indistinguishable from SPAG (self-projection as god), hallucination, over emotionalism, make-believe/imagination, and superstition. no God etc."

The point is that you have not shown the proof of this extra ordinary claim with the extraordinary evidence you demand from those who believe in their extra ordinary claims about a real God.

That makes your claim no more valid than theirs.

I admit that I cannot prove my claim.

Either admit the same for your claim of prove somehow that I was hallucinating or subject to the other qualifiers you put forward.

Regards
DL

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +87/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #220 on: November 10, 2013, 04:52:25 PM »

I understand that you think non-believers have proven that , "The alleged "God experience" is indistinguishable from SPAG (self-projection as god), hallucination, over emotionalism, make-believe/imagination, and superstition. no God etc."

The point is that you have not shown the proof of this extra ordinary claim with the extraordinary evidence you demand from those who believe in their extra ordinary claims about a real God.

Either admit the same for your claim of prove somehow that I was hallucinating or subject to the other qualifiers you put forward.

Regards
DL

I had what I believed to be a "god touched me" experience in high school.  It was that experience that kept me from donning the title "atheist" for years as I gradually migrated away from Catholicism, then Xianity, then god-belief.  I did an experiment where I tried to duplicate the feeling/experience, sans worship.  I came extremely close; it wasn't the exact same feeling, but it was definitely a transcendental experience.  And it was that experience that allowed me to finally close the door to god belief.

I don't claim now, and did not then, that being able to experience this type of feeling without worship is evidence of no god.  It *is*, however, evidence that this type of experience requires no worship/religion.  That being the case, I'm comfortable with the leap "they why bother with god?"

While the type of experience I created is not proof-positive of anything, it is equally true that any other type of experience/feeling/emotion is also not proof-positive of anything.  Essentially, claims of god through feelings/tongues/hallucinations can be discarded, IMHO.

The claim that heightened emotional/spiritual/whatever-you-wanna-call-it experiences can be had independent of religion is *not* extraordinary; in fact, it's the opposite.  I know I could replicate this experiment, no gods (or, at least, no worship) required--i'm claiming no supernatural or extraordinary involvement whatsoever.
* Religion: institutionalized superstition, period.

* The existence of apologetics is evidence against the existence of the deity in question.

"We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it."  ~ParkingPlaces

Offline Greatest I am

• Graduate
  • Darwins +9/-6
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #221 on: November 10, 2013, 08:27:29 PM »
I have no problem with your anecdotal rendering as you are not saying that all others who experience something are hallucinating as a fact.

Our other friend did.

Regards
DL

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +157/-14
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #222 on: November 11, 2013, 05:52:15 PM »

Regards
DL

You have missed the point entirely. It is not an extraordinary claim whatsoever to say that alleged religious experiences are indistinguishable from SPAG, self-talk, or otherwise noted things therein. It is quite ordinary and common (and the mistakes, false interpretations, and outright lies are just as common). Second, as mentioned prior, via Occam's Razor we can shave off the claims to the supernatural (as they have no explanatory power and can be psychologically explained without reference to a supposed transcendent realm). Thus, we can explain those alleged miracles with far less assumptions - no need for the miraculous.

If Christians were to admit, "I can't prove my claim to having a supernatural experience. I have no demonstrable evidence of it." we would be having a different discussion b/c then I would be asking what reason they have that anyone should accept the claims of their religion/bible based upon a 'religious experience' (especially since those theological claims are often irrational) and following that I'd be asking why they are interpreting their experience as supernatural. Christians often want us non-believers to follow them into misinterpretation and SPAG (and self delusion). Since their claims are unjustified, and given the ample evidence of human misinterpretation and error, it is correct to reject their claims to the mirculous and explain them in a fashion that is consistent with reason (aka - makes less assumptions, has explanatory power, and is not as susceptible to human interpretive error).

See the below references for more info on the errors of alleged religious experience. I find it quite justified in holding that religious experiences are indistinguishable from natural phenomena.

http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/theism/experience.html

http://dlicorish.hubpages.com/hub/Religious-Experience-An-Analysis

Offline Greatest I am

• Graduate
  • Darwins +9/-6
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #223 on: November 12, 2013, 11:11:34 AM »
And if you would admit that you cannot prove your claim then we would indeed be having a different discussion.

Take the log out of your eye.

We have no argument on the spirit of what you said. We do on the way you said it.

Regards
DL
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 11:13:09 AM by Greatest I am »

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +157/-14
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #224 on: November 12, 2013, 12:11:26 PM »
And if you would admit that you cannot prove your claim then we would indeed be having a different discussion.

Take the log out of your eye.

We have no argument on the spirit of what you said. We do on the way you said it.

Regards
DL

You obviously didn't attempt to thoroughly understand my response, did you? And you also contradicted yourself. If you "have no argument" regarding what I stated then it stands that you aren't disagreeing with it. As such then, the argument stands. There is sufficient evidence to "prove" that claims to miraculous 'religious experiences' are indistinguishable from natural occurrences (aka SPAG, self talk, etc). If this makes you uncomfortable b/c of your belief in 'telepathy' then perhaps it would be better to practice skepticism regarding it, rather than defense. There seems to be so much at stake for you regarding this assertion but I'm interested in separating fact from fiction and discovering what is true (and this argument is not meant as an attack on your belief of telepathy, fyi). All of the available demonstrable evidence (and sound reasoning) demonstrates to me quite clearly that claimed alleged religious experiences are not the product of the miraculous, are much better explained in terms of natural phenomena, and are quite identical in nature and appearance (indistinguishable) to events that are common, normal, and natural. 

Offline Greatest I am

• Graduate
  • Darwins +9/-6
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #225 on: November 12, 2013, 12:22:36 PM »
What I mostly meant was that I was not going to argue about the use of language if you did not already recognize the logical fallacy of your use of it.

I criticise theist for poor speech and do the same with my atheist friends so don't take it personal.
You can always just blame my view as being because I am French.

Regards
DL

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +157/-14
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #226 on: November 12, 2013, 12:43:14 PM »
What I mostly meant was that I was not going to argue about the use of language if you did not already recognize the logical fallacy of your use of it.

I criticise theist for poor speech and do the same with my atheist friends so don't take it personal.

Regards
DL

Huh? Poor speech is your accusation now? If you did not understand what was written then perhaps instead of immediately forcing the accusation of 'poor speech'you should have asked for clarification (instead of having a knee jerk reaction to an argument that seemingly threatened your presumption of an alleged 'telepathy' experience). There was no logical fallacy in my response (so far as I articulated) and you did not bother to point one out if you thought there was. You can choose to criticize anyone you like for anything but unless you actually point out specifics or demonstrate such claims, they won't hold any merit or accomplish your intent.

Btw, if your alleged telepathy claims were demonstrable you could make yourself a very rich man (Nobel Prize, sponsorships etc), and in fact I would jump on board and be one of your first investors for further research (were talking thousands of dollars/pounds here). But the way you reacted in defending the non-demonstrable (self-diagnoses) fashion in which you did wasn't helping that case (it was doing the reverse). If you know you can't demonstrate it, why even bring it up here? It's a moot point (and also looks to be indistinguishable from a misapprehension, as is far more common with human beings than any such interpretation). The bottom line is, I'm open to your interpretation but say-so is not sufficient.   

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +677/-1
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #227 on: November 13, 2013, 06:55:11 PM »
Most cultures have some form of mystical experience. People outside of that culture generally assume that the experiences of yogis, mullahs, vodun priests, santeros, etc. are not real evidence of the supernatural. Research into such phenomena has been conducted for centuries, with no sign that there is any not-natural explanation. 

When a "mystical experience" is indistinguishable to the observer from a lie, a mistake, a common brain phenomena or some form of insanity, why assume that the mystical explanation --the one with the least evidence-- is the real one? :?
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +272/-76
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #228 on: November 14, 2013, 01:45:42 PM »
What do you have against Yogi Bear? Huh? Huh?

Or is that Yogi Berra...? I get them confused....

;)

-Nam

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +231/-5
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #229 on: November 14, 2013, 02:09:32 PM »
Most cultures have some form of mystical experience. People outside of that culture generally assume that the experiences of yogis, mullahs, vodun priests, santeros, etc. are not real evidence of the supernatural. Research into such phenomena has been conducted for centuries, with no sign that there is any not-natural explanation. 

When a "mystical experience" is indistinguishable to the observer from a lie, a mistake, a common brain phenomena or some form of insanity, why assume that the mystical explanation --the one with the least evidence-- is the real one? :?
Because we've been conditioned to be ashamed of phrases like "I don't know" or "I don't have an explanation".  For some, having a made up answer is better than having no answer at all.  All the easier if the made up answer makes you feel good or special.

Offline Greatest I am

• Graduate
  • Darwins +9/-6
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #230 on: November 17, 2013, 05:19:36 PM »

Regards
DL

Huh? Poor speech is your accusation now? If you did not understand what was written then perhaps instead of immediately forcing the accusation of 'poor speech'you should have asked for clarification (instead of having a knee jerk reaction to an argument that seemingly threatened your presumption of an alleged 'telepathy' experience). There was no logical fallacy in my response (so far as I articulated) and you did not bother to point one out if you thought there was. You can choose to criticize anyone you like for anything but unless you actually point out specifics or demonstrate such claims, they won't hold any merit or accomplish your intent.

Btw, if your alleged telepathy claims were demonstrable you could make yourself a very rich man (Nobel Prize, sponsorships etc), and in fact I would jump on board and be one of your first investors for further research (were talking thousands of dollars/pounds here). But the way you reacted in defending the non-demonstrable (self-diagnoses) fashion in which you did wasn't helping that case (it was doing the reverse). If you know you can't demonstrate it, why even bring it up here? It's a moot point (and also looks to be indistinguishable from a misapprehension, as is far more common with human beings than any such interpretation). The bottom line is, I'm open to your interpretation but say-so is not sufficient.

I never expected it to be but that does not mean that in this place full of non-believers, explaining why I can only be 95% atheist does have relevance. At least to me. Reputation.

Regards
DL

Offline Greatest I am

• Graduate
  • Darwins +9/-6
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #231 on: November 17, 2013, 05:24:24 PM »

I do not think it is insanity so much as our own consciousness or minds at work trying to fill in blanks. They are anomalies though.

Regards
DL