Author Topic: Does God get a fail in the love category?  (Read 10341 times)

Offline Greatest I am

• Graduate
  • Darwins +10/-7
  • WWGHA Member
Does God get a fail in the love category?
« on: September 11, 2013, 06:14:46 PM »

All will agree that in loving someone, that love must be shown in works, deeds and actions. This allows for reciprocity which is what makes what would be a one way corrupted love a true two way love. 

Believers see God as the greatest lover of mankind yet he does no works or deeds to show us that he loves us.   

Love, like faith, without works and deeds is dead. That’s scripture. Love, to be true love, must be shown by works, deeds and actions. The fact that God does not show his love by works, deeds and actions at a personal or collective level means that God does not love us. Some are going to point to the notion that God created them but remember that that is not a provable claim so please do not offer it. Remember that way too high of a percentage of us are born with defects.

Do you believe that God loves us?

Why or why not?

------------------------------

God is also said to love us unconditionally. Yet if we do not love, honor, obey and believe in him, we are condemned and punished. Those are all conditions we must meet to get his love returned to us.

Does God love us unconditionally?

------------------------------

Love and morals developed to enhance interaction and living within groups of people and perhaps other entities.
God was alone and did not need to develop morals and could not love anyone because he was alone for untold millennia.

Is God even able to love?

Regards
DL

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
Re: Does God get a fail in the love category?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 08:32:22 PM »
God is imaginary so my answer is based on something that does not exist.

OK here goes..."God is love...God loves us more than life...God wants us to be in a personal relationship with Him...God has given us free will.........But (there is always a "but") pick incorrectly and you burn forever in pain and fire and all that really bad stuff.  That is what a loving God does.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Online LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +129/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 10:01:12 PM »

Believers see God as the greatest lover of mankind yet he does no works or deeds to show us that he loves us.   

The bold above is why I changed from a believer to a non-believer.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline epidemic

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +61/-14
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 07:44:55 AM »
I love Bo Derek, yet there are no signs, works, or deeds to prove it ;D

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +97/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 08:12:44 AM »

This quote is a sign, possibly a work and I would argue the act of positing it is a deed ;)

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 09:49:03 AM »
1 Corinthians 13:4-7
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
The Christian god is the very opposite of love.
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline Greatest I am

• Graduate
  • Darwins +10/-7
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 10:00:07 AM »
God is imaginary so my answer is based on something that does not exist.

OK here goes..."God is love...God loves us more than life...God wants us to be in a personal relationship with Him...God has given us free will.........But (there is always a "but") pick incorrectly and you burn forever in pain and fire and all that really bad stuff.  That is what a loving God does.

Seems most men and women have better morals than God.

When most of us are looking for love and are rejected we just lick our wounded egos and renew the seeking without wishing endless torture on the one who rejected us.

I do not quite agree with your first but do agree that the God's on offer are not real.

I think the old shaman did find something but religions took over and the pissing of the Gods began and continued till they invented a God who was the highest , if impossible, form.

Regards
DL

Offline Greatest I am

• Graduate
  • Darwins +10/-7
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 10:07:29 AM »

The bold above is why I changed from a believer to a non-believer.

Many point to the hell doctrine or the punishing of the innocent instead of the guilty but yours shows deeper thought as well.

FMPOV we all have a spiritual side and if you do then you might look into what this guy has to say. I believe in apotheosis and his methods are the closest I have found to what I experienced.

If you no longer have a spiritual itch to scratch, then please fight the evils of religions as militantly as you can.

Regards
DL

Offline Greatest I am

• Graduate
  • Darwins +10/-7
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 10:10:27 AM »

This quote is a sign, possibly a work and I would argue the act of positing it is a deed ;)

But without reciprocity, it is like peeing in black pants. You get a good feeling but no one notices.

Regards
DL

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +97/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 10:27:00 AM »

But without reciprocity, it is like peeing in black pants. You get a good feeling but no one notices.

Regards
DL

which is precisely why the trivial and mundane are used to "evidence" reciprocity by your common or garden believer

Offline epidemic

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +61/-14
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 11:14:08 AM »
Mock all you will,   But this morning I left my house and was delayed 2 seconds by my dog walking in front of me.   I got to the light and was proceeding through with the green when a guy flew through the intersection.

coincidence?   I don't think so.   This was obviously the work of a loving god who wanted me to live.

Story is true,   the conclusion is not:)

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 01:31:04 PM »
^^^it is the work of a loving dog...  :)
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline freakygin

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +8/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 08:05:59 PM »

DOG when reversed became GOD.
Coincidence?
If you argue correctly, you're never wrong..

Offline Star Stuff

• Darwins +151/-4
  • Carbon-based life form.
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 09:40:24 PM »
God is also said to love us unconditionally. Yet if we do not love, honor, obey and believe in him, we are condemned and punished. Those are all conditions we must meet to get his love returned to us.

God is an Imaginary Friend for Grown-ups

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2013, 04:02:10 AM »

Coincidence?

Do geese see god?

Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2013, 06:55:36 AM »
Mock all you will,   But this morning I left my house and was delayed 2 seconds by my dog walking in front of me.   I got to the light and was proceeding through with the green when a guy flew through the intersection.

coincidence?   I don't think so.   This was obviously the work of a loving god who wanted me to live.

Story is true,   the conclusion is not:)

That is what is wrong with believers, they see all actions in life as god's handiwork.

If God really loved you, he would have let you get blasted by the guy who flew through the intersection and brought you to heaven. 

When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Offline Greatest I am

• Graduate
  • Darwins +10/-7
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2013, 06:59:09 AM »

Regards
DL

which is precisely why the trivial and mundane are used to "evidence" reciprocity by your common or garden believer

No argument.

Regards
DL

Offline Greatest I am

• Graduate
  • Darwins +10/-7
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2013, 07:04:18 AM »

Coincidence?

Do geese see god?

Only when flying.

That is the only time they can see A holes in front of them.

Regards
DL

Offline epidemic

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +61/-14
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2013, 08:14:12 AM »

I love this picture.

It is near perfect.   The funny thing is that I do not know if would love God.  It is like asking me to love somebody I have never met and have only heard about second hand. 

Asking you to love god with the information available is like telling someone they will love liver, although my father told me liver was good I tried it and found it foul.  I do not hate god, I do not love god, I simply don't have any experience that says god actually exists.  My F'd up human brain interprets inputs and evaluates life experience and extrapolates evidence thus far I find god to be neither someone I would like or dislike.

hell If he knocked on my door that would be something concrete.

Offline Iamrational

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +9/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2013, 09:13:36 AM »

Problem is... how would you ever know it is the real god?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 09:19:40 AM by Iamrational »

Offline Greatest I am

• Graduate
  • Darwins +10/-7
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2013, 01:19:27 PM »

Problem is... how would you ever know it is the real god?

If one suffers apotheosis, one cannot help but know it thanks to feeling the pain and pleasure of it. Trust me I know of these things. Been there and done that.

Those who wait for God to knock at their door will wait forever. Those who do the knocking are the ones whom the  Godhead will open to.

The place to knock is inside of you. Where else would a God live?

Regards
DL
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 01:21:11 PM by Greatest I am »

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +789/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2013, 02:05:09 PM »
If one suffers apotheosis, one cannot help but know it thanks to feeling the pain and pleasure of it. Trust me I know of these things. Been there and done that.

Those who wait for God to knock at their door will wait forever. Those who do the knocking are the ones whom the  Godhead will open to.

Regards
DL

Just a note: Looking for something that doesn't exist and finding it is not a good thing.
Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-88
  • "Question Everything"
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2013, 05:08:02 AM »
I think the largest problem people have finding the Love of God is because they seek it in religions.  They expect too much. It's all give me give me give me w/o realizing there are 7.5 billion of us and growing.  I feel God's love every day, some days more than others, those are the days I need God most!  I feel God's presence the most when I am in my darkest hours,  this is an action.  People need to accept that these bodies are a temporary vessel and whatever happens to them are not dictated by God.  It is dictated by the individual and their surroundings.  God keeps our spirits alive not our flesh, IMO.

I just find it fascinating that so many here have drawn such strong conclusions when there is not enough knowledge to do so.  Religions are so obviously fake there is no wonder so many of you don't believe in a Loving Creator.  Our existence proves there is something extraordinary at work in the universe.  Something we are not even close to understanding.  I mean we don't even know what 75% of the universe is; we call it dark matter. So until then this mind will stay open to all the possibilities.  To me w/o a creator in the equation life has no meaning or purpose.  Humans did not create intelligence, it is a gift.  One so often that is not used wisely.

In conclusion I will have to say it is not God that fails at Love it is mortals.  God is not going to make us Love each other we have to make this decision on our own or it has no worth.  The difficulty I find is how to convince those that are selfish to think of others as well as yourself.  To think about how your actions involve every living thing on this planet so stop being selfish.
Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man.
Thomas Paine

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +222/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2013, 05:37:29 AM »
In conclusion I will have to say it is not God that fails at Love it is mortals.

+1.

God can't fail at love, because he doesn't exist.
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +222/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2013, 05:40:29 AM »

In fish, or on another planet.

Many who have schizophrenia, or have taken hard drugs have also "suffered" apotheosis, yet it's likely to be a delusion. How do you know your own apotheosis is not delusion?
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline epidemic

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +61/-14
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2013, 06:36:46 AM »
I think the largest problem people have finding the Love of God is because they seek it in religions.  They expect too much. It's all give me give me give me w/o realizing there are 7.5 billion of us and growing.  I feel God's love every day, some days more than others, those are the days I need God most!  I feel God's presence the most when I am in my darkest hours,  this is an action.  People need to accept that these bodies are a temporary vessel and whatever happens to them are not dictated by God.  It is dictated by the individual and their surroundings.  God keeps our spirits alive not our flesh, IMO.

I just find it fascinating that so many here have drawn such strong conclusions when there is not enough knowledge to do so.  Religions are so obviously fake there is no wonder so many of you don't believe in a Loving Creator.  Our existence proves there is something extraordinary at work in the universe.  Something we are not even close to understanding.  I mean we don't even know what 75% of the universe is; we call it dark matter. So until then this mind will stay open to all the possibilities.  To me w/o a creator in the equation life has no meaning or purpose.  Humans did not create intelligence, it is a gift.  One so often that is not used wisely.

In conclusion I will have to say it is not God that fails at Love it is mortals.  God is not going to make us Love each other we have to make this decision on our own or it has no worth.  The difficulty I find is how to convince those that are selfish to think of others as well as yourself.  To think about how your actions involve every living thing on this planet so stop being selfish.

I said this in another thread, and they basically poo pood it.  But if you don't believe in religion, and religion is based upon books from antiquity, isn't the root of your religious belief based those false religions?  If so why do you believe in god?  If there is a real god who does not reveal himself to us in any tangible way and we exclude the biblical evidence since it is false, how does one believe in him.

I contend that your roots of your religion are the very texts that you display scorn for.

To me it would be akin to believing in Zeus even though the writings about Zeus have been discredited. 

had we never found a text about god at all I believe you would not believe in a god that looks anything like the one you imagine now based on those texts.

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2013, 08:41:29 AM »

Mount Olympus?

Of course, the answer to this question entirely depends on how you define "god".  Most definitions there have been of god throughout history have been external to the human body (albeit able to store aspects of themself within those bodies). 

Looking inside oneself to find god seems like an impossibility.  Looking deep inside myself, I will ultimately find.....me.  And while I am indeed shockingly incredible, I am not quite so without humility as to regard myself as god - not in any definition of "god" I've ever encountered.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline jaimehlers

• Professor
  • Darwins +578/-18
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2013, 09:17:26 AM »
So, how do you distinguish this from SPAG, self-projection-as-god?

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +542/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2013, 01:13:08 PM »
It depends on what you mean by "love". If it is the general understanding, then "Yes"; if it is some weird definition of "love" hemmed about with exceptions and unlikely explanations, then "No."

Do you believe that God loves us?

Not in the same way that I love my family and dog. Apologists say what God does and then they call that "love".

God is also said to love us unconditionally. Does God love us unconditionally?

Who says that? I suspect it is deluded "fluffy-bunny, cafeteria Christians, who pick and choose the nice bits in the Bible, and who chant out this sort of garbage in a mindless manner. God does not love us unconditionally! What sort of god would that be?

2 Chronicles 15:13 Whosoever would not seek the LORD God of Israel should be put to death, whether small or great, whether man or woman.

John 15:6 "If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned."

2 Thessalonians 1:8 "In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:"

Also, those who work on the Sabbath, even collecting sticks, those women who try to tell men what to do, and a whole host of others are damned eternally. Keep to every one of His 623 commandments and you might, just might, experience some love after you are dead and there are no witnesses about.

Love and morals developed to enhance interaction and living within groups of people and perhaps other entities. God was alone and did not need to develop morals and could not love anyone because he was alone for untold millennia.

The fault here is that you have no idea what Christianity is saying, do you? God was not alone. He had created the Host of Heaven (inc. the Devil and Jesus) way before he made the Earth and the firmament and the little holes where the rain comes in, and the fountains of the deep and seas and Malaria and polio, and smallpox and cripples, etc.

Is God even able to love?

Yes but not "love" as we know it, Jim.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 01:14:59 PM by Graybeard »
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”