Author Topic: Does God get a fail in the love category?  (Read 11417 times)

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
  • Retired Residential Tulpamancer.
Re: Does God get a fail in the love category?
« Reply #261 on: November 22, 2013, 02:31:04 PM »
Perhaps its sheer brilliance blew their minds?
Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Offline Greatest I am

• Graduate
  • Darwins +10/-7
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #262 on: November 23, 2013, 09:55:27 PM »
I have contacted researchers and given my story. No takers yet.

why do you suppose that is?

I could not say.

Regards
DL

Offline Antidote

• Graduate
  • Darwins +19/-6
  • >.>
« Reply #263 on: November 23, 2013, 10:12:03 PM »
I could think of a few reasons, insanity being in the top 10.
According to Cpt. Obvious: Theists think they know God, Atheists require evidence.

---

Do not assume I was religious in any way, I have never been religious.

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +413/-5
« Reply #264 on: November 25, 2013, 04:19:26 AM »

why do you suppose that is?

I could not say.

My suspicion would be that when someone contacts them and says "I have a completely unverifiable story about something that happened to me that I am unable to replicate" they realise that it would be a total and utter waste of their time to attempt to "research" it.

Seriously - what research would you expect them to undertake? 
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline Greatest I am

• Graduate
  • Darwins +10/-7
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #265 on: November 25, 2013, 08:37:03 AM »
Exactly. That is unknown. That is why I leave it in their court.

Regards
DL

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
  • Yahweh: Obviously not obvious.
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #266 on: November 25, 2013, 11:10:24 AM »

Regards
DL

Which is exactly why you, yourself, should be skeptical of your own self-diagnosed interpretation of it - since humans are prone to grievous error and you could very well be mistaken about what you think you experienced. Coincidences, false positives, false memories, selective memory, confirmation bias, over-guessing, mistaken self-diagnoses, self-deception, and numerous other known and demonstrated phenomena should cause you to withhold judgment about what you think you experienced.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Carl Sagan

Offline Greatest I am

• Graduate
  • Darwins +10/-7
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #267 on: November 25, 2013, 04:13:24 PM »
It is a benign belief and I will follow the evidence until something comes against it.

That is not likely to happen and I have already eliminated all the conditions that have been stated as far as mental blips are concerned.

You waste your time.

Regards
DL

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +941/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #268 on: November 25, 2013, 05:19:31 PM »
You do realize that you cannot assess your own mind to see if it is malfunctioning. Right?  :?

Do you cut your own hair?  :laugh:
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +438/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #269 on: November 25, 2013, 05:33:39 PM »
It is a benign belief and I will follow the evidence until something comes against it.
Is that so?
I did. My wife as my victim to testify.
That is all the evidence I need.
I don't care of the evidence against.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline Greatest I am

• Graduate
  • Darwins +10/-7
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #270 on: November 25, 2013, 07:54:08 PM »
Done here gentlemen.

I have no tyime for stupidity and rock throwing.

Regards
DL

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +941/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #271 on: November 25, 2013, 08:32:43 PM »
I am no gentlemen. I am not even that gentle.  8)
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +357/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #272 on: November 25, 2013, 08:49:28 PM »
I am no gentlemen. I am not even that gentle.  8)

Give the dude a break, he spells "time" with not only the 'i" but also a 'y'.

;)

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +413/-5
« Reply #273 on: November 26, 2013, 07:40:56 AM »
Seriously - what research would you expect them to undertake?

I repeat the question.  YOU sent your story to researchers, so presumably you must have SOME idea of what you might expect them to do.  What research WOULD you expect them to undertake? 

You said "no takers yet", so presumably had an expectation that someone would want to research your tale.  How did you expect that to go?

<<edit - fixed quotes>>
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 11:05:08 AM by Anfauglir »
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +76/-9
  • Hedonist Extraordinaire
« Reply #274 on: November 26, 2013, 10:39:00 AM »
You waste your time.

As do you. Waste our time, that is.
Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Offline Ataraxia

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +86/-1
  • "I am large, I contain multitudes."
« Reply #275 on: November 26, 2013, 10:40:03 AM »

Regards
DL

What are you leaving in their court? Have you actually demonstrated your Mel Gibson abilities to these researchers? Have they performed tests on you and your wife or have you merely told them about it - akin to doing nothing about it? I fear the latter.
If you keep on living your life as though your purpose is to be saved and go to heaven, you are missing the heaven that you are living in right now.

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
  • Yahweh: Obviously not obvious.
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #276 on: November 26, 2013, 11:12:31 AM »

That is not likely to happen and I have already eliminated all the conditions that have been stated as far as mental blips are concerned.

You waste your time.

Regards
DL

No, you have that quite backwards. You have wasted my time!!!! You bring up some nonsense about "telepathy" yet have ZERO evidence for it, can't demonstrate it to anyone, have no good reason for thinking your interpretation is accurate (w/ plenty of evidence to the contrary), and are clearly practicing confirmation bias (as you've stated that you don't care about contrary evidence or argument), and yet you continue to babble on about it (defending it, describing it, posting rebuttals, etc, etc) as if we should change our minds about it - all b/c you would 'take a lie detector test' and that should prove it!? 

Your "I experienced it so I believe it" claims are identical in nature to that of fundamentalist Christians, Mormons, Hindus, Muslims, Scientologists, Astrologers, and New Age cultists. And just like you, these people also post unsubstantiated pseudo-science articles, videos, and webpages in an attempt to support their asinine religious claims. Why would you come here and post such a thing, wasting so much of so many people's time when you knew damn well that you could not support such claims with evidence or sound reasoning? What you've done here is outright inconsiderate, arrogant, and rude.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Carl Sagan

Offline xyzzy

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +48/-0
  • "Nothing happens"
    • xyzzy
« Reply #277 on: November 26, 2013, 02:32:08 PM »
No, you have that quite backwards. You have wasted my time!!!! You bring up some nonsense about "telepathy" yet have ZERO evidence for it, can't demonstrate it to anyone, have no good reason for thinking your interpretation is accurate (w/ plenty of evidence to the contrary), and are clearly practicing confirmation bias (as you've stated that you don't care about contrary evidence or argument), and yet you continue to babble on about it (defending it, describing it, posting rebuttals, etc, etc) as if we should change our minds about it - all b/c you would 'take a lie detector test' and that should prove it!? 

Your "I experienced it so I believe it" claims are identical in nature to that of fundamentalist Christians, Mormons, Hindus, Muslims, Scientologists, Astrologers, and New Age cultists. And just like you, these people also post unsubstantiated pseudo-science articles, videos, and webpages in an attempt to support their asinine religious claims. Why would you come here and post such a thing, wasting so much of so many people's time when you knew damn well that you could not support such claims with evidence or sound reasoning? What you've done here is outright inconsiderate, arrogant, and rude.

Not just your time, Median. Have you not noticed how he literally repeats himself by cut 'n pasting his previous responses, redundant signature and all?

Perhaps he's off because he fears he's about to get rumbled, and he has plenty of other people whose time he can waste with untestable claims? Linky
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool -- Richard Feynman
You are in a maze of twisty little religions, all alike -- xyzzy

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +101/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #278 on: November 26, 2013, 03:34:54 PM »

You waste your time.

Regards
DL

I call shenanigans.  No you haven't.  but you're not here, so I guess you're not going to care about that.  Meh.
It's one of the reasons I'm an atheist today.  I decided to take my religion seriously, and that's when it started to fall apart for me.
~jdawg70

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +438/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #279 on: November 26, 2013, 03:36:25 PM »
Not just your time, Median. Have you not noticed how he literally repeats himself by cut 'n pasting his previous responses, redundant signature and all?

Perhaps he's off because he fears he's about to get rumbled, and he has plenty of other people whose time he can waste with untestable claims? Linky
I've perused some of those other forums.

Holy crap-in-a-hat with whipped cream.

Several observations:
1) Greatest I Am has shotgunned this OP to an inordinate number of forums.  Seems to desperately want validation.

2) He doesn't have a damn clue what he believes.  He likes to use big, vague words, and makes damn sure that he isn't caught trying to put together a coherent thought lest he run into the danger of seeing glaring errors in his belief structure (whatever the f**k that happens to be).  Any questions asking for any details on what it is he does believe are met with counter-questions to shift the burden of proof or simply dismissed.

3) He seems to see things in strictly black and white.  I suspect if he ever used the word 'nuance', it would showcase the same butchering of meanings that he gives words like 'apotheosis' and 'demographically' - that is, it will be related to the actual meaning of the word insofar as the spelling is the same, but that's about it.  When pressed for clarity, he'll either feel insulted or turn it around and ask you for clarity on the word that he used.

4) I think he's a shill for Youtube and Vimeo.  He can't ever be bothered to sum up points from a video that he finds compelling.

In short, here's what Greatest I Am believes:
It is more important to sound like Deepak Chopra than it is to actually think.  It's OK to believe unprovable bulls**t.  The more ill-defined and vague the unprovable bulls**t is, the more believable it is.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +438/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #280 on: November 26, 2013, 03:38:43 PM »
I call shenanigans.  No you haven't.  but you're not here, so I guess you're not going to care about that.  Meh.
Sure he has.  He has The Ultimate Trumpcard:
That is all the evidence I need.
I don't care of the evidence against.
He eliminated them by willfully ignoring them.

- Eddie Izzard