Author Topic: Have you ever experienced Deja Vu?  (Read 230 times)

Online epidemic

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +49/-13
Have you ever experienced Deja Vu?
« on: September 11, 2013, 01:17:00 PM »
I probably have experienced this 3 to 5 times in my life.

My first one I can remember was when I went out on a date with a woman who took me to jimmy reeds,  a bar in new york.  I had never been there because I had just turned 21 but about half way into the place I had the overwhelming feeling that I had been there before and I felt as if I could tell you how the steps lead down to the bar, the dance floor's position, and the position of the cash register all before I could actually see them.   

It is kinda weird because it felt like perhaps being out of sync with my senses.

since then I have experienced it a couple few more times,  mostly in a conversation at a party or around a dinner table... Where I feel like we have been through some current affairs topic and everyone around the table had done this in the past.    almost every experience was short lived and whispy.  sorta like being on the edge of seeing it but never really able to place what was happening.

I read somewhere that this could be a glitch of the brain where it misplaces sensory and current events into what appears to be history.  Kinda in keeping with the feeling I was out of sync with my brain.  Some have said that it can be related to seizures in essence I may have had a small seizure. 

All in all it is really a cool feeling when I really think back on it.  Have you experienced Deja Vu and what do you attribute it to?

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +97/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
Re: Have you ever experienced Deja Vu?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 01:32:49 PM »
Sure,there are lots of experiences you re-do or re-live in your lifetime. You may do something again later in life and experience deja-vu. The older you get the more you experience it,not because you become more aware,but because you FORGET what you did earlier in life.
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +267/-31
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 01:34:47 PM »
I've experienced it, such that I feel something I'm going through is something I'm remembering...but then usually I also feel deja-vu about that very instance of feeling deja-vu.  In such cases, I know that regardless of my memory-feeling of the events actually going on, I did not have any sort of premonition or prior memory of the current deja-vu experience itself.  It behaves similarly to a mood or emotion.  I categorize it as such.
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 02:21:47 PM »
Deja who do?

;)

-Nam
This is my signature "Nam", don't I have nice typing skills?

Online epidemic

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +49/-13
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 02:51:14 PM »
Sure,there are lots of experiences you re-do or re-live in your lifetime. You may do something again later in life and experience deja-vu. The older you get the more you experience it,not because you become more aware,but because you FORGET what you did earlier in life.

for me this really does not match what I am feeling.  It is more like being you are almost 1/10th of a second out of sync with reality or you are seeing a 3d movie with out the glasses.  Not that it is blurry but like you have two streams of information coming in.  Same people, same hairstyles, same conversation, same seated positions, same music playing, same smells in the air.  Identical situation.  In my first example I was young,  I had experienced little of the bar scene.  Actually it was probably the first bar I had gone to yet the layout was absolutely in keeping with my perceived memory.

The other thing is I personally do not perceive memories as if i am experiencing them. 

You know the only thing I experience that is so life like is a dream.  It could be some sort of a modified dream state interacting with present input. 

the other thing with it being just out of phase with real reality it is not like you feel the ability to predict the conversation or anything like that. 

3 or 4 seconds of deja vu all out of sync by a couple of frames.    It is really a wierd state.  Maybe it is a temporal rift in time:)

My son started talking about Deja Vu and he has them quite frequently where as I probably have 1 every 10 years or so.

Online epidemic

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +49/-13
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 02:53:48 PM »
I've experienced it, such that I feel something I'm going through is something I'm remembering...but then usually I also feel deja-vu about that very instance of feeling deja-vu.  In such cases, I know that regardless of my memory-feeling of the events actually going on, I did not have any sort of premonition or prior memory of the current deja-vu experience itself.  It behaves similarly to a mood or emotion.  I categorize it as such.

Good example  I agree with that description for the most part.  there is no feeling I can say Susan duck that guy is gonna spill his drink on you :)  and for me they are very short in duration.  But very memorable as well.

Online bertatberts

• Reader
  • Darwins +48/-8
  • Humanists. Not perfect. Not forgiven. Responsible.
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 02:14:18 AM »
Yes I have experienced it. However I would say that 75% of the population has experienced deja vu, it is nothing but a brain hiccough; A extremely minor temporal lobe epileptic fit.
When people suffer temporal lobe seizures it is reported that they experience deja vu, it is a common occurrence, there is nothing woo woo about it.
It is a normal experience, yet it can and does, leave one bemused.
We theists have no evidence for our beliefs. So no amount of rational evidence will dissuade us from those beliefs. - JCisall

It would be pretty piss poor brainwashing, if the victims knew they were brainwashed, wouldn't it? - Screwtape. 04/12/12

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-2
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 04:01:48 AM »
Had them occasionally as a kid, these days, been a while.
As brain oddities go, I have had some success with lucid dreaming, though I'm a bit too much aware of what is going on to really enjoy it.
I've also once had old hag for a few seconds ... now THAT was scary. "OK, body, here's the deal ... I'm awake, ok? So let me move damn it!"

Not a brain glitch so much, but there this thing I do when riding shotgun, I'll go "Careful, he's gonna brake" and a second or two later, the car in front of us indeed brakes. It does freak the wife out to an extent :)
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +81/-1
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 07:10:27 AM »
I used to get this a lot more often as a kid than I do now also...Very good descriptions of the sensation here.

Online epidemic

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +49/-13
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 07:40:03 AM »
I don't know why I brought it up,  it is a pretty cool sensation,  I could see where a religious person might view it as almost a mystical event.