Author Topic: A good atheist quits giving a shit  (Read 622 times)

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
A good atheist quits giving a shit
« on: September 10, 2013, 12:45:02 PM »
I read this fellow atheist Oklahoman's blog on occasion, and I enjoy what he's had to say. I've only been "deconverted" for less than a year, and I can already see exactly what he is talking about.   

Christian apologetics is a massive, time-sucking exercise designed to make believers feel good about themselves. It's played out, man. It's a failed enterprise. Nobody's mind, on either side of the isle, is being changed at William Lane Craig's pathetically theatrical evangelical shows disguised as academic debates, or by lame apologetics books or by intellectual masturbation masquerading as sophisticated philosophy. Personally, I've had one drawn-out discussion after another with Christians on topics ranging from epistemology to Aquinas' comically awful 'Argument from Motion', and they're not interested in seriously considering another side.

http://www.theaunicornist.com/2013/09/i-dont-really-see-point-of-arguing.html
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +514/-18
  • Is this going somewhere?
Re: A good atheist quits giving a s**t
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 01:31:16 PM »
It does seem that the religious (of all persuasions) are confirmed (pun intended) in their beliefs. You try and convince a Birther that Obama was born in Hawaii - or a 9/11 conspiracist that it really was Al Qaida acting on their own, or, for others that they were not abducted by aliens and anally probed, or that there is no Sasquatch, Yeti, Loch Ness Monster, Corn Circles, Area 51, Chemical Con-trails, etc., etc.

And there is little hope for the future whilst the Kennedy assassination still has nuts attached to it - that was 50 years ago.

I worked in mental health at one time and I remember trying to persuade a woman that a certain brick in her house was exactly the same as the others and did not beam radio messages to her head. I even had the f**king brick removed! It then turned out that I had had the wrong brick removed, despite her having marked the brick and agreed with the workmen that it was the right brick! ("They" had changed the brick during the night... she heard it happening but did not tell anyone "because they would not understand.")

I sincerely believe that after a while of believing this garbage, the neurons of the brain reconnect in a way that their delusion is reality.

In being here, I can only hope that the seeds of doubt will be sown into minds that are not yet terminally deluded.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 01:32:59 PM by Graybeard »
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +546/-14
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 01:57:23 PM »
And there is little hope for the future whilst the Kennedy assassination still has nuts attached to it - that was 50 years ago.
Forget that - there are still people coming up with conspiracy stuff relating to the Lincoln assassination.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
Re: A good atheist quits giving a shit
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 07:42:09 PM »
No bad-mouthing about Sasquatch 8) I will not stand for it >:(
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline Betelnut

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +13/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 06:32:08 PM »
Neopagan--Have you ever read Karen Armstrong's A History of God?

It is a great book.  One of the points that she makes is that once Christian theologians and philosophers started trying to "reason" about the existence of God, that is, trying to "prove" god, then skepticism and atheism began to gain ground.  Once people starting thinking, religions started dying.  So apologists are really killing their own religions by making people think.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 08:37:37 AM »
Betelnut,
No, I have not read it, but I suddenly got very interested in it when Lee Strobel brought it up in The Case for Christ.[1]  Thanks for the recommendation!
 1. I'm working my way through that drivel and have worn out a couple pencils making notes at the lunacy therein
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Betelnut

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +13/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 06:52:37 PM »
Betelnut,
No, I have not read it, but I suddenly got very interested in it when Lee Strobel brought it up in The Case for Christ.[1]  Thanks for the recommendation!
 1. I'm working my way through that drivel and have worn out a couple pencils making notes at the lunacy therein

It's very well written and interesting.  Rather academic but still written for the lay person.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +732/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 07:41:29 PM »
Rather academic but still written for the lay person.

That's why I read it in bed.   ;D

I suspect that only people bad in english will understand that one.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Star Stuff

• Darwins +146/-2
  • Carbon-based life form.
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 09:36:16 PM »
I sincerely believe that after a while of believing this garbage, the neurons of the brain reconnect in a way that their delusion is reality.

Hmmm, interesting; yes, I suspect this is true.

God is an Imaginary Friend for Grown-ups

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2013, 08:04:59 AM »
“If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed.”
? Adolf Hitler
I'd cut him if he stands, and I'd shoot him if he'd run
 Yes I'd kill him with my Bible and my razor and my gun

Poverty is the parent of revolution and crime.
Aristotle

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +95/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2013, 08:21:27 AM »
What I find so damned frustrating is that I *want* to stop arguing, because it seems that this "Type Of Person" has delusions that are impossible to penetrate, and it ain't worth my time.  But some of the delusions are actively dangerous.

I've got a facebook friend who I went to grade school with, who is a hard-line right-wing fundamentalist.  He believes the liberal conspiracy has created junk science to further the global warming scare.  THIS is the kind of thinking that is going to destroy the planet, or at least our civilization.  And I don't want to leave my kids that, you know?

This guy posted a link saying that "the UN climate report got leaked, and it says that global warming isn't really happening."  I then find an article from CNN that reports on the same leaked UN report, but it says the opposite.  His response: "Oh, you found an article claiming global warming is true??  maybe you should find an article about Al Sharpton on your next scavenger hunt..."  Totally missed the point, that his ultra-conservative web site claims one thing, and a nationally recognized news organization claims the exact opposite.  One of them is lying.  Which is more likely??

I later posted a study that examined published climate studies, showing that a HUGE majority (very high 90%) of peer-reviewed published studies are clear that climate change is occurring, and is exacerbated by human activity.  No response yet, probably not forthcoming.
* Religion: institutionalized superstition, period.

"Many of my ultra-conservative Republican friends...have trouble accepting the idea God is not a Republican. " ~OldChurchGuy

"We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it."  ~ParkingPlaces

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 08:48:51 AM »
 I just listened to a fundie I work with describe how "silly" someone on some prayer chain she is on sounded when they described how god had intervened by giving them a day off work when "the person had not even asked for it" (even though the person has a rotating schedule that changes days off every week. 
 The fundie then turns around and tells me how people should really focus on how god really intervenes - like when he sends someone to disrupt the efforts of a would be school shooter.  I asked if god might rather have just struck the dude dead or given him a flat tire on the way... but she said, "oh, no then god wouldn't get the glory on CNN."  She said it was nuts when I countered that there would be no CNN if god intervened on our behalf like I described - no crimes, no evil...
 It all makes my head hurt and I end up feeling we are all doomed...

Offline riley2112

• Graduate
  • Darwins +38/-8
  • learn to laugh at yourself. I am.
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 11:41:33 AM »
       Taoism    Shit happens.
    Confucianism    Confucius says, shit happens.
        Buddhism    If shit happens, it isn't really shit.
             Zen    What is the sound of shit happening?
        Hinduism    This shit happened before.
           Islam    If shit happens, it is the will of Allah.
   Protestantism    Let shit happen to someone else.
     Catholicism    If shit happens, you deserve it.
         Judaism    Why does this shit always happen to us?
         Atheism    I don't believe this shit.
     Agnosticism    What is this shit?
Most people think they know what they know. The problem starts by not knowing what you don't know. You know?  (Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence)   (Albert Einstein)One fool can ask more questions in a minute than twelve wise men can answer in an hour.
--Nikolai Lenin

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2013, 10:22:40 PM »
The term "apologetics" makes me think that they are doing nothing but "apologizing" for their inability to clearly explain their beliefs.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2013, 10:27:26 PM »
       Taoism    Shit happens.
    Confucianism    Confucius says, shit happens.
        Buddhism    If shit happens, it isn't really shit.
             Zen    What is the sound of shit happening?
        Hinduism    This shit happened before.
           Islam    If shit happens, it is the will of Allah.
   Protestantism    Let shit happen to someone else.
     Catholicism    If shit happens, you deserve it.
         Judaism    Why does this shit always happen to us?
         Atheism    I don't believe this shit.
     Agnosticism    What is this shit?

Ignosticism -- until properly defined: I don't give a shit.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +95/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2013, 09:43:08 PM »
The term "apologetics" makes me think that they are doing nothing but "apologizing" for their inability to clearly explain their beliefs.

the existence of apologetics is evidence against the existence of the god the apologists defend.  What deity worth his salt would need one of we human scum to apologize for its inability to communicate?!?!
* Religion: institutionalized superstition, period.

"Many of my ultra-conservative Republican friends...have trouble accepting the idea God is not a Republican. " ~OldChurchGuy

"We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it."  ~ParkingPlaces

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2013, 10:40:06 AM »

Apologetics: The intellectual process of reconciling the belief in what isn't true, and the fact it isn't true.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.