Author Topic: Horrible Horrible Horrible  (Read 225 times)

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Horrible Horrible Horrible
« on: September 05, 2013, 04:06:33 PM »
So, I spent the day with my great Aunt today, and she was talking about her brother (great guy) who lives out in California and how her phone broke awhile ago and her only copy of his number was in it. So, I pulled out my phone to look up his number online and the first listing was his obituary. He died last May. It mentioned his son, and their family. It also mentions all his pets. It doesn't mention his two sisters (my grandmother and great aunt; who he was on great terms with because we saw him last year), or any other family on his side.

My great aunt found out 3 months after he died, and sadly from me. She was having a great day until then, though she's a strong woman. She's 83, he was 85.

What a way to find out your brother died or any close relative. But she probably wouldn't have known otherwise.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
Re: Horrible Horrible Horrible
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 05:19:24 PM »
At the very least they should have called family members.  We seem to have lost that respectful way of thinking about others.  It is also nice that you check in on her from time to time.

You had better watch out Nam.  People might start to think you really are not an asshole. ;)
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +124/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 05:29:11 PM »
I feel bad for your aunt.  Maybe he had a crappy relationship with his kid(s) that t(he)y couldn't be bothered to make any calls.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 06:38:37 PM »
At the very least they should have called family members.  We seem to have lost that respectful way of thinking about others.  It is also nice that you check in on her from time to time.

You had better watch out Nam.  People might start to think you really are not an asshole. ;)

I don't visit with all my family, just the ones I like.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +125/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 08:11:44 PM »
My great aunt found out 3 months after he died, and sadly from me. She was having a great day until then, though she's a strong woman. She's 83, he was 85.

What a way to find out your brother died or any close relative. But she probably wouldn't have known otherwise.

How inconsiderate and pathetic. If they didn't know how to contact her, or thought she had passed, but at least identified her in the obituary one might find that somewhat acceptable. To not recognize an immediate family member in an obituary is beyond rude. To not attempt to notify her of her brother's death is low.

Sometimes people are just assholes.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline Schizoid

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +10/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 08:53:34 PM »

I don't visit with all my family, just the ones I like.

-Nam

That's an advantage of being schizoid--I avoid both family and most everyone else and am happiest when that is the case.

Your grandmother's sister is your grand aunt because they are both grand.  Myself, I'm a grand uncle, but not a great anything.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 09:01:58 AM »

How inconsiderate and pathetic. If they didn't know how to contact her, or thought she had passed, but at least identified her in the obituary one might find that somewhat acceptable. To not recognize an immediate family member in an obituary is beyond rude. To not attempt to notify her of her brother's death is low.

Sometimes people are just assholes.

The thing is, his ENTIRE family on his side, minus his son and his family, all live in Florida and no one here was contacted. Not one person.

The bad thing, personally for me, is that I was the one who found out, and now will be getting all this attention I don't want.

-Nam

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +125/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 03:37:17 PM »
The thing is, his ENTIRE family on his side, minus his son and his family, all live in Florida and no one here was contacted. Not one person.

The bad thing, personally for me, is that I was the one who found out, and now will be getting all this attention I don't want.

Apparently you will need to periodically Google your family members to see if they are dead. You could setup a Google Alert (more efficient).
John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.