Author Topic: Catholicism [#2759]  (Read 4103 times)

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +128/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
Re: Catholicism [#2759]
« Reply #87 on: September 29, 2013, 09:15:22 AM »
e pluribus unum
John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +307/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #88 on: September 29, 2013, 11:30:02 AM »
Clamo, clamatis, omnes clamamus pro glace lactis

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #89 on: September 30, 2013, 06:56:40 AM »
Caesar adsum jam forte.  Caesar sic in lu.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +85/-2
« Reply #90 on: September 30, 2013, 07:09:50 AM »
There was this episode of Inspector Morse where they see a Latin phrase proudly displayed on a pretty wood carving which Morse translates as "At night, put the cat out"
But I can't find it anywhere :(
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline Foxy Freedom

• Reader
  • Darwins +96/-11
  • Why is it so difficult to say you don't know?
    • Foxy Freedom on Doctor Who
« Reply #91 on: September 30, 2013, 08:26:32 AM »

Since God, like the theory of evolution or the fact that ancient Egypt existed, is not "testable"

I can think of ways to test all of them.

Are you just repeating rubbish which you have read or do you really lack the brain power to think for yourself? Try it. There is more than one way to test each of them.
Neither Foxy Freedom nor any associates can be reached via WWGHA. Their official antitheist website is http://the6antitheist6guide6.blogspot.co.uk

The 2nd edition of the free ebook Devil or Delusion ? The danger of Christianity to Democracy Freedom and Science.       http://t.co/2d1KcJ9V

Offline William

• Fellow
  • Darwins +92/-2
« Reply #92 on: September 30, 2013, 10:26:58 AM »
^^^ cupio ergo deus.   :)
Wow, you know Latin also.  I'm impressed.

You actually knew that was Latin. (I had to google translate it to find out.) I'm also impressed ;D
Git mit uns

Offline William

• Fellow
  • Darwins +92/-2
« Reply #93 on: September 30, 2013, 10:28:35 AM »
There is more than one way to test each of them.

FF, curious, what's your test for "God"?
Git mit uns

Online screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +655/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #94 on: September 30, 2013, 10:33:32 AM »
Since God, like the theory of evolution or the fact that ancient Egypt existed, is not "testable" (because none of these can be reproduced using the scientific method)

This is untrue.  You misunderstand science.  The ToE makes predictions.  Those predictions are testable.  If they turn out to be wrong, the ToE is wrong.  For example, it predicts you will find more primitive fossils deeper in the geologic column and not more advanced ones.  If you were to find a fossil of a human next to one of a trilobite, it would invalidate the ToE.  And we would need another explanation to account for what we observe. 

The same applies to ancient Egypt.  If there were ancient egyptians, then it predicts we would find remains of their civilization.  If we looked for remains where they were expected, then our theory is shot and we need another explanation.

What predictions does the theory of god make that can be tested?   

(because the scientific method is not the only way to gather reliable knowledge and information

Oh really?  What are other methods that are reliable and methodically filter out our biases?  I am not aware of any.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +846/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #95 on: September 30, 2013, 02:42:01 PM »
The other thing about science is that if a theory is sound, its real-life applications work. That is the "test" that matters to most of us in everyday life.

So we know that the physics of aerodynamics is sound because helicopters and planes fly and don't float off to the moon or randomly fall out of the sky. We know that geology is sound on how old the earth is, because we find coal, petroleum and uranium where the rocks are of the right age, not just in any location.

We know that the TOE is sound because, for example, flu vaccines have to be updated as the flu virus evolves resistance. And chimp DNA is more similar to human DNA than it is to wolf DNA, and all of these have DNA more similar to each other than to earthworm or tulip or mushroom DNA. This is exactly as the theory of evolution predicts.

What theories about religion or god are supported by practical real-life applications?  :?
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +846/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #96 on: September 30, 2013, 04:38:05 PM »
The other thing about science is that if a theory is sound, its real-life applications work. That is the "test" that matters to most of us in everyday life.

So we know that the physics of aerodynamics is sound because helicopters and planes fly and don't float off to the moon or randomly fall out of the sky. We know that geology is sound on how old the earth is, because we find coal, petroleum and uranium where the rocks are of the right age, not just in any location.

We know that the TOE is sound because, for example, flu vaccines have to be updated as the flu virus evolves resistance. And chimp DNA is more similar to human DNA than it is to wolf DNA, and all of these have DNA more similar to each other than to earthworm or tulip or mushroom DNA. This is exactly as the theory of evolution predicts.

What theories about religion or god are supported by practical real-life applications?  :?

I want to add that with science, it does not matter whether you understand how it works, or are sincere in your belief, or have the right kind of heart (open or soft or whatever). If the theory is sound, the science works.  No "belief" needed. 

Otherwise it would not make sense to vaccinate babies or animals against disease. It would not make sense to use fertilizer or pesticides on plants. Most of us don't understand how our cars, cell phones, cd players or microwaves function. (Hell, I don't even know exactly how this computer works.) But we are still able to use them.

That is another way that science trumps religion. Science works for everyone and everything, under every circumstance. With god, prayer and so forth, you have to: have faith, be humble, open your heart, suspend judgement, believe, be sincere, etc. or it doesn't work.[1] &)
 1. Of course, even then it still doesn't work , but you get my point.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +307/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #97 on: September 30, 2013, 04:46:20 PM »
Screwtape,

The bible. Hello?

;)

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey