Author Topic: Superstition brings bad luck. Destructive irrationality links.  (Read 235 times)

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
Superstition brings bad luck. Destructive irrationality links.
« on: September 04, 2013, 11:22:52 PM »
I offer this thread as a resource if you would so wish.
The thread will be for posting links that show specific examples where irrational beliefs negatively impact human existence.

Please feel free to post your links here, brief commentary is welcome, but I suggest in-depth discussion re: specific links might deserve an additional separate thread.

I have posted this in science, as irrational beliefs are the antithesis of the scientific method.

I'll start with this gem.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-09-04/dead-dog-in-reservoir-helps-drive-venezuelans-to-bottled-water.html

The carcass of a dead dog floats on the lake that supplies tap water to 750,000 Venezuelans. Witch doctor Francisco Sanchez has just dumped the previous night’s sacrifice from a cliff, contaminating the resource that has become more scarce than gasoline in Caracas.

The water from Lake Mariposa, polluted by sacrifices and garbage from a local cult, is pumped to a 60-year-old treatment plant that lacks the technology to make it safe for drinking, said Fernando Morales, an environmental chemistry professor at Simon Bolivar University in Caracas who has visited the site.

It is clear from the article that there are other economic issues at stake here, but on top of them all is the followers of Santeria and in particular witch doctor Sanchez adding his carcass-riddled irrationality to the stew.
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
Re: Superstition brings bad luck. Destructive irrationality links.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 07:49:21 AM »
So witch doctors are causing climate change or at the very least pollution.  Man, you can't even get a good sacrifice anymore.  What is this world coming to?
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!