Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 305 times)

Offline BillyM67

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Hello!
« on: September 04, 2013, 11:33:12 AM »
Hi, my name is Bill. I have been visiting this website for awhile, but finally decided to interact. I am 46 and have been a non-believer for most of my life.  :) My family, including my wife and stepdaughter, and everyone I know are believers.  :(  My son is 9 and I have decided to wait until he is a little older to tell him how I feel, as he is too young to grasp the entire subject, religion is not being forced on him and he would probably just follow me because I am his dad. Also, as I found out as a young non-believer, when believers find out you don't believe, life can become a lot harder.  :-\  I want him to make up his own mind on things, but I believe I owe it to him to tell him what I believe and why.   8)

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 12:00:45 PM »
Welcome aboard Bill.  I hope you enjoy your time here.

Does your wife know you are a non-believer?  (I won't assume you mean atheist, since you did not use that term) 
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +798/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 12:36:39 PM »
Welcome Bill

I decided that I was an atheist when I was 11, and others here say it happened earlier, so your son may be ready for such things sooner than you imagine. But I wouldn't advise bringing the subject up without there being a good reason to do so. (Like, not during a commercial in the middle of the super bowl   ;D). Should a relevant subject arise at some point in the future, you could take advantage of it and start the discussion, if you so desire.

The nice thing about our site is that if you feel like you are sort of lonely in the atheist world, you can come here and enjoy new friends while bashing theists at what ever level you want to bash at. So stick around and know that you aren't alone in the world.
Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline BillyM67

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 12:55:12 PM »
@ neopagan...Thanks. Yes, my wife knows. We basically agree not to talk about it. She is not a strict believer (no church), but she does believe and prays to herself each night. I don't try to stop her or say anything bad about her beliefs (though I never understood this whole half ass approach to religion that so many do)....everyone needs to find their own way. I guess I'm an atheist, I never tried to put a label on it.....we're born, we live, we die and there is a lot we don't understand, but fairytales are not the answer.   :)

@ ParkingPlaces...Thanks, glad to be here. I've never felt "lonely", just wondered why so many are so insecure that they need to lie to themselves. I'm pretty strong willed and not one to "follow the pack". I'm always open to new ideas and will talk about pretty much anything, but I can't stand 'bible thumpers". :) I love my son and want him to understand what I believe to be the truth, and I believe he is already smart enough to understand it, but I also know that there are certain stages in life and I want him to enjoy being a kid as long as possible without the realities of life ruining it. We decided to do the whole Santa thing, which he still believes in, and that is going to be a big enough shock to him.  ;)

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 12:59:55 PM »
^^^ Looks like it's a friendly detente at home - that works, I guess.  Not that way at my house - I hide out in the closet, afraid of the fundies and their pitchforks :)
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Online LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +132/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 03:29:01 PM »
Hello and welcome.  I used to be the crazy theist but I gave up.  I realized there was no presence of god in my life.  So now I am just plain crazy.  But otherwise nothing has changed.  You will find every type of personality here.  You will find acceptance and you won't.  You will find support and you will find ridicule.  It just depends on where you look.  You will definitely find stimulation and relief from boredom.  You can even find music, comedy and art if you look around enough.  This is a great forum.

I am too lazy to compose a whole new welcome.  My 14 year old son is still a believer and he goes to a private Christian school.  I don't oppose this because I am overwhelmed enough helping him with his regular homework without him also having to learn "gang signs" to survive at the crap public school around here. I don't discuss religion too much with him due to the other upheaval our lives have already had recently.  He will figure things out.  He's a smart kid.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.