Author Topic: God's Promises to Father Abraham and his Children Israel -- and Us  (Read 799 times)

Offline emilysmith

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
    • ChillMill World
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
God's Promises to Father Abraham and his Children Israel -- and Us
« on: September 04, 2013, 12:15:46 AM »
Emily, you have been told before about posting large cut-and-pastes, especially when you do not attribute them.  I have removed the posted text and inserted a link to the blog that you lifted it from.

http://theoverflowinglife.blogspot.co.uk/2010/06/gods-promises-to-father-abraham-and-his.html

If you have further comment of your own to make on this subject that is fine.  Please do not bulk paste again.

If you have any issues with this please PM me or another Mod.

Anfauglir.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 03:46:30 AM by Anfauglir »
Learn About Education | Watch Live TV

Online Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +100/-0
  • Living the Dream
Re: God's Promises to Father Abraham and his Children Israel -- and Us
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 01:21:34 PM »
Emily,
I skimmed a little of this article, but stopped because of two questions I'd like you to answer.

1) what made Abraham so special that god spoke to HIM?  Please cite your source.

2) The article states that travel was difficult and dangerous, and that Abraham went off not knowing where to go at, literally, the behest of a voice in his head.  Shows a pretty strong faith in said voice, no?  Why then, did this merciful god see fit to test Abraham's faith AGAIN by waiting so long before Sarah got pregnant?  Seems petty and mean-spirited to test something you already know is there based on past experience.  Besides, didn't god already know the outcome?  Please cite your source.
It's one of the reasons I'm an atheist today.  I decided to take my religion seriously, and that's when it started to fall apart for me.
~jdawg70

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +333/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 04:52:00 PM »
Shouldn't this be moved out of the mailbag?

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 12:41:02 AM »
From article:

In Genesis 12:1 we read that God told Abraham to leave his home and his relatives and everything he had known and travel to an unknown land far away. He was to trust God to lead him there.

God told Abraham to abandon his family... and apparently, we're suppose to think of this as a good thing.  Nice family-friendly message here!  :angel:
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 08:37:12 AM »
It is all but impossible for the skeptical or critical mind to consider "scripture" anything more than pure fiction.  I doubt that I will ever understand how a modern human mind, with the most recent understanding from the sciences including history, archaeology, biology, astronomy, and geology, could ever accept the writings of ancient people who had no such understanding.  Bizarre.

Offline hickdive

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +32/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 08:46:28 AM »
I'm sorry, I won't look at your link as I loathe the smurfs.
Stupidity, unlike intelligence, has no limits.

Offline viocjit

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 12:14:55 PM »
The Genesis tell to us that a first man was made with clay (GN 2:7) and that the first woman was made with a rib of his husband (GN 2:21-2:23). We know that evolution theory is true therefore these events did never happened.
Also the episode about the "Babel Tower" (GN 11:1-11:9) isn't historical because we don't know any technology to build a tower of this size at this period. The first language of humanity is a myth.
Conclusion : Abraham is a legendary character.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +333/-85
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 01:05:16 PM »
I'm sorry, I won't look at your link as I loathe the smurfs.

Smurfs rule! I recently bought a jumbo Smurf doll. I also still have Smurf sheets and curtains from when I was a kid. I also have toys, and the show and movies on DVD.

Smurfs rule!

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Offline hickdive

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +32/-0
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 08:54:41 AM »
The only things worse than the smurfs are Alvin and the Chipmunks. Try sitting through an entire movie with a hangover.
Stupidity, unlike intelligence, has no limits.

Offline jaimehlers

• Professor
  • Darwins +584/-18
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 09:31:14 AM »
It is all but impossible for the skeptical or critical mind to consider "scripture" anything more than pure fiction.  I doubt that I will ever understand how a modern human mind, with the most recent understanding from the sciences including history, archaeology, biology, astronomy, and geology, could ever accept the writings of ancient people who had no such understanding.  Bizarre.
Actually, it's perfectly understandable.  There's no particular difference between the human brain from two or three thousand years ago, and the human brain today.  Take a newborn from the present, and exchange them with a newborn from the distant past, and they would have no trouble getting along in their adopted time periods (except for the natural dangers therein).

Incidentally, jetson, the reason people buy into religious texts is twofold.  First, most people don't have a very good understanding of the sciences.  A lot of them don't even have a bad understanding of them.  Science and history have largely been presented as the domain of geeks and nerds, meaning the average person doesn't really care - it's the same faulty reasoning you get when someone complains about how they'll never use any of this stuff they're learning in schools.

Second, teach a person things from a religious text from the time when they start understanding language, and that's the foundation of everything else they learn.  It isn't even indoctrination - it's simply the way the human mind works, basing learning on acquired knowledge and experience.  I don't care how intelligent someone might be - they are not going to be able to use it effectively when they're two years old, or five.  Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if most still had difficulties when they were twenty.

Those two facts together explain why religion persists so well in the modern day.  Besides, religion has inertia on its side too, and it takes a while for that to wear out.

Online Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +543/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 12:57:34 PM »
The writer quotes “He (Abraham) believed in the Lord: and He (God) counted it to him for righteousness.” Genesis 15:6.  - this is another of those little snippets from the Bible where you ask, "How would anyone know what God thought?"
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +333/-85
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2013, 04:22:47 PM »
The only things worse than the smurfs are Alvin and the Chipmunks. Try sitting through an entire movie with a hangover.

Yeah, anyone will hate anything with a hangover.

-Nam

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2013, 08:19:57 PM »

Those two facts together explain why religion persists so well in the modern day.  Besides, religion has inertia on its side too, and it takes a while for that to wear out.

But this doesn't really explain the distinction between time periods where we have replaced bad knowledge and understanding with far better knowledge and understanding.  the "facts" of yesterday are so much different from the "facts" of today.  Lightning is well understood in terms of where it comes from, the world is spherical, and rotates around the sun, bacteria really exist, and they cannot be seen with the naked eye, etc.

At a time when knowledge in general has greatly improved, it is still difficult to understand how more modern humans, exposed to this knowledge, still cling to such outdated nonsense.

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 06:29:18 AM »
Bookmarking on the slight offchance that Emily may actually return to discuss the issues she raised.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +333/-85
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2013, 07:47:24 AM »
Bookmarking on the slight offchance that Emily may actually return to discuss the issues she raised.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

-Nam