Author Topic: Introducing Duane  (Read 459 times)

Offline duane

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Introducing Duane
« on: September 03, 2013, 12:07:28 AM »
Hello, I'm Duane and am an anti-theist.

I do however often more than not find myself simply calling myself atheist, but I feel that in many ways there is too much of an attachment on Christianity in the popular culture, and I really enjoyed Hitchens methods as they cater more to my style of dealing with blatant stupidity: By call it out.

I am also the long time owner of the "debunkingreligion dot com" website, filled with images I had hoped would be succinct enough that they would drive the point of the absurdity of religion home.

I'm thinking of simply linking to this site instead of having my own forum on that domain.  Is that ok?

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
Re: Introducing Duane
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 07:25:12 AM »
Hey Duane, welcome.  What took you so long to find us?  I agree, it is hard to stand and listen to the foolishness sometimes.  Glad you are here.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 09:33:29 AM »
Welcome Duane. I hope you have a grand time here. 

Were you ever in the theistic camp?  I was for many years, and while I really love Hitchens now, he would have turned me off right away with his in the face approach when I was thoroughly theistic-dipped a few years back.  He is certainly not the first place I point someone to who is questioning the faith.

Welcome!
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 10:48:15 AM »
Hello and welcome!  :)
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +50/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 12:30:10 PM »
Welcome, Duane.

I love Hitchens! How can you not?!?

He is certainly not the first place I point someone to who is questioning the faith.

I agree with this. I think Dan Barker is a good starting point for those who are questioning their faith.
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline duane

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 10:07:30 PM »
I had an interesting life growing up; I was in many group homes and foster homes and as a result I got to see many different peoples ideas of religion.  I was at one time in a home that was pretty much any of all of the different denominations of Christianity (All irrational), Judaism (As a Gentile I could push buttons for them after sundown on the weekend so I was handy to have around, very legalistic), or even Islam (Its amazing how OK with evil the text of the Quran can be) and other religions such as Shinto (Minority Japanese religion, in my experience) or Buddhist (Most people who practice it dont have a clue who he was), even one Pagan (Alexandrian mostly, but they had an Eclectic bent) and another that Claimed Wicca, but it is was interesting in that they actually seemed more Gardnerian in their Wicca than some of the people I have known who claimed it outright, yet I suspect they where actually ignorant of it)

As a result I have far too many books on religion (Even a few I'm told I "shouldn't have", such as the satanic bible, some internal Masonic texts, etc), and I know more than I want to about the different denominations of foolishness. I also keep a bible in my car trunk in case I need toilet paper (pages are softer than a phone book).

I know of the question this site asks, but didn't know of the forum; I found it from something Dawkins posted on FB.

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +769/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 11:03:20 PM »
I know of the question this site asks, but didn't know of the forum; I found it from something Dawkins posted on FB.

Dawkins should drop by sometime and say hi. It would cheer us poor lonely frontline atheist troops up no end.

Of course we probably don't agree with him either.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline duane

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 10:25:38 PM »
Well I once had a GF that was suddenly very big on atheism, the books, etc and the Dawkins page on my FB is a holdover from that despite the fact that I moved on and got married after we split, as I enjoy some of the things he says. the problem was is she was really annoying about coming to reason and used the fact "she was now an atheist" to be a generally terrible person, but then again considering she grew up conservative baptist  I thought it was par or the course and just another idea she was too stupid to understand.  My fault, of course as I was the unsaved one, or so her half Mennonite/half southern baptist father and her southern baptist mother kept telling me.  I normally just gave them the finger or trolled them by repeating the bible better than they could about things they hated to be reminded of :/

I just recently started getting back into the atheism thing, but I dont consider myself the type that would invest a lot of money or time/effort/money in being atheist so I tend to be an apathetic atheist in that I dont care what others religion is, because its wrong no matter what denomination it is, so I generally only let the rage out when people ignore my house signs and show up at my door and try to convert me, or express blatant stupidity while employed in a position that should screen for it.

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +769/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 11:08:49 PM »
I don't think we have too many fanatic atheists around here. If we did, I'd go elsewhere. I prefer the laid-back, sharp-tongued variety. And we have plenty of those. I can only speak for myself, but it is fun to hang around with others who are as brilliant as I am, though not all of them are as humble as yours truly. But hey, not many people can be as good at it as me. That's to be expected.

But generally we are a fairly easy going group, except when a fundy goes all anti-science on us. We find that irksome.

So your casual approach should fit right in. And I want you to stick around because at least your name is easy to remember and spell. I get everyone else mixed up because their names are so weird. I have been the only exception. Now there are two of us.

However, I must warn you. This is about as serious as I get...  &)

Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 09:43:26 PM »
I prefer the laid-back, sharp-tongued variety.

:)

But generally we are a fairly easy going group, except when a fundy goes all anti-science on us. We find that irksome.

Oh, do tell. 

Personally, I find the testimony of Christians to be foreplay. It's their way of saying I want it long, hard and bad, but then we end up in a messy confrontation with lawyers splitting hairs over a pointless passage in the bible. Kills the rest of the evening.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +79/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 12:23:50 AM »
Welcome to the forum, duane. Thanks for the background; even the capsule descriptions of your varied religious experiences are interesting. Look forward to seeing you around.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius