Author Topic: Hello!!!  (Read 879 times)

Offline This Is Me

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • Merry-go-rounds make me too dizzy
Hello!!!
« on: September 01, 2013, 12:44:42 PM »
I am delighted to find a discussion board that encourages civilized discussion. I would like to give you a little bit of my background. I was a Christian until 4 years ago. I would go to church for months at a time, years in between. I continued to attempt what it was that I thought what we were supposed to do. Once the 'newness' wore off, all my conflicting thoughts would have to be pushed to the back of my mind to maintain my belief. After all, the bible did teach of these very things being from evil and we are to turn from it. Ultimately, I would 'backslide' because I always ended up feeling fake.

Once I found the courage to actually question all those conflicting thoughts, I couldnt quit questioning. I was amazed by what I thought I knew to be truth, was wrong...and could be proven wrong. My disbelief in God didnt come over night. It came over a period of a year along with extensive research, source checking and checking their sources, heartache, and sometimes anger.After all, if you cant question what you believe, are you truly a believer?

You dont choose to become an atheist, you discover that you already are. Once that 'cap' was gone, the most amazing thing happened. I found myself. It is a never ending cascade of finding out who you truly are. I have never been more proud and happy to say, this is me. I look forward to expressing and broadening my views with you all!!!
This planet and universe puts me in awe everyday. Its not that I want to live forever, just long enough to learn everything =)  ~This is me

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Re: Hello!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 12:46:37 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

As it turns out, I (God[1]) am real, but I don't require your belief or worship. There's no heaven or hell either, so you have nothing to worry about. Have fun. ;)
 1. Although I prefer "One Above All".
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 01:17:15 PM »
Welcome, This is Me.  Sounds like you will fit in here just fine.  Watch out for Nam.  He is an asshole but he is a good one.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Online Willie

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +74/-1
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 03:13:48 PM »
You dont choose to become an atheist, you discover that you already are. Once that 'cap' was gone, the most amazing thing happened. I found myself. It is a never ending cascade of finding out who you truly are. I have never been more proud and happy to say, this is me. I look forward to expressing and broadening my views with you all!!!

Well said. I can very much identify with that from my own experience.

Welcome to the forum.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 07:51:28 AM »

Well said. I can very much identify with that from my own experience.

Welcome to the forum.

Agreed, and welcome!

Offline This Is Me

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 09:13:52 AM »
Thank you for the welcoming!!
This planet and universe puts me in awe everyday. Its not that I want to live forever, just long enough to learn everything =)  ~This is me

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +771/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 09:24:56 AM »
Yes, welcome This Is Me. And we actually have quite a few women here too, so you also get to join a sisterhood (I guess there is one, but I'm under-qualified to join, as a male, so I dunno.) But you should have some fun. We're a little low on crazy theists right now but there are so many of them that one or two will show up soon. The law of below-averages is on our side.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-1
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 10:48:30 AM »
Welcome, This Is Me. Great post!

I'm one who grew up Catholic, but don't remember ever buying into it, and was amazed when it dawned on me that adults actually believed all the Jesus stuff where they didn't believe in Fairy Tales and Mythology.

I think you will fit in here very well. Hope to read more from you around & about.

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +96/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 11:55:50 AM »
Welcome to our happy home.  (May I call you....TiM???)

I was also raised a theist (RC).  contemplated priesthood in my late teen years.  once I attended college and started learning history, I became disillusioned with the faith and gradually "migrated" to deism, then agnosticism.  I consider myself "anti-theist" in that I really dislike the concept of religion, from a social and moral standpoint.  I believe it is man's worst invention.

anyhoo, welcome.  check out some of the old threads so you can get an idea of the typical arguments theists bring here, and how they're taken apart with acumen and verve.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 11:59:28 AM by Boots »
* Religion: institutionalized superstition, period.

"Many of my ultra-conservative Republican friends...have trouble accepting the idea God is not a Republican. " ~OldChurchGuy

"We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it."  ~ParkingPlaces

Offline This Is Me

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 12:16:59 PM »
Yes, you may call me TiM,lol. I have been welcomed by great people. I am having trouble pulling myself away from this site today. I have been doing much exploration in this site, and have to say, I think the ER was the most clever. Im looking forward to the good things that come up!!!

Offline This Is Me

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 12:32:23 PM »
Im still trying to figure this "quote" thing out, lol. Guess I need to spend more time in maintenance lol. I can relate with you here, this is where, also, my problem with religion is

" I consider myself "anti-theist" in that I really dislike the concept of religion, from a social and moral standpoint.  I believe it is man's worst invention"

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 09:26:49 PM »
welcome TiM.. hope you enjoy your stay.
I am a recovering longterm theist as well, of the Southern Baptist strain...  I have only been cured about eight months though lol
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +50/-0
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 10:03:15 PM »
Welcome, This is Me. I know you'll enjoy yourself here.

This is beautiful.  :)
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline This Is Me

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2013, 10:06:54 PM »
welcome TiM.. hope you enjoy your stay.
I am a recovering longterm theist as well, of the Southern Baptist strain...  I have only been cured about eight months though lol

Haha...at least you have been cured =) I cant speak of enough good that came out of it. I am happy to see some people here can relate with a long term 'God complex'. My upbringing was Pentecostal, then married into a Pentecostal family.

Offline This Is Me

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 10:12:01 PM »
Thank you Emily!! I am enjoying myself already! Great to meet more of the 'sisterhood'!

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +50/-0
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2013, 06:25:52 AM »
Ugh, Pentecostal! I was raised in the UPCI. It sucked. My dad and grandfather are both pastors and since I left the church we hardly speak because I am damned to hell, or something.

I heard it said once that Pentecostalism and Catholicism are the two main contributors to atheism. In a way it is kind of true.

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline This Is Me

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2013, 06:39:48 AM »
That sucks. My Grandpa was a Pastor as well. My mom was shockingly supportive of me. I know the biggest fear they have for you is being damned to hell, thats why it took me 2 years to even tell her. How long has it been since you left religion?

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +50/-0
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2013, 12:26:40 PM »
I'm glad to hear your mother was supportive of your decision to leave. My parents weren't. IMO the Pentecostal church makes it hard for people to make the decision to leave, at least the churches I went too.

It's been 12 years for me now. Once I turned 18 I packed up everything I could into my backpack and moved out with only 150 dollars to my name, leaving the church behind me.

Oh, and did you mention you are having trouble quoting. Here's a good tutorial on how to quote properly: http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,16778.0.html And if you haven't found this board yet there's also the Test Area where you can experiment with quoting and other functions for posting.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2013, 12:48:27 PM »
I grew up with an uncle who was a pastor in the church of christ. Talk about confusing - he believed every other protestant was on the highway to hell exceot them - including you penecostals!  :)
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline This Is Me

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2013, 02:33:15 PM »
Wow Emily that is so sad to hear. The bigger the problem is, the more courage it take to overcome it. I applaud you! I am not fully out of the closet with everyone, only the ones who matter the most. Thier backs being turned is the fear I still hold on to. Im confident, as everything else has, will change in time.

I grew up with an uncle who was a pastor in the church of christ. Talk about confusing - he believed every other protestant was on the highway to hell exceot them - including you penecostals!  :)

Yeah, that was some of my issue too...all the different beliefs within Christianity.

Online Willie

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +74/-1
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2013, 09:04:04 PM »
I'm also an ex-Pentecostal. My dad was a preacher. He even had a very brief tent revival ministry, inspired by his prior involvement in A.A. Allen's ministry. The tent was destroyed by a storm after only the second revival. After that he founded a small church at that same location, which was near Window Rock, AZ, on the Navajo reservation.

Offline wenni

• Novice
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2013, 02:40:15 AM »
hello,all, i am tim, nice to meet you. I am very happy to join .
Mod edit: removed link to unrelated site.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 07:31:10 AM by jetson »