Author Topic: Just plain hilarious  (Read 408 times)

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +95/-0
  • Living the Dream
Just plain hilarious
« on: September 01, 2013, 11:59:37 AM »
I know it's nothing new (and most posters must have seen something like this at least once in their lifetime), but I saw something today that just made me smile and shake my head.

an ambulance with lights on outside a church (Sunday AM).

I don't find this funny because a theist was injured/sick, for sure.  I find it funny because theists (in general) trust their gawd, but not enough to save their life.  Even more--they don't trust him to save their life WHEN THEY'RE VISITING HIS HOUSE!!  I mean, what host would totally ignore guests who come to his house to worship him, you know???  Must be a real dill-hole.

Maybe it's because when theists DO trust their gawd to save a life, it typically ends in disaster.  *shrug*
* Religion: institutionalized superstition, period.

"Many of my ultra-conservative Republican friends...have trouble accepting the idea God is not a Republican. " ~OldChurchGuy

"We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it."  ~ParkingPlaces

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
Re: Just plain hilarious
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 12:09:04 PM »
Like the line no Atheists in foxholes.....I have yet to meet one Christian who has more faith in God than they do in the scientific practice of medicine.

It's what God wants if they die after exhausting all faith in medicine.
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 01:22:31 PM »
Back in the day when my delusion was still there I was at Mass at a Cathedral.  Prob several 100s of people.  Some lady was having some kind of medical issue, like heart or whatever it was.  The priest stopped mass and went down and prayed over her (911 had been called).  Then he went back to doing the mass while some other church people sat with her.  EMTs came in and loaded her up on the cart and wheeled her out.  The priest never missed a beat doing mass while this was going on.  And said nothing about it the rest of he way thru mass.  I guess he was on a time frame or something.  Seemed odd to me at the time.  I thought, so if I die in here, they will acknowledge it and then just keep on keeping on.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 02:07:35 PM »
Biblegod  works in mysterious ways.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline bertatberts

• Reader
  • Darwins +48/-8
  • Humanists. Not perfect. Not forgiven. Responsible.
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 08:16:02 AM »
Like the line no Atheists in foxholes.....I have yet to meet one Christian who has more faith in God than they do in the scientific practice of medicine.

The religious seem to like that line, why don't we start using "There are no Theists in hospitals" as a rebut.
We theists have no evidence for our beliefs. So no amount of rational evidence will dissuade us from those beliefs. - JCisall

It would be pretty piss poor brainwashing, if the victims knew they were brainwashed, wouldn't it? - Screwtape. 04/12/12

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 04:41:43 AM »
Back in the day when my delusion was still there I was at Mass at a Cathedral.  Prob several 100s of people.  Some lady was having some kind of medical issue, like heart or whatever it was.  The priest stopped mass and went down and prayed over her (911 had been called).  Then he went back to doing the mass ....

Yep, that's where it all goes weird.  Surely stopping the mass and saying "let's all pray and keep praying for Mrs.X" would be the right thing to do?

If they were all interns following a doctor, and one of them collapsed, the doctor wouldn't ring for help then continue with his rounds.  He'd stop the theoretical and jump right to the practical.

But I guess that shows that - when it comes to the crunch - medicine is real, prayer is not.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 07:26:08 AM »

The religious seem to like that line, why don't we start using "There are no Theists in hospitals" as a rebut.

Not terribly effective, given how many Catholic Hospitals their are and how preachers and preist are always roaming the hallways, because they had always count on people acting emotionally when they are at their most vulnerable.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 06:18:33 PM »
Bertaberts has a point,they should not rely on hospitals or modern medicine PERIOD. They should be at home praying the cancer into submission. The religious would rather hear a medical opinion on their ills,rather than a priest's. The only reason Priests and Nuns are there is it's easy prey.
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 06:22:29 PM »
 I know if I walked into the hospital,priest on the left,doctor on the right,I am turning right....as are most theists,if not all of them. My point is they would want a scientific view long before a spiritual one

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +95/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 08:43:36 PM »
I know if I walked into the hospital,priest on the left,doctor on the right,I am turning right....as are most theists,if not all of them. My point is they would want a scientific view long before a spiritual one

At least until they get better.  Then they can say "Lordie, it's a miracle!!  The Good Lawrd must have some plans for me, or something!!"
* Religion: institutionalized superstition, period.

"Many of my ultra-conservative Republican friends...have trouble accepting the idea God is not a Republican. " ~OldChurchGuy

"We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it."  ~ParkingPlaces

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 07:07:16 AM »

At least until they get better.  Then they can say "Lordie, it's a miracle!!  The Good Lawrd must have some plans for me, or something!!"
bing!
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.