Author Topic: Garden of eden discovered...  (Read 224 times)

Online Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +90/-2
  • WWGHA Member
Garden of eden discovered...
« on: August 29, 2013, 06:24:42 AM »
...but perhaps not where is was originally thought to be
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-23872765

no wonder adam and eve wanted out!

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +527/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
Re: Garden of eden discovered...
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 07:18:25 AM »
Although it would be interesting to think that our bacterial ancestors lived on Mars and were carried here, because of the difficulties of transportation and any ejecta actually managing to hit Earth and survive a trip through an ev en denser atmosphere than today, I'm going with "No. Life started on Earth."

Theologically, if it were shown that life did start on Mars, this would present a difficulty for Genesis (not that Genesis does not have many insuperable difficulties) until some apologist announce that God had revealed to him that, "Ge:1:11: And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so." actually meant that God, Who had previously made Mars, had directed a lump of that planet to land, rather like the gardener who throws down seeds... Perhaps some far-sighted Christian could start that explanation now and be ahead of the game.
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +183/-8
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 07:35:20 AM »
What is wrong with you people?  The Garden of Eden is just outside Gallatin, Missouri.  Mormons have verified this.  I've been there many times.  God must have a sense of humor.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Online Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +90/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 07:35:57 AM »
Although it would be interesting to think that our bacterial ancestors lived on Mars and were carried here, because of the difficulties of transportation and any ejecta actually managing to hit Earth and survive a trip through an ev en denser atmosphere than today, I'm going with "No. Life started on Earth."

Theologically, if it were shown that life did start on Mars, this would present a difficulty for Genesis (not that Genesis does not have many insuperable difficulties) until some apologist announce that God had revealed to him that, "Ge:1:11: And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so." actually meant that God, Who had previously made Mars, had directed a lump of that planet to land, rather like the gardener who throws down seeds... Perhaps some far-sighted Christian could start that explanation now and be ahead of the game.

I wouldn't rule out the possibility of life coming from elsewhere as there are extremophiles about today that can survive in space and at very high temperatures. I will admit that it seems unlikely though.

Unfortunately I totally agree with your 2nd comment.
how does the phrase go?
"If you make your system more apologist-proof the apologists will build a bigger apologist"

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +313/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 04:08:14 PM »
...but perhaps not where is was originally thought to be
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-23872765

no wonder adam and eve wanted out!

Mission to Mars or Ghosts of Mars?

;)

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey