Author Topic: Medieval torture devices  (Read 858 times)

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +94/-0
  • Living the Dream
Medieval torture devices
« on: August 28, 2013, 02:41:53 PM »
My wife's school started this week.  One of the students was wearing a big, honkin' crucifix on his neck--we're talking 6" tall wood pendant, unmistakable from throwing distance.  it got me thinking...why should xians corner the market on wearing symbols of Medieval torture devices?

so, which device(s) should we make into jewelry?  Iron maiden might be a good choice.  not sure how identifiable a rack would be.  how about thumbscrews?  Or one of those chairs that are heated and the victim is forced to stay in it with prods (what are those chairs called)?

thoughts???
* Religion: institutionalized superstition, period.

"Many of my ultra-conservative Republican friends...have trouble accepting the idea God is not a Republican. " ~OldChurchGuy

"We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it."  ~ParkingPlaces

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
Re: Medieval torture devices
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 02:49:24 PM »
The one that got me was the cage that was hooked around your head and a rat let loose in there.  The rat would go for the eyeballs first because they are moist.  How about that for humanity?
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +94/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 03:21:13 PM »
oh, forgot about that one Nick!  Reminded me of another one: rat in a 5-sided cage, the 6th side being a human stomach.  Rat chews his way out through the person.  Genius!!

Not sure whether any of those would translate into jewelry--however, yours could be a nice hat, eh?   8)
* Religion: institutionalized superstition, period.

"Many of my ultra-conservative Republican friends...have trouble accepting the idea God is not a Republican. " ~OldChurchGuy

"We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it."  ~ParkingPlaces

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 03:48:57 PM »
The pear of anguish.  I shall not describe it.

I'd heard about it before and googled it... ironically, it showed up on a "How Stuff Works Site"  :o

http://history.howstuffworks.com/history-vs-myth/10-medieval-torture-devices.htm#page=10
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Online jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +511/-12
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 04:46:18 PM »
People seem to express the most inventiveness when it comes to inventing ways to kill and torture each other.

Offline Mooby

• Reader
  • Darwins +66/-23
  • So it goes.
    • Is God Imaginary?
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 04:51:58 PM »
The one that got me was the cage that was hooked around your head and a rat let loose in there.  The rat would go for the eyeballs first because they are moist.  How about that for humanity?
That was from the novel 1984.  I can't even find a source mentioning it outside that novel, let alone evidence it was ever used.

The pear of anguish.  I shall not describe it.

I'd heard about it before and googled it... ironically, it showed up on a "How Stuff Works Site"  :o

http://history.howstuffworks.com/history-vs-myth/10-medieval-torture-devices.htm#page=10
There's no evidence of the pear existing in the Middle Ages or having ever been used for torture.

Also, the Iron Maiden was completely made up for museums.

A lot of what we have been told about Medieval times has been manufactured as entertainment.
"I'm doing science and I'm still alive."--J.C.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 04:58:47 PM »
^^^ Are you saying the site howstuffworks.com is not credible?  Eeghads, no - the gods may rain down fire on us (or crash the site at least)  :laugh:
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Mooby

• Reader
  • Darwins +66/-23
  • So it goes.
    • Is God Imaginary?
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 05:30:48 PM »
I'm saying that there's no evidence for the pear's existence.  And howstuffworks.com cites medievality.com, which in turn cites no sources.
"I'm doing science and I'm still alive."--J.C.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 08:33:42 PM »
Stuff made up about the middle ages?  No...next you are going to tell us the bible and people around 30 AD were made up also.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +267/-31
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 08:40:33 PM »
... A lot of what we have been told about Medieval times has been manufactured as entertainment.

The life of Jesus, however, can be trusted entirely to our preserved Biblical writings...
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline Willie

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +71/-1
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 09:47:57 PM »
In honor of his noodly goodness, he who boiled for our sins, the obvious torture device to wear as a pendant is the fork. (Pots and strainers are better suited to being worn as hats.)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 09:50:48 PM by Willie »

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 10:25:40 PM »
A list of some forms and devices of torture.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_methods_of_torture#Medieval_and_early_modern_instruments_of_torture

If I had to choose a form of torture to make into a jewelry piece I would pick a little wooden or metal boat on a necklace to symbolize scaphismWiki.
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline Anfauglir

• Darwins +407/-5
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 02:57:17 AM »
My wife's school started this week.  One of the students was wearing a big, honkin' crucifix on his neck--we're talking 6" tall wood pendant, unmistakable from throwing distance.  it got me thinking...why should xians corner the market on wearing symbols of Medieval torture devices?

Like Bill Hicks once said - lets all wear tiny rifles in memory of Kennedy.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2013, 08:33:21 PM »
Like Lenny Bruce once said...

“If Jesus had been killed twenty years ago, Catholic school children would be wearing little electric chairs around their necks instead of crosses.“
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2013, 09:21:33 PM »
Or little gas chambers.

-Nam
This is my signature "Nam", don't I have nice typing skills?