Author Topic: What's with the Virgin Mary and trees?  (Read 348 times)

Offline emilysmith

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
    • ChillMill World
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
What's with the Virgin Mary and trees?
« on: August 28, 2013, 01:33:37 AM »
Dartagnan: According to me, this piece of wood is a message of Mary to the human beings. Mary wants to tell us not to cut trees anymore. Trees are a source of oxygen so a source of life for us. Trees also help us to avoid the global warming so hurricanes. The more we have water due to global warming, the stronger become hurricanes

Mary wants to tell us to plant more trees on our planet. Trees are a source of life&protection.
Learn About Education | Watch Live TV

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
Re: What's with the Virgin Mary and trees?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 01:50:51 AM »
Can't think for yourself must have a dead person[1] to tell you what to do, or not? Seems dronish.

-Nam
 1. or someone who most likely never existed
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 06:37:27 AM »
Maybe she can do something about all the trees burning up out west.   Can Mary make fire go away?  If not, another useless demi god.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline wheels5894

• Reader
  • Darwins +106/-1
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 08:28:00 AM »
Where is the quote from? It sounds, to me, like it is from someone who wants to deal with environmental affairs and uses Mary as a tool to get his views heard.
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +89/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 08:50:25 AM »
Holy trees batman!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8143015.stm

the clergy weren't too impressed though...
However, local parish priest Father Willie Russell remains unimpressed.

"I have seen the tree ... it's only a tree," he said.

Fr Russell said views were mixed on whether the image looks like that of the Virgin Mary.

The Catholic Church's hierarchy in Ireland also feels dubious about the tree stump, according to Limerick diocese spokesman Fr Paul Finnerty.

"The Church's response to phenomena of this type is one of great scepticism," he said.

Offline wheels5894

• Reader
  • Darwins +106/-1
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 09:19:47 AM »
Thanks for that! I must have missed the story when it first came out!
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 10:00:24 AM »
I'm glad I missed the story.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +523/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 10:42:19 AM »
The Catholic Church's hierarchy in Ireland also feels dubious about the tree stump, according to Limerick diocese spokesman Fr Paul Finnerty.

"The Church's response to phenomena of this type is one of great scepticism," he said.

"While we do not wish in any way to detract from devotion to Our Lady, we would also wish to avoid anything which might lead to superstition."

WTF! So they'll be closing down their churches and making priests, etc. redundant? 
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 12:26:11 PM »
^^^^they could go to work making Guinness... better service to humanity
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan