Author Topic: Environmental Grads  (Read 179 times)

Offline emilysmith

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
    • ChillMill World
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Environmental Grads
« on: August 28, 2013, 01:22:40 AM »
Howdy, so here goes:

I'm thinking of applying to ucd's access science course this year with a view to starting a Bsc in 2014. I have looked through the science brochure and the environmental biology pathway appealed to me.

I am curious though, as to where such a degree would take me, are there enviro-grads on boards? And if so what kind of jobs are you doing? I noticed a thread a while back decrying the state of the jobs market for enviro grads here, so have you guys had to emigrate or have you found jobs in Ireland??

Many thanks for any replies.
Learn About Education | Watch Live TV

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +268/-31
Re: Environmental Grads
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 07:58:07 AM »
I know a few who were in several of my earth science classes (I took geology) - as far as I know, they're having trouble finding work now.  Biology is a difficult science to get work in these days, at least most parts of biology, and that includes environmental.
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
Re: Environmental Grads
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 08:57:28 AM »
I'm taking an intro biology class this semester for my chemistry degree and my professor works for the Illinois Department of Natural Resources.  He was talking about how he recently was asked to help with hiring eight new employees.  He never said what the positions were but alluded that they were some low level biology positions.  Then he said that of the fifty or so applications, at least two of people being considered had PhD's in biology.  So to echo what Azdgari said, it sounds like biology will be a difficult field to find work.
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson