Author Topic: Conservative Catholic changes his mind about gay marriage... sorta  (Read 379 times)

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +76/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
From the Friendly Atheist over at Patheos: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2013/08/27/a-catholic-scholar-has-a-change-of-heart-on-gay-marriage-and-its-a-doozy-for-all-the-wrong-reasons/

Basically Joseph Bottum, a noted writer and defender of conservative Catholicism, has come out in favor of gay marriage. It's not so much a genuine change of heart, or an actual apology to the incredible harm done by the Church to the GLBT community, as it is a capitulation.

Bottum (if I understand his rather convoluted essay) acknowledges that the majority of folks in the US, particularly the younger generation, no longer see gay marriage as morally objectionable and do see the Church's opposition to it as oppression. He also thinks that since marriage (in much of the Western world) has changed to accept relatively easy divorce that same-sex marriage isn't that much more of a leap. Finally, he proposes that opposing gay marriage is a dead end and that there are better avenues to preserve the religious conservatism he finds so valuable.

If this is another sign of mainstream Catholicism acknowledging the reality of gay relationships (that GLBT people can love and desire lifelong commitment and families), then I see that as progress. That should be recognized. But like Firma the blog writer, I don't see any real acceptance in this particular change of view. And genuine acceptance is what's needed for lasting change.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 01:40:52 PM by wright »
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
Re: Conservative Catholic changes his mind about gay marriage... sorta
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 02:01:10 PM »
Are you trying to say some teachings can evolve?
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +307/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 04:18:29 PM »
Are you trying to say some teachings can evolve?

It's not evolving, just different nappies.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +522/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 04:25:26 PM »
Basically Joseph Bottum, a noted writer and defender of conservative Catholicism, has come out in favor of gay marriage.

Is he going to be burned at the stake for heresy? Can you get tickets for me?

What about God saying it's an abomination?

And all those heterosexual marriages that have been totally destroyed!!!??? What's he doing about that, eh?
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +307/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 04:27:41 PM »
Basically Joseph Bottum, a noted writer and defender of conservative Catholicism, has come out in favor of gay marriage.

Is he going to be burned at the stake for heresy? Can you get tickets for me?

What about God saying it's an abomination?

And all those heterosexual marriages that have been totally destroyed!!!??? What's he doing about that, eh?

Praying.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Betelnut

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +13/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 08:24:39 PM »
I do like the guy's name in the context of the subject.   ;D