Author Topic: Got preached to today  (Read 540 times)

Offline colin040

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Got preached to today
« on: August 26, 2013, 11:37:00 AM »
So today while walking in town some christian dude came to me. He asked whether I believed in god and yadayada. Eventually we had a little discussion. Cause I wasn't in a hurry I felt like trying it anyway (and yes, it was worth of it, as I got a good laugh out of it!)

Guy: ''so you don't believe in heaven huh, well what IF there's a heaven. Do you think you'd go there?''
Me ''Well yeah, I'd say so.''
Guy: '''But have you ever lied or sweared to someone?''
Me: ''Yeah sure I did.''
Guy: ''Well you cannot enter heaven if you do those things you know!''
Me: ''Imagine if you kept jews hidden in your house. Later some nazis show up and ask if you keep jews in your home. Would you lie about it? I probably would.''
Guy: <tries to slightly change the subject>
Me: ''No dude, answer the question. Would you or wouldn't you lie?''
Guy: ''Well, I MIGHT lie. But I also have to think about myself, you know?''
Me: ''This scares me. It scares me how you wouldn't lie to safe someone else's life. Now this is quite an extreme example, sure, but stil, I wouldn't like a religion telling me to always speak the truth.''
Guy: ''Well anyway, as long as you don't accept Jesus you won't be welcome to heaven.''
Me: ''So what about hindus and muslims? Won't they go to heaven despite maybe having a good intention anyway?''
Guy: ''But I'm bad too!''
Me: ''What does this mean anyway? Would they go to heaven yes or no?''
Guy: ''Well, no, you see...they must pay for their sins in heaven for a while.

Now this thing really caught my attention.

Me: ''Hmm...I haven't read the bible or anything, but isn't hell going on forever?
Guy: ''Well, the bible says so, but I personally believe that it isn't.
Me: ''Ehh, if the bible is talking about it being eternal and you're not, aren't you not agreeing with what the bible says while you're clearing are suppose to?''
Guy: The greek translated version (what is that suppose to mean anyway?) doesn't say so.

After a while the converastion is about to end. He prays, asks for my name, which I didn't give and I walked on.

Thoughts on this? Should I just ignore these people? How do you handle them?

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
Re: Got preached to today
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 12:40:44 PM »
Gee, what about the people who lived before Jesus?  And what about people who lived in the New World and never heard of Jesus?  It's fun playing with the Christians if you have time.  You never win because they are not capable of rational thought but it can fill a boring day.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 12:43:46 PM »
Are you saying Ray Comfort or the dreamy Kirk Cameron accosted you on the street?? Always keep a banana handy to dangle in front of them and make your escape while they are entranced by it!
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +307/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 03:09:17 PM »
Those people, I'd walk away. You want one who thinks they are intelligent enough to hold such a discussion.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +49/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 09:04:04 PM »
He asked whether I believed in god and yadayada.

Sure, the Christian god is easy to argue against.  But god and yadayada - that's not so easy...
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 06:43:06 AM »
^^^ go ahead, prove yadayada doesn't exist  :laugh:
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 08:07:13 AM »
How much of your day do you want to spend trying to convince a child in an adults body that Blue fairy is keeping the monster under the bed at bay? AFAIAC, if you are waiting for your oil to be changed, or your food order...it beats reading whatever crappy free papers are available. Beyond that, not exactly fruitful use of time, but sometimes entertaining.

My favorite is one halloween I dressed as an angel...with a scythe. And they approached me and tried to base their conversation on how I was dressed. I started sharpening the sythe on the curb and stated with a crazed look "I am dressed this way to remind people how short  of a time before the Lord's judgement will come upon them!"

They moved on quickly.

An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Star Stuff

• Darwins +146/-2
  • Carbon-based life form.
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 10:58:26 PM »

Their minds have been turned to stone, so it's not worth conversing with them there & then.  Write the URL of this forum on a piece of paper and give it to him, and say something like:  "If you feel that you're beliefs, claims & assertions can withstand scrutiny, I encourage you - no - challenge you to register here and see how you do."
God is an Imaginary Friend for Grown-ups

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +655/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 02:02:39 PM »

I think you did alright.  Not great.  Not terrible.  Better than "meh".  A solid B+.

How should these people be handled?  Well, my first impusle is to rain down unrestrained violence upon them.  There are pros and cons to this approach. 

The pros:
  • It is highly gratifying in the very short term
  • It may make other xians reconsider their commitment to jesus H.  They may ask themselves, "do I really find the stories of this alleged god-man so persuasive that I'd be willing to endure extensive dental reconstruction and a separated shoulder?"  I think most people's answer will be, not really.
  • It is a lot simpler and less time consuming than learning arguments, counter-arguments and a Masters levels of knowledge in the fields of archaeology, theology, the bible, evolution, history, astrophysics, etc.
  • This may sort the "wheat from the chaff".  It will weed out the wishy washy xians, which are legion.  It will leave the church pews mostly empty, depriving them of vast revenues.

The cons:
  • The gratification will wear off once the police show up. 
  • The medium and long term effects will be worse.  It will get you into trouble and make atheists look like a bunch of meanies, which most people think we are anyway, but this will confirm it.
  • It will also confirm xians' ridiculous and untrue belief that they are still oppressed and persecuted, just like jesus H.
  • If it does have the desired effect of driving off the weak of faith, the remaining xians will be the extremists.  The last thing we need are unregulated religious extremists.
  • Beating the snot out of an evangelist is not a persuasive argument to anyone.

So, on balance, I recommend against violence.  It is self indulgent and short sighted.  You may fantasize about it, or make a video game for it, but you should not actually do it.

I think the best approach, if you have time to prepare, is to dress as a clown or a mime and mock the preacher.  Make a crucifix out of balloons or a "thorny crown" and do funny things with it.  Honk your bicycle horn every time he says "jesus".  Pretend there is an invisible box around him.  Act out the ridiculous things he says.  Ape his every move.

But also make sure to carry a set of brass knuckles for when they inevitably get fed up and attack you.  The violence thing is permissible then.  Few things are more humiliating than getting your ass beat by a mime.

If the Romans had known the power of ridicule, they could have employed their soldiers to throw pies at all the budding messiahs rather than nail them to poles.  Had they done that, then perhaps today we would be done with religion.  The Roman pantheon would have been abandoned long ago and judaims would have run out of gas.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Star Stuff

• Darwins +146/-2
  • Carbon-based life form.
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 02:06:39 PM »
Honk your bicycle horn every time he says "jesus".

Now that my friends, is funny.
God is an Imaginary Friend for Grown-ups

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 02:23:51 PM »
Honk your bicycle horn every time he says "jesus".

Now that my friends, is funny.
Yeah, it is, they are always saying "Honk for Jesus".
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!