Author Topic: A response to your oversight [#2758]  (Read 1936 times)

Offline Tero

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +18/-5
  • WWGHA Member
Re: A response to your oversight [#2758]
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2013, 05:14:27 PM »
I'm confused. God does not pick lottery winners? Then who picks them?  :o

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +186/-8
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2013, 05:15:36 PM »
The devil of course.  It is gambling after all.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Online lotanddaughters

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +49/-21
  • Artist: Simon Vouet (1633)
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2013, 06:53:05 PM »
+1 for the 1st person to post the pic of the starving kid with the vulture  behind him.  OP how is     this (the pic) from a loving god?

Ask, and ye shall receive.

Good job, One Above All.

To the OP:

Put me in that picture with a jug of milk.[1] I would beat that vulture to death with the jug, and have vulture and milk for dinner. I would even invite your bullshit god to dinner. A non-existent bitch can never be considered "persona non grata".
 1. For the "jug of milk" illiterate:

Enough with your bullshit.
. . . Mr. Friday . . . that post really is golden.

Offline shnozzola

« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2013, 07:54:55 PM »

Understand, I'm not angry the picture was posted.  I am angry at myself.  I am angry at our common humanity.

I guess I am trying to say (to myself)   -no god, never was, argument over - society better do something about that child other than debate.   We can have dressed up great society philosophers arguing in fancy halls forever, showing each other pictures to win our debates, debating on and on and on , but only debating......
That pic is the poster pic for there being no God.  If there were how could It allow such a thing?  It could not.

But that's it, Nick - THERE IS NO GOD, ATHEISTS ARE CORRECT - WE (HUMANITY) ARE ALLOWING SUCH A THING.  If a picture ever deserves a darwin, that's the picture, but it should always be a negative darwin for what humanity allows.
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +186/-8
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2013, 07:58:31 PM »
If I remember right the photographer who took that pic (some time ago) ended up committing suicide as a result of the depression of a lack of human response to the suffering in the world.  Not a lot has changed since then.  Well, except that we have mega churches and get rich thru Christ ministries.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2013, 08:06:23 PM »
You know, becoming sure that there is no god - no heaven, hell, floating sky daddy, holy trinity, allah, etc - I start to not like the picture of the child and the vulture.  We atheists bring it out like a banner for winning debates.  With, say 90% of us, I don't know the numbers, on the atheist side, this picture reminds me of society's failing, not the proof of a non-existent god.

"We"? Not me. Not once have I ever done it. However, sometimes if words don't have an effect perhaps a picture. Not saying I agree with using such things as a tool such as that but there is some logic to it.

Probably most of us, atheists and theists, change our ringtones, fold up the laptops, and sip our lattes, happily convinced we've won the debate on the existence of a deity.  But that child is still there.  How many people have been killed in Syria in the last few days?  Outrage about a deity -  any threads on the constant man's inhumanity to man?   Maybe I got up on the wrong side of my oh-so-comfortable bed, but that child is always there.

One sometimes uses ammunition to get a certain point across. May not like it but, it's there.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Online lotanddaughters

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +49/-21
  • Artist: Simon Vouet (1633)
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2013, 08:11:17 PM »
If I remember right the photographer who took that pic (some time ago) ended up committing suicide as a result of the depression of a lack of human response to the suffering in the world.  Not a lot has changed since then.  Well, except that we have mega churches and get rich thru Christ ministries.

Yes.

And I would like to add that Christian organizations have undoubtedly used similar pictures in the hope of advancing their ministries, all-the-while ignoring(or hoping that their intended audience is ignoring) their assertions of an All-Loving, All-Knowing, All-Powerful, and All-Present God who watches over every single event in the universe, including the events in the pictures that they have provided.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2013, 10:37:18 PM »
I get where you are coming from schnozz - that is a hard pic to look at, but the theists will use the same pics and say just what you are saying as well.  I think we here can agree the world is pretty fukcde up but unlike our fundie brethren, we know if anyone is going to get fed, wounds patched, medicine delivered, it takes boots on the ground and sweat (not to discount when they do that too)... not praying.

Years ago, in a fundie church I attended, the pastor said "There are people starving in our city, dying of drug overdoses, and beating the hell out of their kids and no one in this pretty building gives a damn about them." He paused a moment as a hush fell over the crowd and then said, "Which of you are more concerned I just said a couple unBaptist words than with the rest of what I said?"  Know what? People were bitching about his language after the service... made me sick.

If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2013, 12:13:02 AM »

Yes.

And I would like to add that Christian organizations have undoubtedly used similar pictures in the hope of advancing their ministries, all-the-while ignoring(or hoping that their intended audience is ignoring) their assertions of an All-Loving, All-Knowing, All-Powerful, and All-Present God who watches over every single event in the universe, including the events in the pictures that they have provided.

Like those midnight infomercials that ask you for $30 a month to save these poor unfortunate souls. I mean, how did they get that way? Christian Humanitarian aid done by Catholics and Protestants. The thing is: many of their religions actions in the past caused so much of the turmoil today. The things they do today, some of that will cause turmoil tomorrow.

Now, I'm not purposely leaving out Muslims or Judaism, or even the individual governments of those particular countries, or even the power-hungry greed of some people to gain from those they believe are beneath them; they all have contributing factors. But religion itself, and Christianity (the Dominant religion) holds much of the blame.

When Christian nations invaded other countries, in my opinion it was for two main reasons: 1. Convert, and 2. Take their resources. There may be other factors but those are, I believe, the main ones.

I heard years ago that for many of the "nonprofit" organizations that the funds they get from the poor and the middle class basically go to paying the bills (included is payment of services of employees and those who run the foundation(s)) and to use the body of the money to create events where they spend millions of dollars (or whatever currency) to get the rich to purchase $10,000+ dinners etc., and whatever money they may donate actually goes to helping those who are their targets while those same people, including the organization try to influence the governments of those places to do their underlining goal such as introducing bills that condemn homosexuality, abortion, and anything progressive. Keep the people running the government in power and wealthy, keep the country poor and restricted. And politician s in the US, have in the past (and probably currently) who have influence with these "funds" have helped implement such policies. They can't save the United States but they can "save" other countries.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +93/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2013, 04:41:41 AM »
<snip>When Christian nations invaded other countries, in my opinion it was for two main reasons: 1. Convert, and 2. Take their resources. There may be other factors but those are, I believe, the main ones...
I agree that these are factors however I think another historical motive for the church promoting warfare was to bind christian nations together against a bogeyman in order for the church to maintain its position of superiority in those nations when it felt it was loosing dominance/control.

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +385/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2013, 11:23:01 AM »
God does indeed tell us that he will answer all of our prayers.  But He does not say he give us "everything we ask for".  He answers our prayers in three ways... Yes, No, and Not at this time.

Here's the thing...I would be totally OK if god answered prayers with yes, no, or not at this time.

But that's not what happens.  What happens is no answerNot responding is not the same thing as responding with a 'yes', 'no', or 'not at this time'.  The problem isn't that prayers aren't answered in the way we want them answered, but it's that prayers are plainly not responded to.  That points to the behavior of either an inattentive asshole or a non-existent entity.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +191/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2013, 01:15:26 PM »
Regarding the picture - it's very difficult to look at and I agree that it certainly speaks to human failure more than the non-existence of a deity,  but I think it does a VERY good job of reminding people that the life of relative privilege that most of us enjoy is not present across the entire world. It's very easy to claim a loving god if you are never presented with graphic examples of innocents in preventable suffering. Hell, even if it does nothing to change anyone's mind on the topic of deities, it may serve as a wake up call to get people to take action on real world matters.

Every time I see it here it reminds me again of the scale of the problems we face, and frankly it renews my drive to do whatever I can to help make it a better planet for everyone. It both horrifies and inspires me - I hate the image but am committed to make myself LOOK at it and SEE it. Hell, I cried like a child the first time I saw it and I still tear up every time it gets posted again. And that's GOOD FOR ME - it shocks me out of any complacency I've allowed to creep in to my outlook.
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2013, 01:33:03 PM »
God does indeed tell us that he will answer all of our prayers.  But He does not say he give us "everything we ask for".  He answers our prayers in three ways... Yes, No, and Not at this time.

Here's the thing...I would be totally OK if god answered prayers with yes, no, or not at this time.

But that's not what happens.  What happens is no answerNot responding is not the same thing as responding with a 'yes', 'no', or 'not at this time'.  The problem isn't that prayers aren't answered in the way we want them answered, but it's that prayers are plainly not responded to.  That points to the behavior of either an inattentive asshole or a non-existent entity.

Most people do it incorrectly. In Christianity/Judaism you have to do it alone, and in a closet. Most Christians, that I have seen, do it with MANY people such as in a church or online, or a HUGE stadium of 10's of thousands of them. No one wonder they aren't heard.

;)

-Nam