Offline TripedalInstincts

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Hey!
« on: August 26, 2013, 02:35:53 AM »
Hello everyone, my name is Brandon aka "TripedalInstincts"

*General Background:
     I was born in Colorado and moved to Portland, OR after having my right arm amputated. I was diagnosed with tissue cancer at 20 months and required amputation and childhood cancer care, so I moved to Portland because of Shriner's Hospital. I have been living in Portland ever since.

Nowadays I am a math tutor and student at Portland State University, finishing up a degree which I'll receive in the spring next year. In my spare time I am a fitness enthusiast, both playing and coaching roller derby under the name "Armed N Dangerous", as well as learning how breakdance.

*Religious Background:
     Both of my parents are religious (Catholic), and growing up I went to a private Catholic school until 3rd grade when my parents split up. I lived with my mom and sister and switched to public school, during this time my mother remained religious but much more open-minded about other religious views. I suppose during this time I was Christian, although it mostly because of upbringing, and I didn't critically examine my beliefs.

In college that all changed, I became very interested in philosophy and logic and was a hardened skeptic by my first year. Due to my college experience, and watching religious debates featuring the "new atheists", I "came out" as an atheist to my mother and she was completely ok with it...my dad however seemed offended and to this day doesn't let up about it. I don't let him get to me though, I am willing to revise my beliefs and him this, often going to great lengths to show why his arguments are fallacious and what would be necessary to convince me. I am now an ardent pursuer of truth and advocate of science and reason.
"Tickets to the gun show, half off!!"

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +296/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Hey!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 02:58:23 AM »
When I'm bored I reply in these topics. I'm bored so...

Welcome.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously.

Offline viocjit

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 03:24:11 AM »
Welcome to the forum ! I liked your story.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 07:58:22 AM »
Welcome aboard, tripedal.  Are you vying for poster boy for the site? :)

I hope you enjoy your time here
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 08:05:48 AM »
Welcome T.  What are you getting your degree in?  Also, glad you found the site.  Maybe we can start a prayer circle for you...just kidding. ;)
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline William

• Fellow
  • Darwins +92/-2
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 08:13:38 AM »
I am now an ardent pursuer of truth and advocate of science and reason.

You seem perfect for this forum - nice authentic forum name too.
Welcome, looking forward to hearing your take on my old religion (ex Catholic too) and the +/- 38 000 other versions of Christian theist excusiology  :) 
Git mit uns

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +721/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 08:56:39 AM »
Welcome! I have a cousin, born back in the 70's with one arm partially amputated by an entangled ubilical cord, and both she and her family were helped from day one by the Portland Shriners Hospital, and none of them can say enough about how wonderful the people there were. Good folks. I'm glad to hear that you had access to the same hospital. I trust that your experience was just as good.

And as a native Oregonian (though I don't live there any more), a tip. Keep a bottle of bleach in the shower to help wash off the moss and lichen that start growing on you during the wet season, which generally runs from January to December.  :)

Stick around. We are a great excuse for avoiding actual responsibilities, like studying. Warning: We aren't quite as fun as roller derby and our ability to give ourselves cool roller derby type names seems lacking. Perhaps we aren't praying hard enough (the lack of a smiley is here mostly because I'm trying to stop using them so much, not because it didn't occur to me).

Oh, and watch out for Nam. He's one of us but he's an asshole. (Damn, now I gotta use another smiley!)  ;D
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +274/-34
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 04:09:00 PM »
Welcome to the forum, TripedalInstincts. Just letting you know that I'm real, but you won't go to hell (or heaven, for that matter, since there's no such thing) for not believing. Have fun.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 04:34:28 PM »
@Nick - So I received an A.S. in electrical engineering and a B.S. in general science. In the spring next year I will receive another B.S. in mathematics, I'm hoping to be a math/science teacher

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 04:40:35 PM »
Tri,
Did someone just throw you off a piece of equipment in your pic?  I could only do that if you removed a significant amount of my spine!  Err, then again, I'd never leave the house   ;D
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 04:56:13 PM »
lol...just doing some reverse crunches, unfortunately I needed someone else to take the picture though  :P

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2013, 06:34:56 PM »
@Nick - So I received an A.S. in electrical engineering and a B.S. in general science. In the spring next year I will receive another B.S. in mathematics, I'm hoping to be a math/science teacher
Schools are begging for math and science teachers.  You will have no trouble getting a job in those areas.  Good luck.  Education, while low paying, can be very rewarding.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +807/-5
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 10:44:53 PM »
Hi TPI-- I love roller derby, at least in theory. And some of my best friends are one-armed and dangerous. Can you do that one-hand hopping break-dance move? If you can do that, I will worship you the same way I worship Thor. :D
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +74/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 11:31:08 PM »
Welcome to the forum, TPI. Look forward to seeing you around.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline This Is Me

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • Merry-go-rounds make me too dizzy
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2013, 01:19:05 PM »
Awesome to meet you!!!!
This planet and universe puts me in awe everyday. Its not that I want to live forever, just long enough to learn everything =)  ~This is me

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2013, 08:07:10 AM »
Welcome!