Author Topic: Looking For Something Else...  (Read 541 times)

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Looking For Something Else...
« on: August 23, 2013, 09:48:26 PM »
...and I found this website: http://justconservative.com -- it's a website dedicated to bringing back conservative idealism to the film industry (Hays Code, anyone?).

You should see some of the films they list as "Great Conservative films", for one, they're made by the sad and pathetic Liberals they say are ruining the great country of the United States (based on their "Who we are" FAQ). Of course they have listed many Classic films but they have some recent ones that, in my opinion, do not scream conservativism but of course they say they do.

Usual spiel of this being a "Christian" nation, and using quotes by George Washington (deist) to show evidence of it.

There's this sort of whining attitude about the whole thing, that's what I read anyway.

What's also humorous is that FOX films (and their affiliates) are owned by Rupert Murdoch who is extremely conservative (in my opinion based on his FAUX News, and Conservative newspapers) yet many of the Liberal films out there are produced by FOX, like some of the films the website complains about.

Funny website.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +127/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
Re: Looking For Something Else...
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 12:57:55 AM »
Naturally they picked You've Got Mail which features a huge corporation obliterating a small business.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 10:24:21 AM »
Naturally they picked You've Got Mail which features a huge corporation obliterating a small business.

Not to mention two people living together and one of them cheating on the other.

Not to mention a grandfather who is on his 4th wife (I doubt the first 3 died).

Not to mention meeting up with strangers you found online.

Not to mention lying and deception.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 12:00:50 PM »
I like how they pick certain films that have extreme violence, nudity, etc., yet try to justify those films to fit their idealism of "conservatism".

It's all around funny.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 09:21:07 AM »
There's this sort of whining attitude about the whole thing, that's what I read anyway.

That sums up conservativism. 
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 05:36:34 PM »

True but I was trying just to point it out of the website.

I like how they say "The Wild Bunch" is a Christian film. I mean, the massacre of men, women, and children in the film makes that evident to us but to them it's about "redemption".

Tell me that's not only funny but pathetically sad?

-Nam

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +258/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 12:19:49 PM »
The put on the Princess bride....which I can't figure out the conservative connection...but don't include one of the top conservative value films...Ghostbusters.

Don't get me wrong, I love the film....however...look at the basic plot points of the movie

It involves a group of scientists who are dismissed from the university for not conforming to standard science, even though they are right(a big nod to creationism)

They go into private practice and excel (entrepaneurism)

They are thwarted by a guy from the EPA (anti-regulation)

They have to defeat a mid eastern religious figure (Anti Non Christian religion sentiment)

An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 03:18:47 PM »
^true.

-Nam

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +258/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 08:49:37 AM »

I don't think so. The "My country right or wrong" attitude is hardly whining.

However, the whining seems however to be more common as of late. My thought as to the reason why is sometime in the late 80s they have unconsciously adopted the meme of the Marxist Dialectic; you are either the oppressor or the oppressed. So in order to have any moral legitimacy you have to identify as being oppressed. Now, why would they have adopted something from a source that is such anathema? My thought on this is twofold: One; Universities since the 60s have been soaked in left wing thought so all intellectualism has picked up a few stray pressures from Marx. Two; Conservatism especially since the late 60s has been closely aligned with Christianity; which is still tied up with being a slave religion as well as a having a siege mentality.

An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 09:05:50 AM »
I don't think so. The "My country right or wrong" attitude is hardly whining.

yeah, you are probably right.  Conservativism is only half whining.  The other half is bravado.  Conservatism is rooted in insecurity.  I've never known a conservative who was not a fundamentally insecure, terrified person.  Thus their obsession with guns and war and dominating other people.  "My country blah blah blah" - which is a misquotation of what I consider to be a very patriotic sentiment[1] - is a flag waving and chest beating effort to stave off the fear they feel at their core at everything unfamiliar.  It is a front to make sure others do not perceive their fear. 
 1. Sen Carl Schurz - "My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 11:24:58 AM »
"Whining" and "fear" -- not a good combination.

-Nam