Author Topic: Why are scientists afraid of god?  (Read 23957 times)

Offline harbinger77

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-15
  • WWGHA Member
Re: Why are scientists afraid of god?
« Reply #290 on: January 02, 2014, 01:11:39 AM »
Hey, Harbinger, I've got some bad news, and some really bad news.

Earthquakes appear to be increasing, but in fact the number of reported earthquakes is going up because of the constantly increasing number of seismographs being installed around the world. The number that is getting larger is of those little tiny ones like in OK. The ones that are harder to detect if you don't have a seismograph close by.

Now for the really bad news. This is what I tell every Christian who tells me that the end times are coming.

I hope that you live a long and prosperous life. But at the end of your life, you will notice that Jesus hasn't returned. You'll have been expecting him for years, but he won't have shown up. And you'll wonder why not. And not only will you wonder why not, you'll wonder how an atheist knew back in 2014 that he wouldn't return in your life time.

Of course, right now you know I'm wrong, so make sure you tell all your kids and laugh about what the silly atheist said. But Jesus won't return in their lifetimes either, nor in the lifetimes of your grandchildren or great grandchildren. If you do laugh about it now, and he doesn't come back in your lifetime, your children and grandchildren might remember the story and wonder why he didn't come back during their lives either. And wonder how an atheist knew it wouldn't happen.

So you've been told. Do with it as you wish.

Maybe so.. but I doubt it. more than 4 Decades have seen the seismograph in OKC for sure.

"2009 was an exceptional year for seismic activity in Oklahoma with 43 felt earthquakes with 27 of those occurring in Oklahoma County. The Oklahoma Geological Survey has been running seismograph stations in partnership with volunteers since 1961."
http://www.ogs.ou.edu/level3-earthquakehazardT.php

However, the seismograph was invented in 1880. I'm sure some smart scientists have these things all over the place and are at the least not "constantly" adding to the number. I could be wrong though.
http://inventors.about.com/od/sstartinventions/a/seismograph.htm

this one is an old LA times article:
"The number of earthquakes greater than magnitude 4.0 in Southern California and Baja California has increased significantly in 2010. There have been 70 such quakes so far this year, the most of any year in the last decade. And it's only April. There were 30 in 2009 and 29 in 2008."
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/04/california-sees-increase-in-earthquake-sesimologists-fight-twitter-rumors.html

OK again.
"The quake activity is a far cry from four years ago when the state had but 20 rumblers of 3.0 and
above. And from 1991 to 2008 there were no more than three quakes a year of that size in the state."
http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSBRE9AI12W20131119?irpc=932

Do you have something to back up your claim? it seems logical and well thought out dissmissal. I just doubt it's the case. Have you researched this or just guessing?

A side note: Maybe your comment is even prophetic?

2Peter3:3-4
 3 Know this first of all, that in the last days mockers will come with their mocking, following after their own lusts,
4 and saying, "Where is the promise of His coming? For ever since the fathers fell asleep, all continues
just as it was from the beginning of creation." 

I assume your answer to post #281 is also a no?
I can't help but look at those pages (human genome) and have a vague sense that this is giving me a glimpse of God's mind.
-Francis Collins lead scientist Human Genome project

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +818/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #291 on: January 02, 2014, 01:32:14 AM »
I'm pretty sure my post #287 covered my opinion of #281

You go ahead and believe whatever you want about earthquakes. It won't help. Ignore that the average number of stronger earthquakes has stayed steady as the number of earthquakes appear to you to be climbing. Don't make actual information important. That would throw off your wishes something fierce.

Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline harbinger77

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #292 on: January 02, 2014, 01:34:38 AM »
My question is are you familiar with end time prophesy and are you looking for them as they are being fulfilled?

Answer: Nope.

Hey, and even that is too much information. Man, if there is anything I wish I knew nothing about, it is that end-times junk. So many times in my life folks have come up with definite dates. Needless to say, none of them ever happened. But that doesn't stop others from trying to come up with the ams sort of thing. Its like they think that being determined will actually make it happen.

And the answer to that question is the same. Nope.

exact date will never happen.. Eventually someone may get close. time of year or something. Eventually we will know the YEAR of the second coming but by that time there will not be anyone I one left trying to answer the question. Just a bunch of people thinking it already happened and celebrating that those Christians disappeared. :)

Lots of no votes.... Interesting....
I can't help but look at those pages (human genome) and have a vague sense that this is giving me a glimpse of God's mind.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +818/-6
« Reply #293 on: January 02, 2014, 01:48:45 AM »
My question is are you familiar with end time prophesy and are you looking for them as they are being fulfilled?

Answer: Nope.

Hey, and even that is too much information. Man, if there is anything I wish I knew nothing about, it is that end-times junk. So many times in my life folks have come up with definite dates. Needless to say, none of them ever happened. But that doesn't stop others from trying to come up with the ams sort of thing. Its like they think that being determined will actually make it happen.

And the answer to that question is the same. Nope.

exact date will never happen.. Eventually someone may get close. time of year or something. Eventually we will know the YEAR of the second coming but by that time there will not be anyone I one left trying to answer the question. Just a bunch of people thinking it already happened and celebrating that those Christians disappeared. :)

Do you have any particular reason to think that atheists would have any interest in the subject? Have you redefined us in your head to be extraordinarily curious about exactly the same things you are curious about or something? Obviously we think all the prophecy stuff is bull, and obviously we don't dwell on the subject. What were you expecting instead?

Do I have to say it again. The dude won't come back in your lifetime, your kids lifetime, your grandkids lifetime, ad infinitum. Period.

Trust me on this. I exist, so I'm better informed than your sources.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
  • Retired Residential Tulpamancer.
« Reply #294 on: January 02, 2014, 01:51:58 AM »

My question to you is: Are you familiar with the end time prophesy of pastafarianism, and are you looking for them as they are fulfilled?
Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Offline harbinger77

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #295 on: January 02, 2014, 02:19:54 AM »

You go ahead and believe whatever you want about earthquakes. It won't help. Ignore that the average number of stronger earthquakes has stayed steady as the number of earthquakes appear to you to be climbing. Don't make actual information important. That would throw off your wishes something fierce.

I'm not focused on magnatude. Why are you?
You realize what I quoted was seismologists who say the earthquakes are on what they called in the LA Times for one, an "up tic" and they don't know why. At least in OK they can blame gas and oil fracking.

Hears another quote:
Now, in a paper to be deliver at the annual meeting of the Seismological Society of America, the USGS
notes that “a remarkable increase in the rate of [magnitude 3.0] and greater earthquakes is currently in progress” in the U.S. midcontinent. The abstract is online. EnergyWire reports (subs. req’d) some of the findings:
The study found that the frequency of earthquakes started rising in 2001 across a broad swath of
the country between Alabama and Montana. In 2009, there were 50 earthquakes greater than
magnitude-3.0, the abstract states, then 87 quakes in 2010. The 134 earthquakes in the zone last
year is a sixfold increase over 20th century level
In case  it was missed that's a quote from a paper to be shared at

notice here the USGS SAYS in a no doubt unpopular meeting if not private meeting among friends...

“a remarkable increase in the rate of [magnitude 3.0] and greater earthquakes is currently in progress”
http://www.globalresearch.ca/sharp-rise-in-u-s-earthquakes-almost-certainly-manmade-usgs-scientists-report/30192

To show I really do want to be fair this is something from the USGS they did put forth the same "explination" as you did. Notice  the dot gov in the web address? That's public relations. Trust an old soldier when he says your gov lies to, at best, keep the peace.
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/learn/topics/increase_in_earthquakes.php

Offline harbinger77

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #296 on: January 02, 2014, 02:29:12 AM »

My question to you is: Are you familiar with the end time prophesy of pastafarianism, and are you looking for them as they are fulfilled?

The only other one that really matters is Islam and in that case yes I am :)
Gotta know the enemy.

There are others. I like the Hopi indians prophesies too. I am interested in more than just Christian prophesy. The subject alone is fascinating to me.

I asked this question because I was told most of you are wanting and even looking for a sign of some sort. I think it's interesting to find out that so far none of you are doing the the looking that's all.

I would expect at least looking for a sign would mean learning some sort of prophesy and watching to see if it happens if only in an offhanded way.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #297 on: January 02, 2014, 02:35:54 AM »

Why might that be?

Pastafarianism has accurately predicted that temperature raises when there are less pirates. ;)
Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Offline harbinger77

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #298 on: January 02, 2014, 02:36:09 AM »
The discussion is, Are Earthquakes increasing in number in the recent years?" Granted it was started from a biblical text but my sources are the scientific community on this one.
Why do you now attack the off handed mention of the second coming?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 06:42:56 AM by pianodwarf »

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #299 on: January 02, 2014, 02:37:24 AM »
Wtf?

I never said that!

Offline harbinger77

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #300 on: January 02, 2014, 02:46:21 AM »

Why might that be?

Pastafarianism has accurately predicted that temperature raises when there are less pirates. ;)

Islamic Eschatology is perfectly opposite of Christian Eschatology.
For example the one we call the false prophet the Al mahdi maybe you heard Ahmadinejad mention him. The anti-christ we are looking for is their Isa (their Jesus) The one they fear is the one who come with king of kings written on His thigh... that's our Jesus. I doesn't stop there either. the amazing thing.. ask any muslim, Mohammed had no access to a Christian Bible.

Offline harbinger77

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #301 on: January 02, 2014, 02:50:22 AM »
Wtf?

I never said that!

my appologies post #298.....
I messed up the quote and I don't know how to fix it....

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #302 on: January 02, 2014, 02:52:41 AM »

Maybe like....you know...Use the "Edit" function?

My point is "Why do you ignore other religions prophesies, teachings, etc? And what made you believe christianity is the one true religion?"

Offline harbinger77

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #303 on: January 02, 2014, 03:06:22 AM »

Maybe like....you know...Use the "Edit" function?

My point is "Why do you ignore other religions prophesies, teachings, etc? And what made you believe christianity is the one true religion?"
Really I'm sorry. I deleted some thing critical I guess. I did edit it the best I knew how... I'm sorry.

To answer your question though. I hope you don't mind me asking a question or two along the way.
Good vs Evil...
I've always believed and have seen the supernatural. I started in the Occult. I've seen evil things. Knowing there is an evil. There must also be a good. knowing good is truth and evil is lie. I figured the good would manifest it's self in truth and evil would oppose it in lies. There can only be one truth.  I looked for the one religion that manifests it's self as evil, unashamedly so. Can you name that religion? can you support why it teaches only evil? I'm interested in your answer at this point... I'll give you my take too.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #304 on: January 02, 2014, 03:21:30 AM »
I looked for the one religion that manifests it's self as evil, unashamedly so. Can you name that religion? can you support why it teaches only evil? I'm interested in your answer at this point... I'll give you my take too.

Being that evil is subjective, that is a malformed question.

But, to attempt to answer it anyway, i find that no religion teaches ONLY evil.
Perhaps more evil than good, but i cannot comprehend something being pure evil, even the worst dictators in history had minor redeeming features.

Thus i have no answer.

You also failed to answer my question, why are you so renowned for not answering direct questions?

The question is simple, why do you ignore other religions, and call christianity true?

There must be a reason, even a minute one, so what is it?

Offline harbinger77

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #305 on: January 02, 2014, 03:37:32 AM »
I looked for the one religion that manifests it's self as evil, unashamedly so. Can you name that religion? can you support why it teaches only evil? I'm interested in your answer at this point... I'll give you my take too.

Being that evil is subjective, that is a malformed question.

But, to attempt to answer it anyway, i find that no religion teaches ONLY evil.
Perhaps more evil than good, but i cannot comprehend something being pure evil, even the worst dictators in history had minor redeeming features.

Thus i have no answer.

You also failed to answer my question, why are you so renowned for not answering direct questions?

The question is simple, why do you ignore other religions, and call christianity true?

There must be a reason, even a minute one, so what is it?

no I'm renowned for messing up quotes. My simple and direct answer is good vs evil. Knowing you want more I'm explaining....

disclaimer: I didn't jump right into being a Christian because I thought something like a rose by any other name... satan was only a name.

The answer as I see it is without doubt Satanism. It teaches through magik animal and child/infant sacrifice. They need the pure innocent blood of babies. you can look into this some have women who are only part of the coven because they have babies for the sacrifice. The satanist uses the ritual and the magik to increase their own powers while on earth. It's believed that once they have done enough work for satan they will go on to rule in Hell. Not all of Hell of course but they will have minions and powers.

look into satanism and tell me what's good about it.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #306 on: January 02, 2014, 03:49:10 AM »

Again, good and bad are subjective.

A mass murderer says something you would call bad, "Good" and you would call something a bad person would loathe "Good".

no I'm renowned for messing up quotes. My simple and direct answer is good vs evil. Knowing you want more I'm explaining....

Which is irrelevant to the question. *- darwins*

The answer as I see it is without doubt Satanism. It teaches through magik animal and child/infant sacrifice. They need the pure innocent blood of babies. you can look into this some have women who are only part of the coven because they have babies for the sacrifice. The satanist uses the ritual and the magik to increase their own powers while on earth. It's believed that once they have done enough work for satan they will go on to rule in Hell. Not all of Hell of course but they will have minions and powers.

No seriously, how the **** is this related to the question?

"What is your favorite color?"

Harbinger: Bacon!

That is what you look like to me...

Offline harbinger77

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #307 on: January 02, 2014, 03:51:22 AM »
the lie of satanism is that all the power is in you and comes from you.

At this point I explored all the major religions some obscure religions. I can't know all of the religions out there. I'm still looking and learning and finding that common lie. If you look on godisimaginary.com you will find a good list I've heard of and studied almost everyone on that list. Christianity is the only religion that teaches it's nothing of you. You can't do it the power is in God, where it should be.At this point if you want You can name any religion you want and I'll tell you why I specifically reject that one in addition to the lie.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #308 on: January 02, 2014, 03:58:27 AM »

No, the "power" in me derives from bio-chemical energy obtained from food, and electrons that activate my neurons/nerves.
Apparently you seem to lack many neurons.

Christianity is the only religion that teaches it's nothing of you. You can't do it the power is in God, where it should be.At this point if you want You can name any religion you want and I'll tell you why I specifically reject that one in addition to the lie.

Pastafarianism, Islam, Hinduism, Greek gods, Egyptian gods, Buddhism, Catholicism, Paganism.
Do i have to list EVERY religion?

Offline harbinger77

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #309 on: January 02, 2014, 03:59:59 AM »

Again, good and bad are subjective.

A mass murderer says something you would call bad, "Good" and you would call something a bad person would loathe "Good".

Which is irrelevant to the question. *- darwins*

No seriously, how the **** is this related to the question?

"What is your favorite color?"

Harbinger: Bacon!

That is what you look like to me...

How do you say my explanation of my answer is not related to your question?

Again knowing you would not accept good vs evil. sorry the answer is not as simple as you wanted it to be.

Another thing I see all over is that you can name whatever deity you wish and no body really gets to bothered by it. Name Jesus Christ and people get upset.

you speak truly on Good vs Evil from a mans vantage point. I have no desire to live to mans standard God has a Higher standard and it's absolute. I can't reach it nor can you That's why we need a saviour.

Isaiah 5:20
Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 04:03:09 AM by harbinger77 »

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #310 on: January 02, 2014, 04:12:15 AM »
again knowing you would not accept good vs evil. sorry the answer is not as simple as you wanted it to be.

If the only answer you can provide is "good and evil", then your choice for a religion is not very stable, your own belief is based on a subjective term!

Another thing I see all over is that you can name whatever deity you wish and no body really gets to bothered by it. Name Jesus Christ and people get upset.

I think i can safely say that not a single atheist here gives two shits about naming a deity.
Allah, Jesus, Yahweh, Flying Spaghetti Monster. No one cares. *Irrelevant garble another -Darwin invcoming*

you speak truly on Good vs Evil from a mans vantage point. I have no desire to live to mans standard God has a Higher standard and it's absolute. I can't reach it nor can you That's why we need a saviour.

What is absolute? What standard do you speak of?!
Such a thing does not exist, nor can any man get a higher standard on "good vs evil". (Ironically, higher is also subjective)
Also, what need for a savior does mankind have? Human standards have led us along good enough.

Isaiah 5:20
Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!

Woe unto them?
I am sure "evil" people say the same thing back.
The question is who is correct, which is answered with neither.
Also, bible verses are of no use to me, you might as well post a quote from War of the worlds.
Quote from: ? H.G. Wells, The War of the Worlds
“No one would have believed in the last years of the nineteenth century that this world was being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than man's and yet as mortal as his own; that as men busied themselves about their various concerns they were scrutinised and studied, perhaps almost as narrowly as a man with a microscope might scrutinise the transient creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water.”

OH MY GOD!
This means aliens are watching us!

Offline wheels5894

• Fellow
  • Darwins +121/-1
« Reply #311 on: January 02, 2014, 05:20:08 AM »
OH, dear! I've come late to the party - I suppose livi9ng in the UK has disadvantages as we are asleep when the best discussions take place! Anway...

Harbinger

1. Increases in siemic activity could be interesting but only if one takes a long look. For example, the last decade could have seen a rise but the previous century might have been higher and fallen back. The problem you have with this one is that the method of measurement of the activity was only invented in late 19th century and deployment has been quite slow over the years. Add to that the machines are much more able to measure smaller and smaller movements and its easy to see why the numbers might appear to be increasing. I wonder what the reaction fo Chrisitians was like when Krakatoa went off in 1883 - the weather changes from the eruption lasted into the 20th century. I bet someone was saying it was the end of the world then. So how about looking at historic records to make comparisons?

2. Here's a prediction you can trust - the earth will be absorbed by the sun in 7.5 billion years time. Sadly we won't be there to see it happpen but it will. For fun, search Google for 'end of the earth' and you will find lots of different dates to worry about.
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline harbinger77

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #312 on: January 02, 2014, 08:45:41 AM »

No, the "power" in me derives from bio-chemical energy obtained from food, and electrons that activate my neurons/nerves.
Apparently you seem to lack many neurons.

Christianity is the only religion that teaches it's nothing of you. You can't do it the power is in God, where it should be.At this point if you want You can name any religion you want and I'll tell you why I specifically reject that one in addition to the lie.

Pastafarianism, Islam, Hinduism, Greek gods, Egyptian gods, Buddhism, Catholicism, Paganism.
Do i have to list EVERY religion?

Hinduism: 1000s of Gods

Greek gods, Egyptian gods, Roman They can die and they are born. non-eternl and to many.

Buddhism, the power to transcend is in you you are a god just tap into it.

Catholicism Jesus only did some of it you have the rest of the power in you to preform penance

Paganism worship the creatED not the creatOR

Islam is complicated it's not like the rest. It's the strong delusion sent in the last days. Basically  Though Islam makes God tell a lie and be deceiving and makes him mess than immutable. the God of the old testament, which Islam acknowledges  as abrogated scripture, is not the same god in the quran. If you know Islam I could get into this with you otherwise I have to teach.

Offline harbinger77

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #313 on: January 02, 2014, 09:33:02 AM »
OH, dear! I've come late to the party - I suppose livi9ng in the UK has disadvantages as we are asleep when the best discussions take place! Anway...

Harbinger

1. Increases in siemic activity could be interesting but only if one takes a long look. For example, the last decade could have seen a rise but the previous century might have been higher and fallen back. The problem you have with this one is that the method of measurement of the activity was only invented in late 19th century and deployment has been quite slow over the years. Add to that the machines are much more able to measure smaller and smaller movements and its easy to see why the numbers might appear to be increasing. I wonder what the reaction fo Chrisitians was like when Krakatoa went off in 1883 - the weather changes from the eruption lasted into the 20th century. I bet someone was saying it was the end of the world then. So how about looking at historic records to make comparisons?

2. Here's a prediction you can trust - the earth will be absorbed by the sun in 7.5 billion years time. Sadly we won't be there to see it happpen but it will. For fun, search Google for 'end of the earth' and you will find lots of different dates to worry about.

you could well be right.
The problem is that fracking is new and the culprit. Jesus didn't say He would make it happen only that it would happen. It's what we call a second cause

As for the sun going supernova and other natural  events. I've always been interested in things like that too. This info is nothing new

Offline harbinger77

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #314 on: January 02, 2014, 09:34:24 AM »

Harbinger

you could well be right.
The problem is that fracking is new and the culprit. Jesus didn't say He would make it happen only that
it would happen. It's what we call a second cause
As for the sun going supernova and other natural events. I've always been interested in things like that
too. This info is nothing new
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 09:37:30 AM by harbinger77 »

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +818/-6
« Reply #315 on: January 02, 2014, 10:22:07 AM »

I'm not focused on magnatude. Why are you?
You realize what I quoted was seismologists who say the earthquakes are on what they called in the LA Times for one, an "up tic" and they don't know why. At least in OK they can blame gas and oil fracking.

Hears another quote:
Now, in a paper to be deliver at the annual meeting of the Seismological Society of America, the USGS
notes that “a remarkable increase in the rate of [magnitude 3.0] and greater earthquakes is currently in progress” in the U.S. midcontinent. The abstract is online. EnergyWire reports (subs. req’d) some of the findings:
The study found that the frequency of earthquakes started rising in 2001 across a broad swath of
the country between Alabama and Montana. In 2009, there were 50 earthquakes greater than
magnitude-3.0, the abstract states, then 87 quakes in 2010. The 134 earthquakes in the zone last
year is a sixfold increase over 20th century level
In case  it was missed that's a quote from a paper to be shared at

notice here the USGS SAYS in a no doubt unpopular meeting if not private meeting among friends...

“a remarkable increase in the rate of [magnitude 3.0] and greater earthquakes is currently in progress”
http://www.globalresearch.ca/sharp-rise-in-u-s-earthquakes-almost-certainly-manmade-usgs-scientists-report/30192

To show I really do want to be fair this is something from the USGS they did put forth the same "explination" as you did. Notice  the dot gov in the web address? That's public relations. Trust an old soldier when he says your gov lies to, at best, keep the peace.
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/learn/topics/increase_in_earthquakes.php

Three things.

1) There may be an increase in low level earthquakes. That is apparently open to interpretation as per various experts who seem to disagree.

2) On a dynamic planet, I can think of no reason for earthquake rates to be steady over time.

3) the increases, if real, are approximately one quadrillion times more likely to be caused by changes in plate tectonics that are independent of your prophecies than they likely to be a part of your claims.

However, if the bible has a chart showing the expected change in earthquakes, and it matches current charts, and most especially if it includes quakes under 3.0, which humans can't even feel, I'll be willing to reconsider.

Added: the tiny increase in quakes caused by fracking is interesting, not alarming. At least from your religious point of view. The environmental, not religious, ramifications are worth discussing, however. Obviously not here though.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 10:27:39 AM by ParkingPlaces »

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +818/-6
« Reply #316 on: January 02, 2014, 10:40:01 AM »
One more thing, Harbinger. I assume the prophecy to which you are referring stated clearly what the earthquake rates were at that time so that we would know that todays figures show an increase, right? I mean, what good is a prophecy with numbers if you don't give what was at the time current data? Huh? And you certainly must know that the number of earthquakes a hundred years ago exactly matched what which was being experienced thousands of years ago and stuff and can prove it, right? You know that there have not been any earlier variations, any earlier increases that would have indicated the same pattern, correct? You know that the prophets were taking into consideration world-wide numbers and not just local shakers, and can show your work, right? You know that earthquakes have held steady for thousands of years and are just now starting to increase. Right? You do have this information. You would have to or you wouldn't be making what would otherwise be crazy-assed claims.

So if you could provide the correct chapter and verse, I will then be both more informed and too less likely to make impossible demands like this.

Online jaimehlers

• Professor
  • Darwins +599/-19
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #317 on: January 02, 2014, 10:52:17 AM »
harbinger:

http://www.churchofsatan.com/

Where in that is this business of animal and human sacrifice, magic, etc, that you claim Satanists believe in?  Are you sure you're not referring to Christian propaganda about Satanists, rather than what Satanists themselves say?[1]

I think it's pretty clear that you don't have an example of a religion which teaches nothing but evil.  Just propaganda based on your current Christian beliefs.
 1. Note that I don't agree with the premise of this Church of Satan - but that is not the same as claiming to speak for it even though I don't follow its tenets.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #318 on: January 02, 2014, 11:02:34 AM »
Hinduism: 1000s of Gods

More logical, allows gods to peer review and allows concentration on subjects.

Greek gods, Egyptian gods, Roman They can die and they are born. non-eternl and to many.

Being non-eternal is logical, thus more likely than christianity.

Buddhism, the power to transcend is in you you are a god just tap into it.

Who doesnt want to be god? Am i right?
That, and their god is apparently more "active" than christians.

Catholicism Jesus only did some of it you have the rest of the power in you to preform penance

Okay, i am not going to make a snark retort here, i hate Catholics.

Paganism worship the creatED not the creatOR

Yeah! Screw the gods! We are important.
No worshiping omnipotents= +1 badassery.

Islam is complicated it's not like the rest. It's the strong delusion sent in the last days. Basically  Though Islam makes God tell a lie and be deceiving and makes him mess than immutable. the God of the old testament, which Islam acknowledges  as abrogated scripture, is not the same god in the quran. If you know Islam I could get into this with you otherwise I have to teach.

Allah is Allah, Yahweh is Yahweh.
I get it.
That, and old testament god is stated to be an asshole who abuses omnipotence by doing stupid shit.

I also notice that you did not answer my pastafarianism request, why is this so?

Honestly, there is no way for you to make one religion seem more "true" than others.
Adding cream and sprinkles in the form of everlasting life and prophesies to a delusion makes it no more true.