Author Topic: Why are scientists afraid of god?  (Read 17794 times)

Online jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +558/-17
  • WWGHA Member
Re: Why are scientists afraid of god?
« Reply #87 on: December 08, 2013, 09:57:54 PM »
Did you even read the link I posted?
It's the kind of tripe you get from creationists who simply don't have a good understanding of how evolutionary biology works.  Instead, they try to claim that variation only goes so far and no further (which just so happens to fit with what they want to believe), and so expound on that, while missing (or ignoring) the relevant points that would contradict their preexisting beliefs.  Take the point the author tried to make about bacteria - that no matter how many generations of bacteria happen, they always remain bacteria.

Except scientists have already observed single-celled organisms making the transition into multicellular ones[1].  The difference between single celled and multicellular organisms is hard to overstate - a single celled organism has to be able to do everything itself, whereas multicellular ones can differentiate, having cells that specialize in some activity or another.  Another important fact is that bacteria have the most potential to evolve, meaning that all existing life probably was initially single-celled bacteria, some of which happened to evolve in ways that led to the different forms of life which filled different niches.
 1. http://www.geekosystem.com/single-celled-to-multicellular/

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #88 on: December 08, 2013, 10:01:02 PM »
Did you even read the link I posted?
It's the kind of tripe you get from creationists who simply don't have a good understanding of how evolutionary biology works.  Instead, they try to claim that variation only goes so far and no further (which just so happens to fit with what they want to believe), and so expound on that, while missing (or ignoring) the relevant points that would contradict their preexisting beliefs.  Take the point the author tried to make about bacteria - that no matter how many generations of bacteria happen, they always remain bacteria.

Except scientists have already observed single-celled organisms making the transition into multicellular ones[1].  The difference between single celled and multicellular organisms is hard to overstate - a single celled organism has to be able to do everything itself, whereas multicellular ones can differentiate, having cells that specialize in some activity or another.  Another important fact is that bacteria have the most potential to evolve, meaning that all existing life probably was initially single-celled bacteria, some of which happened to evolve in ways that led to the different forms of life which filled different niches.
 1. http://www.geekosystem.com/single-celled-to-multicellular/

Even the Farro Island House Mouse is a witnessed speciation of a macroscopic mammal in 250 years.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Antidote

• Graduate
  • Darwins +19/-6
  • >.>
« Reply #89 on: December 08, 2013, 10:01:56 PM »
sorry about post #71. Not sure how that happened. anyway, dad's question. I think to say they fear God is wrong. To admit they have no answers is the true fear. To ever admit science is only creating more questions and problems on a molecular and cellular level where evolution is concerned is the real fear. Look at the "tree of life" I can buy a branch when the roots or even the trunk can be explained as possible.

try this link for an example. some of this a bit heady and there are a few remarks I could have done without but this was still a good read.

http://www.newgeology.us/presentation32.html

Scientists love questions, they're what fuels intellectual discourse, and the thirst for answers. You could say the Science can't exist without questions.

Yes annoying questions from a 4 year old tend to grate on peoples nerves, but actual honest questions about how things work, and why they do are the life blood of science.
According to Cpt. Obvious: Theists think they know God, Atheists require evidence.

---

Do not assume I was religious in any way, I have never been religious.

Offline RED_ApeTHEIST

• Student
  • Darwins +16/-0
  • Hyperintelligent Orangutan
« Reply #90 on: December 08, 2013, 10:44:34 PM »
ok one topic... This one is not from the paper I linked to though. The termite. A termite eats only wood. However it can't, on it's own, digest cellulose. If it can't digest it's food it dies. Inside the termite is another organism that makes an enzyme that breaks down the cellulose so the termite can digest it. This organism is also an anaerobe. If it were exposed to the oxygen outside the termite it would die. Neither one of these organisms can live without the other. my question is simple. Which evolved first?

Most likely the termites ancestors could digest cellulose but not very efficiently. Then at some point the termite's ancestors started carrying around said bacteria in their guts to be more efficient. Because they no longer needed to manufacture the enzymes  themselves, mutations that took away their own ability to manufacture them were no longer selected against. In fact, self producing said enzymes was now a drain on the termites resources and may have been selected against. At the same time the bacteria that breaks down the cellulose would have become more and more suited to living in the termites. They eventually got so good at living insode the termites that they stopped being able to live outside.

When you have trouble figuring out how an animal evolved, remember that the animals ancestors may have had organs and adaptations that their decedent does not.
The relevant equation is: Knowledge = power = energy = matter = mass; a good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read." - Terry Pratchet

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
  • Residential Tulpamancer.
« Reply #91 on: December 09, 2013, 02:01:05 AM »
If i recall correctly, termites evolved from cockroaches.
So i think it is likely that cockroaches inherited the bacteria, then evolved into termites.
Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Offline Antidote

• Graduate
  • Darwins +19/-6
  • >.>
« Reply #92 on: December 09, 2013, 02:04:38 AM »
You're right about the termite thing, but I'm having trouble pinning down the origin of the bacteria.
From Wikipedia:
"Termites are a group of eusocial insects that, until recently, were classified at the taxonomic rank of order Isoptera (see taxonomy below), but are now accepted as the infraorder Isoptera, of the cockroach order Blattodea"

EDIT:
However I think it's more appropriate to say that they share common ancestry.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 02:06:27 AM by Antidote »
According to Cpt. Obvious: Theists think they know God, Atheists require evidence.

---

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #93 on: December 09, 2013, 02:06:20 AM »
I can only assume that the bacteria allowed cockroaches to digest cellulose easily?
Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Offline Antidote

• Graduate
  • Darwins +19/-6
  • >.>
« Reply #94 on: December 09, 2013, 02:08:19 AM »
I can only assume that the bacteria allowed cockroaches to digest cellulose easily?

I haven't found anything on cockroaches having bacteria, and since cockroaches tend to be scavengers of food scraps, I don't see why they would require it. However that does not exclude that possibility, but in light of the evidence I'm more comfortable with Red's postulation.

---

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #95 on: December 09, 2013, 02:10:09 AM »
Facedesk

Just read over that post, yeah, that makes more sense.

Offline Antidote

• Graduate
  • Darwins +19/-6
  • >.>
« Reply #96 on: December 09, 2013, 02:13:32 AM »
Heh, live and learn ;P

---

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #97 on: December 09, 2013, 06:39:33 AM »
harbinger,

instead of simply ignoring that your link apparently has been refuted by science and posing new questions, what you ought do is adjust your 'belief' to coincide with reality. What you are doing is trying to hang on to beliefs despite the facts. As usual, what we suggest here is go to a peer reviewed scientific source (yes, this rules out your creationist sources) and learn what the actual theory of evolution is.

Furthermore, when you decide to question evolution (which is fine) try to ask the same question of ID or creationism. What sense does it make to create a termite that cant digest its food source then to make a bacteria to assist in that action, instead of just making the termite able to digest the wood? Its one of the more dumb things I ever heard. When you start to question creationism the way that you attempt to question evolution, creationism is revealed as extremely silly. Evolution answers the questions perfectly.

Whats intelligent about putting a breathing pipe next to an eating pipe?

Offline wheels5894

• Reader
  • Darwins +106/-1
« Reply #98 on: December 09, 2013, 07:34:30 AM »
sorry about post #71. Not sure how that happened. anyway, dad's question. I think to say they fear God is wrong. To admit they have no answers is the true fear. To ever admit science is only creating more questions and problems on a molecular and cellular level where evolution is concerned is the real fear. Look at the "tree of life" I can buy a branch when the roots or even the trunk can be explained as possible.

try this link for an example. some of this a bit heady and there are a few remarks I could have done without but this was still a good read.

http://www.newgeology.us/presentation32.html

OK, I have read your article though, oddly, I ma not convinced by its arguments.

The theory of evolution (ToE) developed to explain the evidence found from live animals and from those found fossilised as well as the analysis of DNA and so on. You can read about all the evidence and read about what has been found here. Now the thing is that the theory has taken into account all the evidence we have. You will be aware that fossils re presdent a tiny fraction of the animals and plants that lived as, of course, the right geology is needed for the bodies to be preserved. now, naturally, if something is found that doesn't fit the pattern of the existing evidence then, of course, there will have to be changes in the theory but that hasn't happened in the over 100 years since Darwin.

Now, the article you posted is from someone who has a bias one way - believes in a creator god - and who would like to unseat the ToE by writing alone. I don't think either you or I would be surprised to find that this isn't going to happen. A Theory of Creation (ToC) would need to consider all the evidence we have and to encompass it whilst describing what we ought to be able to find that would show that ToC was the correct answer. No one, to date, has even attempted that since each writer of articles etc. seem to think that knocking at the edge of ToE is enough to kill it. It hasn't so far.

ToC would require an additional 'person' to be involved in it - a creator. All the talk in Intelligent Design about looking to see if something might have been created always fails the final test of showing that there is an existent being who did the creating.An old book, however much it is revered, is not evidence for anything but itself. We need evidence of a creator directly and to date nothing has appeared. So we have -

EITHER

a. the very simplest of 'life forms' maybe only molecules replicate and, as chance has it change and if successful in the environment where they are carry the change on into other generations. Gradually, over millions of years complex life forms appear and we are one of them

OR

b. God did it! Yep, he created everything and that's why we are are here now.

Now, enter Occam, razor in hand. He looks at these two possibilities... He notices that the only difference between the two is an additional person, the creator... He weilds his razor and lops... The creator as unnescessary is gone. The simpler solution remains.

Oh, Harbinger, a question for you to answer -

Why did your creator make so many large animal only to kill them later? You know the dinosaurs, the mamoths etc.
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +219/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburgerâ„¢
« Reply #99 on: December 09, 2013, 08:45:29 AM »
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK7638/

BTW, obligate anaerobes get killed by oxygen, but normal anaerobes can survive it.
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline harbinger77

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #100 on: December 09, 2013, 02:01:46 PM »
harbinger,

instead of simply ignoring that your link apparently has been refuted by science and posing new questions, what you ought do is adjust your 'belief' to coincide with reality. What you are doing is trying to hang on to beliefs despite the facts. As usual, what we suggest here is go to a peer reviewed scientific source (yes, this rules out your creationist sources) and learn what the actual theory of evolution is.

Furthermore, when you decide to question evolution (which is fine) try to ask the same question of ID or creationism. What sense does it make to create a termite that cant digest its food source then to make a bacteria to assist in that action, instead of just making the termite able to digest the wood? Its one of the more dumb things I ever heard. When you start to question creationism the way that you attempt to question evolution, creationism is revealed as extremely silly. Evolution answers the questions perfectly.

that one is simple. To show us it couldn't have evolved. Neither would have survived evolution while waiting for the other. I'll give you "at least not as we understand it at this point"

all the creation speaks of the Glory of God.. it says so in my old book. (yes that's a joke... almost)
I can't help but look at those pages (human genome) and have a vague sense that this is giving me a glimpse of God's mind.
-Francis Collins lead scientist Human Genome project

Offline harbinger77

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #101 on: December 09, 2013, 02:03:22 PM »
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK7638/

BTW, obligate anaerobes get killed by oxygen, but normal anaerobes can survive it.

this one is proven to be killed by oxygen.. nice try though :)
I can't help but look at those pages (human genome) and have a vague sense that this is giving me a glimpse of God's mind.

Offline harbinger77

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #102 on: December 09, 2013, 02:10:41 PM »
ok one topic... This one is not from the paper I linked to though. The termite. A termite eats only wood. However it can't, on it's own, digest cellulose. If it can't digest it's food it dies. Inside the termite is another organism that makes an enzyme that breaks down the cellulose so the termite can digest it. This organism is also an anaerobe. If it were exposed to the oxygen outside the termite it would die. Neither one of these organisms can live without the other. my question is simple. Which evolved first?

Most likely the termites ancestors could digest cellulose but not very efficiently. Then at some point the termite's ancestors started carrying around said bacteria in their guts to be more efficient. Because they no longer needed to manufacture the enzymes  themselves, mutations that took away their own ability to manufacture them were no longer selected against. In fact, self producing said enzymes was now a drain on the termites resources and may have been selected against. At the same time the bacteria that breaks down the cellulose would have become more and more suited to living in the termites. They eventually got so good at living insode the termites that they stopped being able to live outside.

When you have trouble figuring out how an animal evolved, remember that the animals ancestors may have had organs and adaptations that their decedent does not.

I like this one. or the cockroach ate it THEN became the termite... interesting enough.

You have still started with a branch. what about the root. look into the odds of ANY DNA stand happening by chance.

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +355/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #103 on: December 09, 2013, 02:19:17 PM »
You have still started with a branch. what about the root. look into the odds of ANY DNA stand happening by chance.
My confidence that you understand anything about probability is rather low, but I've been wrong about people in the past.  Perhaps you could start with your methodology for determining what the odds are for 'ANY DNA stand happening by chance' and we can go from there.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."
- Eddie Izzard

Offline RED_ApeTHEIST

• Student
  • Darwins +16/-0
  • Hyperintelligent Orangutan
« Reply #104 on: December 09, 2013, 02:25:27 PM »

I like this one. or the cockroach ate it THEN became the termite... interesting enough.

Don't change the goal posts on me. I addressed the portion of the article that you said was troubling you. That was all my previous post set out to do. Don't act like a brief explanation of symbiosis should stand as an argument for all of evolution. The gradual development of the first DNA molecules is a completely separate area of discussion.

Before moving over there, we should reach an accord about the plausibility of the evolution of seemingly difficult things like eyes, gut symbiotes  and wings. One of these things has been demonstrated to be plausible by me here, and the others have be demonstrated elsewhere on this forum. Will you concede that evolution can be credited with the ability to produce these seemingly "irreducible" complexities, or do you need more information?
The relevant equation is: Knowledge = power = energy = matter = mass; a good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read." - Terry Pratchet

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #105 on: December 09, 2013, 06:31:30 PM »
harbinger,

that one is simple. To show us it couldn't have evolved. Neither would have survived evolution while waiting for the other. I'll give you "at least not as we understand it at this point"

all the creation speaks of the Glory of God.. it says so in my old book. (yes that's a joke... almost)
There is something about change over time that you either refuse to understand or cant understand. I suggest doing actual research.

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
  • Yahweh: Obviously not obvious.
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #106 on: December 09, 2013, 06:47:47 PM »

Ad hoc. Do you always side with your assumed 'holy' book when it conflicts with science?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 06:51:07 PM by median »
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Carl Sagan

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
  • Yahweh: Obviously not obvious.
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #107 on: December 09, 2013, 06:48:58 PM »

Have you ever heard of the Argument from Incredulity Fallacy?[1]
 1. you should look it up if not
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Carl Sagan

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #108 on: December 09, 2013, 07:03:23 PM »

He should talk to skeptic, he's a master genius in that.

;)

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Online jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +558/-17
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #109 on: December 09, 2013, 09:11:27 PM »
Since life almost certainly originated underwater, there would have been no need for a breathing pipe in the first place.  Lungs and nostrils almost certainly developed from whatever it is that aquatic organisms use to scavenge oxygen from water.  In short, there's no reason to accept your facile explanation as having any basis in fact.

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +852/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #110 on: December 09, 2013, 09:44:04 PM »
No, no, no! Breathing air is required by the holy god! Fish are not really alive-- they are just faking it. And amphibians are like bisexuals-- they need to effing make up their minds.

My god is perfect, got that? Any mistakes are in the eye of the beholder-- an eye that could not possibly have evolved, btw. Don't show me any light sensitive cells on plants that turn towards the sun, either. Plants are atheists and will burn in hell.

All non-evolved, intelligently-designed specially-created life has to breathe air, even if it means we choke and drown sometimes.  Small price to pay to show how awesome my god is! Well, maybe not so small when a child chokes or drowns, but at least they go straight to heaven. If they are Christian children, that is. Where is my anti-Darwin punch pillow?  &)
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline harbinger77

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #111 on: December 09, 2013, 09:51:21 PM »

I'm not trying to make people mad here. just calling it like I see it. That being said I have a feeling you all won't like where I take this.

Minor premise: One can't imagine (or has not imagined) how P could be so.

Major premise (unstated): If P, then one could imagine (or would have imagined) how P could be so.

Conclusion: Not-P.

As a syllogism this is valid. The fallacy lies
in the unstated major premise. If a state of
affairs is impossible to imagine, it doesn't
follow that it is false; it may only mean
that imagination is limited. Moreover, if no
one has yet managed to imagine how a state
of affairs is possible, it doesn't follow that
no one will ever be able to.

Keep reading I changed it up a bit :)

Minor premise: One can't imagine (or has not imagined) how God could be so.

Major premise (unstated): If God, then one could imagine (or would have imagined) how God could be so. (or at least how to prove one way or the other)

Conclusion: Not- God

in the unstated major premise. If a person lacks FAITH in a state of affairs, it doesn't
that FAITH is limited. (or absent) Moreover, if no
one has yet managed THE FAITH TO SEE how a state

This is a perfect statement. It can go both ways and clearly demonstrates how it takes faith (here referred to as imagination) to be both an atheist as well as an evolutionist.

Your faith is in science. Mine is in God. I have personal evidence to build a faith in God. You choose to imagine anything but God. This is where we differ. Don't get into this part though. Rather admit, short of introducing you personally to my friend God, you would reject whatever I offer. For some of you a personal introduction would still not be enough.

Offline harbinger77

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #112 on: December 09, 2013, 09:58:30 PM »
No, no, no! Breathing air is required by the holy god! Fish are not really alive-- they are just faking it. And amphibians are like bisexuals-- they need to effing make up their minds.

My god is perfect, got that? Any mistakes are in the eye of the beholder-- an eye that could not possibly have evolved, btw. Don't show me any light sensitive cells on plants that turn towards the sun, either. Plants are atheists and will burn in hell.

All non-evolved, intelligently-designed specially-created life has to breathe air, even if it means we choke and drown sometimes.  Small price to pay to show how awesome my god is! Well, maybe not so small when a child chokes or drowns, but at least they go straight to heaven. If they are Christian children, that is. Where is my anti-Darwin punch pillow?  &)
WOW... and I'm the bigot?
What may I ask is the point of this tantrum as it offered nothing to the conversation.

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +31/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
« Reply #113 on: December 09, 2013, 10:09:28 PM »

I'm not trying to make people mad here. just calling it like I see it. That being said I have a feeling you all won't like where I take this.

Major premise (unstated): If P, then one could imagine (or would have imagined) how P could be so.

Major premise (unstated): If God, then one could imagine (or would have imagined) how God could be so. (or at least how to prove one way or the other)

in the unstated major premise. If a person lacks FAITH in a state of affairs, it doesn't

This is a perfect statement. It can go both ways and clearly demonstrates how it takes faith (here referred to as imagination) to be both an atheist as well as an evolutionist.

Your faith is in science. Mine is in God. I have personal evidence to build a faith in God. You choose to imagine anything but God. This is where we differ. Don't get into this part though. Rather admit, short of introducing you personally to my friend God, you would reject whatever I offer. For some of you a personal introduction would still not be enough.
If you can't dazzle with brilliance then baffle with bullshit.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Offline Antidote

• Graduate
  • Darwins +19/-6
  • >.>
« Reply #114 on: December 09, 2013, 10:10:39 PM »

WOW... and I'm the bigot?
What may I ask is the point of this tantrum as it offered nothing to the conversation.

Not really a tantrum, just a sarcastic tirade to demonstrate the absurdity of your claims.

---

Offline harbinger77

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #115 on: December 09, 2013, 10:13:28 PM »

If you can't dazzle with brilliance then baffle with bullshit.

say what you will. It fits. :)