Author Topic: No no no no  (Read 869 times)

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
No no no no
« on: August 23, 2013, 12:47:55 AM »
From the Hollywood Reporter:

Warner Bros.' untitled superhero pic is slated to hit theaters on July 17, 2015.

Ben Affleck will join Henry Cavill in Warner Bros.' Man of Steel sequel, the studio announced on Thursday.
The project was announced at Comic-Con earlier this year, prompting much speculation surrounding who would play the Caped Crusader. Zack Snyder is back in the director's chair for the project, which places Batman and Superman together on the big screen for the first time.

The film is slated to open worldwide on July 17, 2015.
The announcement comes a decade after Affleck's largely disappointing Daredevil, the 20th Century Fox pic based on the Marvel character. Released in 2003, the film grossed $180 million worldwide on a budget of about $80 million.
In 2006, Affleck played George Reeves -- who starred in the 1950s TV series Adventures of Superman -- in Hollywoodland.

Man of Steel has earned more than $650 million worldwide to date.

"We knew we needed an extraordinary actor to take on one of DC Comics' most enduringly popular superheroes, and Ben Affleck certainly fits that bill, and then some. His outstanding career is a testament to his talent, and we know he and Zack will bring new dimension to the duality of this character," said Greg Silverman, Warner Bros.' president of creative development and worldwide production.

Batman Through the Years: Christian Bale, George Clooney and Others Who've Played the Dark Knight
Added Snyder: "Ben provides an interesting counterbalance to Henry's Superman. He has the acting chops to create a layered portrayal of a man who is older and wiser than Clark Kent and bears the scars of a seasoned crime fighter, but retain the charm that the world sees in billionaire Bruce Wayne. I can’t wait to work with him."
The move furthers Affleck's relationship with Warner Bros. after last year's Academy Award-winning Argo, as well as his next directing vehicle, the upcoming crime drama Live by Night.

Said Sue Kroll, president of worldwide marketing and international distribution for Warner Bros. Pictures: "We are so thrilled that Ben is continuing Warner Bros.' remarkable legacy with the character of Batman.  He is a tremendously gifted actor who will make this role his own in this already much-anticipated pairing of these two beloved heroes."
The as-yet-untitled superhero film is being scripted by David S. Goyer from a story he co-created with Snyder. Charles Roven and Deborah Snyder are producing, with Benjamin Melniker, Michael E. Uslan and Wesley Coller serving as executive producers. Production is expected to begin in 2014.

Don't get me wrong: I think he's a good actor in certain roles but hasn't he shown he can't pull of super heroes. And he didn't actually play Superman, he played an actor playing Superman--not the same thing.

I don't think he'll pull it off.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +132/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
Re: No no no no
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 07:37:01 AM »
I can't wrap my head around it.  He's not "dark" enough. 
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +93/-1
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 10:04:09 AM »
Hmm...from the point of view of never having been a comic/superhero fan at all, and having come only recently to sort of like Ben Affleck in his own right after having felt for some time that he was somewhat riding on Matt Damon's coattails, and Hollywood initially trying more to "make him happen" because he was the more conventionally handsome of the two, I could actually sort of see this working.

Probably not for the hard-core comic fan, but there's a certain "fit" there to my mind. And if the movie is well made, it could potentially do every bit as well among those who might be interested in another take on a familiar character as it would by catering strictly to the comic aficionado. I think there are more of the former among the ranks of movie-goers out there anyway.

That being said, I don't watch many movies at all, and those I do enjoy are overwhelmingly those in which the screenplay is the selling point rather than anything in the way of action/special effects and such. So the conventional Superman movie probably wouldn't appeal to me to begin with. Who knows but that a more introspective take on a slightly older Superman might not fit the bill?

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 10:12:27 AM »
If you saw him in Daredevil, you'd be picketing the studio (figuratively speaking). I like some of his acting roles but this...? No.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +135/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 10:24:27 AM »
I think Affleck can pull off a decent batman if he only has one line in this movie- his jaw line. *ba-dum tss* Really though, he does have that Bruce Wayne cleft chin. Can't say I'm not disappointed they won't be casting an unknown. Big stars tend to take me out of the superhero flicks more so than other types of movies.
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 10:52:18 AM »
I think Christian Bale was a great Batman. Him and Michael Keaton were probably the only good ones.

-Nam

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +707/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 11:04:35 AM »
Superman vs Gigli.

Ben Affleck it a talentless turd who rode Matt Damon's coattails to fame and fortune.  He could not even act unconscious if he was roofied.  He should be banished from film forever.  I'd prefer they got an aged and overweight Val Kilmer back in the role before Ben Affleck.

This really cheeses me off because the only time superman is remotely interesting is when he's juxtaposed by Batman.  This could have been cool.  Now, it will suck donkeys.  Many, many donekys. 

This is a goddamn affront to the tradition of Batman.  What a disaster.  An unmitigated, goddamn disaster.

I'm Batman...?

« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 11:10:48 AM by screwtape »
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 11:06:33 AM »
So, Val Kilmer will no longer be the worst?

;)

-Nam

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +817/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 11:15:50 AM »
May all of life's crises be this minor.

Except to screwtape. Who needs the drama  ;D
Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +135/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 11:19:35 AM »
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +707/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2013, 11:29:08 AM »
jesus christ.  Even Wesley Crusher knows what a terrible move this is.

'Really looking forward to seeing Affleck bring the depth and gravitas to Batman that he brought to Daredevil and Gigli,' wrote Will Wheaton

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2400713/Ben-Affleck-confirmed-play-Batman-Man-Of-Steel-sequel--fans-split-surprise-choice.html

comments are great:

Why not cast Jonah Hill as Robin to complete the farce?

He was so great in the Daredevil he should be in another super hereo movie. Said no one ever.

Move over George Clooney, there is a new 'worst Batman'.

Wow ..the first wooden batman

Fans are not "split".. they universally know this is A Bad Idea

edit:
Not all fans were thrilled with the casting. The Twitter hashtag #BetterBatmanThanBenAffleck began trending Thursday night after the announcement was made. Wisecracking fans suggested Dame Judi Dench, Norman Reedus from "The Walking Dead," and the leg lamp from "A Christmas Story" could all do a better job with the role of the Caped Crusader.
http://www.nbcnews.com/entertainment/holy-casting-news-ben-affleck-play-batman-man-steel-sequel-6C10984418

« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 11:35:59 AM by screwtape »
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +132/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2013, 02:01:06 PM »
He should stick to just writing, producing, and directing. He's got nominated twice for an Academy Award, and won both times--neither were for his acting skills.

-Nam

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +434/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2013, 02:24:32 PM »

;)

-Nam
It would take substantial skill to be a worse Batman than Kilmer.  I'd give Affleck accolades for turning in a worse performance.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2013, 04:32:17 PM »

;)

-Nam
It would take substantial skill to be a worse Batman than Kilmer.  I'd give Affleck accolades for turning in a worse performance.

If he acts like he did in Daredevil, he will.

-Nam

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +817/-6
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2013, 09:53:41 AM »
Nam

You'll appreciate this page of tweets on the subject. Apparently you're not alone...

http://io9.com/i-think-my-tweet-deserves-to-be-on-this-list-whoa-wh-1188679702

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2013, 11:15:28 AM »
Nam

You'll appreciate this page of tweets on the subject. Apparently you're not alone...

http://io9.com/i-think-my-tweet-deserves-to-be-on-this-list-whoa-wh-1188679702

It's not his fault. He's unjustly being dumped on, I realize. We should be dumping on Christian Bale for not renewing his role to prevent such a travesty.

-Nam

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +817/-6
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2013, 11:24:05 AM »
If they aren't going to pick you Nam, they are doomed to fail anyway. My problem is that I'm so old that I remember Batman on TV, and there is no way to top such fine production values and wonderful acting. It is hard to top perfection.

For those too young to remember such wonderful entertainment, I offer you this, a series of examples from various shows. Note the variety and the freshness in every scene. No two are alike! Well, not exactly alike.

So now you understand...

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +707/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2013, 03:51:20 PM »
My problem is that I'm so old that I remember Batman on TV,

I used to catch this on reruns on cable.  Frankly, I'd prefer they cast Adam West.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +300/-32
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2013, 05:26:05 PM »
I would pay to see Adam West in a serious Batman role, without hesitation.
I have not encountered any mechanical malfunctioning in my spirit.  It works every single time I need it to.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +707/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2013, 09:51:17 AM »
My main go-to guy for Worst Living Actor is Keanu Reeves[1]
So this presents an interesting theoretical question.  whom would be the worse batman, keanu or ben affliction?

I say, keanu.  Discuss.
 1. as chronicled in this thread:
http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,5438.msg121483.html#msg121483
You should read it.  I'm awesome in it.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +103/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2013, 10:07:20 AM »
My main go-to guy for Worst Living Actor is Keanu Reeves[1]
So this presents an interesting theoretical question.  whom would be the worse batman, keanu or ben affliction?

I say, keanu.  Discuss.
 1. as chronicled in this thread:
http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,5438.msg121483.html#msg121483
You should read it.  I'm awesome in it.

Where affleck does have some acting ability (I love him in the kevin smith films) keanu has the acting ability of a lump of wood.

However...the new portrails of the dark night have him as brooding (as per keanu in constantine) mentally disturbed (as per keanu in dracula) with bouts of elation (as per keanu in bill & ted) and ultimately kick ass with a bunch of tech (as per keanu in any given matrix)...

See keanu has the form for a batman

If that's not enough...did you see daredevil?

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2013, 11:21:13 AM »
Keanu Reeves was all wrong for Dangerous Liaisons. He sounded like a surfer in that role. But I have liked him in other films. Just not period films.

He'd be worse of a Batman than Ben Affleck.

"Hey, dude. I'm, like you know, Batman."

No.

-Nam

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +707/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2013, 02:28:04 PM »
I see where you're going, Mrjason, and it is a respectable argument.  The one hole in it is Keanu absolutely sucked in all the roles you mentioned.  He's fine playing dudes, but that's it.

He sounded like a surfer in that role. ..."Hey, dude. I'm, like you know, Batman."

No.

this.  Batman does not hang ten. 

Of course, neither does he have a Southie accent.
"Rawbin, get the Batcaah. The Jokahs baack in Gawtham and we gotta go kick his ass."
Maybe if Batman was going after Whitie Bulger...

This question is unsolvable. Neither should play Batman.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +434/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2013, 02:44:36 PM »
Adam West would disagree:
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2013, 03:24:28 PM »
I see where you're going, Mrjason, and it is a respectable argument.  The one hole in it is Keanu absolutely sucked in all the roles you mentioned.  He's fine playing dudes, but that's it.

He sounded like a surfer in that role. ..."Hey, dude. I'm, like you know, Batman."

No.

Of course, neither does he have a Southie accent.
"Rawbin, get the Batcaah. The Jokahs baack in Gawtham and we gotta go kick his ass."
Maybe if Batman was going after Whitie Bulger...

This question is unsolvable. Neither should play Batman.

Remember when Stallone wanted to play Edgar Allan Poe? I thought he just wanted to write/direct but he also wanted to play the part. I was like "Hell no!".

-Nam

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +707/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2013, 10:48:21 PM »
predictably, Matt Damon kissed Benifer's hiney.

http://mashable.com/2013/08/28/matt-damon-ben-affleck-batman/
I think it will be great. It will be terrific. I know there are a lot of people grousing on the internet. I just think it's kind of funny. You know, he's not playing King Lear. It's Batman! Certainly within his skill set.

If anybody saw Argo or The Town, and all the work he's been doing lately, it's way more nuanced and interesting and way more difficult than Batman! Batman just sits there with his cowl over his head and whispers in a kinda gruff voice at people. Bruce Wayne is the more challenging part of the role, and Ben will be great at that.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2013, 12:08:41 AM »
(Cough) (cough) (bullshit) (cough)

-Nam