Author Topic: Luck of the draw  (Read 641 times)

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
Luck of the draw
« on: August 22, 2013, 05:09:31 PM »
How many of you who were religious at one time or still are...belong to a branch of religion that your parents do/did or in laws do/did?  I would guess it would be like 90% or higher.  Strange how we all found the "true" faith that way.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
Re: Luck of the draw
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 05:12:09 PM »
My parents were non-religious, and both my brother and I are as well.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline eartheconomyspirit

• Graduate
  • Darwins +2/-15
  • WWGHA Member
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 05:26:55 PM »
What happens is when your parents faced the reality of mortality, the friends and relatives of their generation actually died, they seek meaning. Unfortunately the largest groups offering to sort this question out are the faith based traditions. That's just the way it is. They find their Go(o)d or meaning through faith and the authentic wisdoms that permeate these texts. What happens actually though is they just start being better people and that gives them affirmation. Rather than acknowledge their own efforts they pass the thanks back to the religion and faith grows.

Another unfortunate reality, is that those traditions have been abused for 1000's of years by power. They include a measure of rubbish that can only be resolved by faith. When you grant the story teller your faith he also gets the gift of power. Not Go(o)d in the long run. Over time the story tellers change and can take personal advantage of the power gifted by faith.

So when you realize you're not here forever, assuming you don't already have Plato's wisdom, seek comfort and answers in meditation, not MAGIc, I'd say.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 05:46:01 PM by eartheconomyspirit »

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 05:40:05 PM »
I practiced the religion I grew up in... baptist
Had a few forays into other protestant denominations, but was generally a baptist like the folks.

No more, thank thor
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +75/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 08:51:53 PM »
Religion didn't play an important part in either of my parents background, nor did they place a great emphasis on it while raising my sister and I. For a few years we all attended Quaker meetings; we kids did crafts while the adults talked quietly among themselves. Aside from being read some Bible stories, it was pretty low-key.

Both my sister and I flirted with rather fundie flavors of Christianity later on; her in high school and I in my early 30s. Her involvement lasted a year at the most; mine for almost 15. These days she's more a Bhuddist than anything else; she meditates regularly and goes on retreats with like-minded people once or twice a year. And I've been an atheist for going on seven years now.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +48/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 09:49:39 PM »
When I first entered the military and was having my 'dog tags' made, I was asked what religion I wanted put on them. When new to the military, you're not given much time to ponder direct questions put to you by superiors.  I blurted "Presbyterian" since that's what my mom was, although she wasn't religious about it.  I don't think I knew what an atheist was back then, and if I did, I doubt I'd have had the cojones to mention it.

There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +125/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 10:39:19 AM »
How many of you who were religious at one time or still are...belong to a branch of religion that your parents do/did or in laws do/did?  I would guess it would be like 90% or higher.  Strange how we all found the "true" faith that way.

My mother was born and raised a Catholic. She married my father who attended a Baptist church. They stopped attending the Baptist church by the time I was 4 and they never went to a regular church service ever again (42+ years). I only went to church services when my classmates urged me to (which was not often) and I felt like obliging them (even less), but there was a brief period in time in college that I attended about a month of services.

I never heard my father utter the words religion or god, and he never spoke about either in any way whatsoever. I can only assume he had attended church as an expected social function.

My mother would talk about religion and god on occasion, and she always said she valued her time in the Catholic church. She regularly donated to charities, especially one Catholic charity, which I think was the Sisters of Something in Cincinnati or Cleveland. She always repeated John 14:2 "In my Father's house are many mansions" but I think she occasionally corrupted it and said "heaven is a mansion with many rooms". She was mostly live-and-let-live. The only negative word I heard her say toward any religion was Jehovah's Witness because of their rejection of blood/blood products. She witnessed some members of the Jehovah's Witness church die for that very rejection. She thought that was stupid but decided that as adults they can make their own choices.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +732/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 11:06:14 AM »
My parents were not particularly religious, but we kids went to the closest little church for three or four years, until we moved to a new neighborhood far enough away that we couldn't walk to said church. That ended my religious years.

My father was raised in a 7th Day Adventist house, except not really, because they ate meat and stuff. And he hated that religion because his father was one mean SOB, and the kids blamed his intense love of Jesus, which he felt he had to yell into others. So my dad wasn't about to follow those footsteps.

I know my mother attended church as a child, but I've no idea what denomination it was. She didn't continue once leaving home.

So religion in my family was more or less casual, though they made us go to church for awhile. They ended up with three atheist sons, so they did something right. All three of us got their in different ways. We just reached the same conclusion, eventually.

Oh yea, one brother did attend church during high school, because he had a Baptist girlfriend. But since they weren't supposed to dance and she loved dancing, she didn't stay religious, and by the time they married, religion was gone from their lives.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 11:47:35 AM »
My parents are non-denominational Christians and that's what I was during my religious days.  I knew of other denominations but never really studied what they believed, most of what I knew came from friends in school who attended them.  I got a lock of flack from adults in my church when I went to a friend's Baptist church camp. 
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 12:07:25 PM »
My parents grew up Baptist (mother Southern Baptist) and, they've never stated it's the One True Religion™.

If they did, I wonder if all their children would currently be atheists, as they are today?

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Just Another Opinion

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2013, 04:21:58 PM »
Religion - From Webster Website
1.  a : the state of a religious <a nun in her 20th year of religion>
     b (1) : the service and worship of God or the supernatural (2) : commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance
2.  a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices
3.  archaic : scrupulous conformity : conscientiousness
4.  a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith

Religion is a very interesting word.  Religion has taken the things you should be doing (verbs - loving) and made a list of rules (nouns - all the things you should do to be loving) out of them.  This in and of itself is incorrect with most spiritual teachings that I know of.  I grew up in the church and have been on both sides of the fence(theist/atheist), from christian schools to jail time(drug use ect.).  What I have learned is the only person who can decide what you believe is you.  I think religion was originally intended to bring like minded individuals together to discuss their opinions and thoughts in order to help themselves come to terms with how they perceive the universe and God, or lack there of (Kind of like this website).  I don't claim to belong to a religion, however I do believe in God and the Trinity nature of God (It's the only way love could exist-The Shack gives a great rendition of this).

That being said the author of this thread makes a very valid point of nurture v.s. nature.  Until someone decides they need to know for themselves (usually prompted by pain - Nature) they will more than likely believe what they were raised to believe(Nurture).  The same way that the place where you grew up will always be home, even if you don't live there anymore.  The other interesting point made in this thread was one that has been made by many Cultural Anthropologists, and that is that religion is the direct result of the overwhelming fear of death.  A theory I used to give a lot more credence to, and no I can't give you anything but theory and speculation as to why I changed what I believe(besides my personal experiences but after reading through many of these threads I realize that isn't considered concrete evidence).  Yet theory and speculation are important because these are the realms we are dabbling in.
"A moderated religion is as good for us as no religion at all - and more amusing."  --Screwtape--