Author Topic: Rate the Last Film You Saw  (Read 1237 times)

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +312/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Rate the Last Film You Saw
« Reply #116 on: September 28, 2014, 03:13:42 AM »
Sheng xiao chuan qi (Zodiac: The Race Begins) (2006) -- 1/10.

This is Singapore's first animated film, and this is the first animated film I've rated 1/10.

You're literally bored within the first 5 minutes. They have two different types of animation: the CGI, I think, is made solely to make the animals look as life-like as possible but it fails -- it's too much detail. One would think that, perhaps, would not be possible but watch it, you'll most likely agree.

I don't know the original voice talent, I watched a dubbed version but if it's anything like the american version -- your ears will bleed. Of course in the american dubbed version, Tom Arnold stars.

Think of every cliché you've seen in a movie -- they fit them all in this film. All of them.

The second animation is basically paper cutouts; heavenly creatures play that animation.

It was awful. It's 90 minutes, I basically tuned out 30 minutes in.

Oh, did I mention it's also a musical, and if you truly want your ears to bleed, well, those songs are what you're going to want to listen to.

Minus the musical numbers the composition is pretty good but it doesn't enhance the experience of everything else. It's sort of sad.

I've seen hundreds of animated films, this is the first 1/10 (I looked).

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +866/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #117 on: September 28, 2014, 01:22:43 PM »
Worse than The Brave Little Toaster? Impossible! The only cartoon I have ever watched that made me want to buy a gun. 1/10 stars.

The appliances wander around looking for their MASTER--yes, they are freed slaves who are lost, with no meaning to their lives. Gave me the creeps. Of course, the toddler-aged kid liked it so we had to sit through the horror more than once. It had one redeeming facet--Jon Lovitz as the sarcastic AM radio made it almost tolerable. He was like a toned-down Robin Williams.

There was one other truly awful kid's cartoon, some space war thing that I can't remember the name of. Had music. Had some big name voice talent. Was terrible. I don't think I made it through to the end.

At least bad animated cartoons probably don't waste as many resources as bad live action movies....

Then there was Japanese film, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time --I thought it was marvelous. What animation should be. 8/10
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0808506/?ref_=nv_sr_1
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +312/-84
« Reply #118 on: September 28, 2014, 02:22:13 PM »
Worse than The Brave Little Toaster? Impossible! The only cartoon I have ever watched that made me want to buy a gun. 1/10 stars.

Find it, watch it, and you'll apologize to me.

Then there was Japanese film, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time --I thought it was marvelous. What animation should be. 8/10
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0808506/?ref_=nv_sr_1

I usually don't care for Japanese cartoons.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +866/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #119 on: September 28, 2014, 02:57:54 PM »
I usually don't care for cartoons at all, in general.

Even as a kid I did not like Bugs Bunny, Tom and Jerry, Road Runner et al. All that hitting and chasing for no reason. Plot? Hello?  I liked cartoons with a story line: like Scooby Doo, Johnny Quest and the Flintstones, and that was about it.[1]

So I was pleasantly surprised by the Girl who leapt through time. I went and saw it at the artsy movie theater. I even got my college to show it during a cultural festival.

You would have to pay me to watch Little Toaster again.  :P
 1. Maybe it was a psychological defense mechanism for me to dislike classic cartoons, since we could not watch them most weekend mornings anyway. We were always busy with JW house to housing. Instead of forbidden fruit, cartoons became sour grapes? But my brother loved them, watches Saturday morning cartoons to this day.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +662/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #120 on: September 29, 2014, 11:08:58 AM »
August: Osage County
7/10
An academy award nominee from a year ago.  About a messed-up family in Oklahoma who gets together when the patriarch disappears.  It is a hard movie showing how everyone is touched by cruelty, emotional pain and violence, even a generation removed.  Very good performances all around.  Good script. Generally well done, but kind of predictable in a few places.   
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +312/-84
« Reply #121 on: September 29, 2014, 01:55:01 PM »
The Disappearance of Alice Creed (2009) -- 8/10

A three member cast (usually doesn't work out well) set up quite nicely. Kidnapping, sex, abuse, violence, even love all mixed together. Very good flick.

-Nam

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +312/-84
« Reply #122 on: September 29, 2014, 09:25:22 PM »
Okay...I just saw an animated movie worse than "Sheng xiao chuan qi (Zodiac: The Race Begins)", and sadly this is an American film (if "film" is what you want to call it).

Life's a Jungle: Africa's Most Wanted (2012) -- 1/10. (if I could rate it lower, I would).

It's about a dog who wears a yuppie sweater, walks on two legs, and is treated more human than its owner (a liitle boy who is treated like a dog by the dog).  The animation is poor but doesn't bother me. What does bother me is the characters move slowly, speak and respond slowly. Most of the original music is what you'd hear from a 1980's video game, the rest of the music is Classical music -- which is the only thing redeeming about the film.

I think it was attempting to be a watered-down version of "Madagascar 2: Escape to Africa" because like that film, this film is set in Africa.

The worst thing is the sound effects. You know the sound effects they use on the radio? That's what they use in this film.

I rarely give films 1/10 but 2 in a few days? See, I bought an 8 film animated collection for $5. I go on the premise that at least one will be good and worth the $5. So far I've watched 6, and the only one I really liked is a film called "Rock Stars". Worms who disco; it was funny.

Just two more to go.

-Nam

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +312/-84
« Reply #123 on: September 29, 2014, 11:12:52 PM »
Just watched the last of the 8. I wrote a review (just now, be posted 1-2 days) at imdb.com. it's a South Korean film called:

My Friend Bernard (2012)[1]

Here's my review:

The animation is good. The story revolves around a young boy who is probably 3 or 4 years old, his name is Sam and he's afraid of everything. However, the main focus of the film is on Bernard the polar bear, and two penguins (Eva and Lloyd).

I think the main problem people have with this film (based on the review here and elsewhere i've read) is that it's narrated but I thought it was okay. It reminded me of children sitting around at storytime listening contently at the reader telling them an educational story, or perhaps a fairytale. This film is a mixture of those two elements.

It's educational in that it teaches young children that you don't need to be afraid of what you do not know. It's okay to explore your feelings, and perhaps seek assistance from someone (like a parent, or friend) if they need to. It's also a fairytale because it has sort of a dreamlike state to it, magic, etc., that allows the story to be told in a nice way.

There's some funny moments throughout such as the way Bernard fishes by flatulence. The penguins and their (what seems to me) accidental antics, or curious ones; and when Sam appears infrequently, he's always scared of the most minuscule of things, at times. There's also a lizard in this...I forget his name. Zack, I think. Also, an old man dressed as Santa Claus (could be Santa Claus, not quite sure). A dog with a giant teacup that can take you places, and fish who are sly like a fox.

Oh! and a dragon! Who doesn't love a dragon?

I thought it was a fun film. It may run on a bit long but it was all worthwhile, I feel, in the end.

7/10

-Nam

-Nam
 1. actually 2009 according to the credits

Offline SamK

• Freshman
  • Darwins +4/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #124 on: September 29, 2014, 11:58:50 PM »
The Film "Snowpiercer", starring Chris Evans ( from Captain America). This is the first English movie made by the well known Korean director "Boon Jong-Ho". His other film "The Host" was very popular few years ago.

I have so many post apocalyptic movies, but this one really stands out. The move is so well-acted and the story is so interesting, you can hardly keep away for a second.

I strongly recommend it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1706620/

Online eh!

• Reader
  • Darwins +51/-30
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #125 on: Yesterday at 05:17:08 AM »
I give this 9/10, I think from 1998, I don't get out much. def not a Hollywood movie, like to see what US folks would rate it, I am guessing this would not appeal to American movie goers sensibilities for lack of big action and special effects.

hope someone will / has seen it will give thoughts.

a bit hard to watch.
Signature goes here...

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +90/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #126 on: Yesterday at 08:07:54 AM »
Death Proof 2007 4/10

Not one of quentin's best. Was expecting more. However hot girls, dodges and references to Pulp fiction make it tolerable. Kurt Russell's charachter was a real let down.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +312/-84
« Reply #127 on: Yesterday at 11:51:01 AM »
I give this 9/10, I think from 1998, I don't get out much. def not a Hollywood movie, like to see what US folks would rate it, I am guessing this would not appeal to American movie goers sensibilities for lack of big action and special effects.

a bit hard to watch.

You give what, 9/10?

-Nam

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +312/-84
« Reply #128 on: Yesterday at 11:54:11 AM »
Death Proof 2007 4/10

Not one of quentin's best. Was expecting more. However hot girls, dodges and references to Pulp fiction make it tolerable. Kurt Russell's charachter was a real let down.

I gave that film 7/0. It was average for Tarantino. Planet Terror was much better (though by Robert Rodriguez but part of the series).

-Nam

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +360/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #129 on: Yesterday at 12:03:33 PM »

a bit hard to watch.

You give what, 9/10?

My guess - it's a new Godard film that artistically rejects the use of a title or subject matter.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."
- Eddie Izzard

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +312/-84
« Reply #130 on: Yesterday at 12:04:27 PM »

a bit hard to watch.

You give what, 9/10?

My guess - it's a new Godard film that artistically rejects the use of a title or subject matter.

Sounds art house.

-Nam

Online eh!

• Reader
  • Darwins +51/-30
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
« Reply #131 on: Yesterday at 04:16:23 PM »
my bad;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boys_(1998_film)

another one I rate highly that is not Hollywood style, ie hardly any action and lacks gratuitous violence but still builds tension is;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_Kingdom_(film)

both oz crime, semi-realistsic, in fact to real. the tension in both is suffocating imo, prolly too slow for most of the google instant gratification, have it spelt out for you  generation.

Signature goes here...