Author Topic: Ted Cruz Already Lying  (Read 97 times)

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +438/-107
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
Ted Cruz Already Lying
« on: April 21, 2015, 02:38:16 AM »
http://www.politico.com/story/2015/04/john-mccain-mocks-ted-cruz-claim-on-guns-117165.html

Running for president in New Hampshire over the weekend, Sen. Ted Cruz told a group of gun owners he’s “pressing” Sen. John McCain to convene hearings on whether soldiers should be allowed to carry concealed guns on military bases.

McCain (R-Ariz.) says the request is news to him.

“I was fascinated to hear that because I haven’t heard a thing about it from him. Nor has my staff heard from his staff,” McCain said of Cruz (R-Texas). “It came as a complete surprise to me that he had been pressing me. Maybe it was some medium that I’m not familiar with.”

Cruz told a crowd of gun owners in Litchfield, New Hampshire, that he was leaning on McCain, the Armed Services Committee chairman, to have “a public discussion about why we’re denying our soldiers the ability to exercise their Second Amendment rights.”

Asked about the status of those hearings, McCain went to great lengths to ridicule Cruz for suggesting the two had discussed the issue. He joked that perhaps Cruz was bouncing messages off the “ozone layer.”

“Maybe it was through, you know, hand telegraph. Maybe sign language,” McCain said. “Ask him how he communicated with me because I’d be very interested. Because who knows what I’m missing.”

Cruz’s aides did not immediately respond to McCain’s comments.

There’s little love lost between the two, given that McCain has denounced Cruz as one of the Senate’s “wacko birds” and Cruz has suggested that McCain lost the presidential race in 2008 because he wasn’t conservative enough. While Cruz pursues the Republican nomination along with Sens. Rand Paul of Kentucky and Marco Rubio of Florida, McCain is encouraging his friend, Sen. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, to run for the White House.

The two disagree on guns as well. While Cruz led the charge to defeat a background-checks bill in 2013, McCain voted for that bipartisan proposal that failed by a 54-46 vote. In New Hampshire, Cruz said he was eager to discuss the possibility of allowing soldiers to arm themselves on military installations to better protect themselves, something top military brass advise against.

On Monday, McCain didn’t rule out such hearings — he just seemed surprised that Cruz had gone public with a conversation that McCain says never happened.

“I’ll be glad to discuss the issue and see if we need hearings,” McCain said.

Yeah, that's all we need: every person with a gun on hand everywhere in the US. This isn't the Old West. I know this is about military personnel but that's what people like Cruz advocates for: everyone having a gun because that will make us safer...

....in La La Land.

-Nam
Things I've said here:

I only have a filter for people who do not consistently beg to be belittled, ridiculed, insulted, and demeaned.

I may believe people, as a whole, should be treated fairly but I also believe those same people are idiots.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +229/-8
Re: Ted Cruz Already Lying
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 05:55:48 AM »
As nutty as this country is about guns I am surprised it is that way on military bases.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +209/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 06:52:28 AM »
If I had to guess, I would say that the military does not allow concealed handguns because they know it is safer without them. After all, the military is all about guns, guns, and more guns. If we were to grant that they might actually know more about guns than the general public, and are the best trained as a population, we could easily agree that military leaders are much smarter about concealed weapons than the rest of the gunthusiasts that litter our country with their brilliance.

Online Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +81/-25
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 11:34:25 PM »
Have military personnel living on post always been banned from carrying personal weapons? 
The wars in Iraq and Afghanistan would not have been possible without support from the democrats.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +438/-107
Things I've said here:

I only have a filter for people who do not consistently beg to be belittled, ridiculed, insulted, and demeaned.

I may believe people, as a whole, should be treated fairly but I also believe those same people are idiots.

Online Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +81/-25
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 12:01:54 AM »
Well, okay. Has it always been that way in America?
The wars in Iraq and Afghanistan would not have been possible without support from the democrats.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +438/-107
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 12:25:29 AM »
I have no idea. Can't you research it yourself?

-Nam
Things I've said here:

Online Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +81/-25
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 04:21:59 PM »
I tried for a little while last night but the shit was getting deep, it was getting late and my internet connection is about as quick as maple syrup...so I gave up.

Some say Clinton banned[1] personal firearms from military bases. Some say it was Bush jr. Some say it all started with Carter. A couple of sources claim it is simply from the Pentagon and Army regulations. I couldn't find anything definitive. So I asked you and this forum.
 1. Technically not banned but highly restricted with lots and lots of rules
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 04:24:03 PM by Mr. Blackwell »

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +438/-107
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 04:36:40 PM »

Home > Politics > Clinton > Alarming Disarming

Claim:   President Bill Clinton issued an executive order disarming soldiers on military bases.

FALSE

Example:[Collected via e-mail, August 2010]

Is it true that "one of the first things Bill Clinton did in office was to issue an executive order disarming soldiers on military bases"?

Origins:   The wake of the September 2013 fatal shooting of 12 people by a civilian military contractor who went on a rampage at Washington Navy Yard saw the recirculation of a rumor that gained currency after the November 2009 fatal shooting of 13 people by a U.S. Army psychiatrist at Fort Hood, Texas: that one of the reasons these mass shooters had not been stopped earlier in their killing sprees was because President Bill Clinton had issued an executive order back in 1993 that prohibited personnel on military bases from carrying firearms while on duty.

While there was at least a small kernel of real information underlying such claims, the gist of the rumor was wrong on two major counts.

A change in U.S. Army regulations issued in March 1993 (just two months after President Clinton assumed office) did affect the issue of personnel carrying firearms on military bases, but that change in regulations was issued by the Department of the Army and was not implemented by President Clinton via an executive order. Moreover, that change in regulations came about in response to a U.S. Department of Defense directive issued in February 1992, during the presidency of George H.W. Bush, and not at the sole behest of President Clinton.

Additionally, that change in regulations (which applied only to the Army, not other branches of the U.S. armed forces) did not ban the carrying of weapons by soldiers on Army bases; it restricted the authorization to carry firearms to personnel engaged in law enforcement and security duties, and to personnel stationed at facilities where there was "a reasonable expectation that life or Army assets would be jeopardized if firearms were not carried":
a. The authorization to carry firearms will be issued only to qualified personnel when there is a reasonable expectation that life or Department of the Army (DA) assets will be jeopardized if firearms are not carried. Evaluation of the necessity to carry a firearm will be made considering this expectation weighed against the possible consequences of accidental or indiscriminate use of firearms.

b. DA personnel regularly engaged in law enforcement or security duties will be armed.

c. DA personnel are authorized to carry firearms while engaged in security duties, protecting personnel and vital Government assets, or guarding prisoners.

Urban Legends Reference Pages © 1995-2015 by snopes.com.
This material may not be reproduced without permission.
snopes and the snopes.com logo are registered service marks of snopes.com.

-Nam
Things I've said here:

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +1122/-8
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2015, 05:36:17 PM »
The real Old West was not the old west as portrayed in the movies. People were not allowed to wander through town with a six-gun strapped to their leg. Shootouts were very rare. Sheriffs generally required people to check any weapons with them upon arrival and then to pick them up on their way out of town.[1]

The modern west is much more like the movie old west than the real Old West ever was.

Damn I wish people would learn some actual history instead of (or at least in addition to) watching John Wayne movies.
 1. And nobody ever rode a galloping horse while firing a shotgun at someone. My crazy native grandfather always laughed when people did that in movies. Anyone ever try that? Hit anything other than your own bouncing leg?
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +438/-107
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 06:10:48 PM »
Not just John Wayne movies. ;) Hell, I saw a western that had Doc Holliday killing Billy the Kid. It was hilarious. Oh, and Native Americans are always savages and white people stealing their lands are always the hero except in a few John Ford films.

-Nam
Things I've said here: