Author Topic: Character generation  (Read 108 times)

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +147/-2
Character generation
« on: March 15, 2016, 08:57:32 AM »
There's this idea that has been bouncing around my brain for a while. And I need to get it out before it smashes my skull from the inside.

And I've hit a problem right out of the gate.
The idea is a stat-fed ... a text based wrestling game[1].
And I'm struggling with the character generation system.
Each player would get a grand total of one wrestler so they're bound to put a massive amount of fretting into their character creation.

My concern is that, if I allow any size and shape of wrestlers, EVERYONE is going to make Great Khali sized monsters with a Brock Lesnar physique, even if I tell people how the moves system will work (which I won't go into here).
I want people to make some Daniel Bryans.

If I install a hardcoded limit of, say, 7 feet ... I'm going to get a horde of 7 foot dudes.

If I afford people a number of points to create their character, I'm still going to get 7 foot dudes, just very skinny ones who are then upgraded later on.

So, how do I tackle this?

Input an exchange rate muscle/fat?
Make the height cost exponetial rather than linear, so that if you really really want to have Great Khali, you can, but he's going to be almost entirely without skill.
(but I want to keep skills rather limited)

Does it show that I've only been getting into the nitty-gritty recently?

Any input, 10% who've made it this far?

1. 90% of readers throw up at this point and leave, so for the 10% who are still here, let's get on with it
2 Interwebs 7:42
And in the seventh year, thou shalt cast out the Nam from thine assembly for he haveth a potty mouth.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +510/-53
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Re: Character generation
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 09:04:46 AM »
Speed and stamina could be inversely proportional to size.
My names are many, yet I am One.
-Orion, son of Fire and Light, Sol Invictus.

Religions need books because they don't have gods.

Online jaimehlers

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +949/-25
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 10:22:55 AM »
No matter what you do, you're going to have people trying to minmax the system.

I'd have height be randomized, personally, as a bell curve, so it'd simply be very time-consuming to get someone who's excessively tall.  And furthermore, make it so that people who are on the extremes of the bell curve have lower stats on average.  They don't have to be a lot lower, but enough so that the kind of person who wants to minmax is going to have to spend a lot of time to get things the way they want them.
Please let me know if you have problems with something I say, so that we can discuss it amicably.

Offline eh!

• Professor
  • Darwins +381/-85
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 04:49:02 PM »
Install a random GSP coefficient, ie freak of nature factor that can not be trained for.
some skepisms,
1. "I have not seen God. I have felt the invisible presence"
2. What if there is a rock in the middle of a road, a blind person is speeding towards it, ...they say that they can't see it.   Would you recommend him to keep speeding?

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +147/-2
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 06:39:49 AM »
So, thusfar we have ...
- introduce stats that favor the cruiserweights

I'm still honing[1] the moves list and one of the checks a wrestler must make is against the 'agility' stat ... so I think I have that base covered.
If I introduce too many stats favoring the Rey Misterios, the game becomes unbalanced again ... so, I'm not sure about including 'stamina' ... maybe if I offset it by affording hitpoints based on size?

- randomize character creation

Hm ... not feeling this one ... a guy who likes the Big Shows and Braun Strowmans might just ditch the game if I stick him with Sin Cara.

- random GSP coefficient

I might agree, if I had the foggiest what a GSP coefficient was ...
 1. Dutch for honey, btw, #randomfactoftheday
And in the seventh year, thou shalt cast out the Nam from thine assembly for he haveth a potty mouth.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +510/-53
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 06:43:44 AM »
In Dragon Ball Xenoverse, the taller a character is, the more hitpoints it has, but it's also considerably slower.
My names are many, yet I am One.
-Orion, son of Fire and Light, Sol Invictus.

Religions need books because they don't have gods.

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +147/-2
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 07:26:59 AM »
Thusfar, I have these stats for my moves/wrestlers:
height: taller (relative to the opponent) wrestlers have an easier time with certain strenght moves, like the chokeslam or the gorilla press
shorter guys are better at aerial moves
weight: works much the same as height except that you can alter your weight after character creation
oh, and outweighing your opponent by a large amount nets your additional damage done per move
speed/agility: one stat that favors the lighter wrestler, makes aerial and technical moves easier. Maximum value is determined by the height and or weight you pick
Hitpoints: higher for bigger guys
stamina: higher for smaller guys, determines the likeliness of landing a successful move

I don't think this leaves a clear optimal strategy. So this shouldn't give me a roster of nothing but Andre the Giants nor Daniel Bryans

Say, about names of real life wrestlers. From what I understand, I'm beholden to make sure none of my players user copyrighted names and to remove any that do pop up ... that about cover it?

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +362/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburgerâ„¢
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2016, 09:41:57 AM »
I remember these stupid characters in a board game called Talisman, where one could add strength to psych, and the other one could look at the spell cards coming off the deck, and choose. I dunno. You felt like throwing them out of the pack, but then there were all these other characters that were dominant.

Make them all equal!!!!
If people are stupid enough to vote for Donald Trump, they are stupid enough to believe the Bible - Anonymous Philosopher.