Author Topic: IBM sets Patent Record in 2014: Only the Beginning...  (Read 142 times)

Online DVZ3

• Reader
  • Darwins +51/-9
IBM sets Patent Record in 2014: Only the Beginning...
« on: January 12, 2015, 03:05:44 PM »
I don't think people understand the impact of this technology quite yet; it's going to change things to be sure. "Deep Learning" is only in it's infancy. This site will only be one of many great examples.

http://venturebeat.com/2015/01/12/ibm-sets-patent-record-in-2014-with-7534/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Xcmh1LQB9I

The time when it's at its most early development: The Grand Challenges

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjHMYuGkzlU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFR3lOm_xhE

« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 03:20:18 PM by DVZ3 »
Hguols: "Its easier for me to believe that a God created everything...."

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +847/-6
  • I'm very stoic, except when there is an easier way
Re: IBM sets Patent Record in 2014: Only the Beginning...
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 03:25:25 PM »
Part of this is really neat. Part of it is scary.

What happens when big time hackers/spammers get ahold of a Watson machine and start asking it how they could better break in to computing systems? Or other bad guys use Watson to find better ways to be bad guys in general?

This is obviously the direction computers are going. And I've no doubt great things will come of these efforts. I'm just wondering how much these new capabilities can be misused, as well. I'm sure we'll find out eventually.

But, thanks for the links. It is indeed cool stuff. If I just weren't such a frickin' pessimist!  :P
It isn't true that non-existent gods can't do anything. For instance, they were able to make me into an atheist.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +206/-8
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 04:01:08 PM »
Congress is passing a bill while we speak that says machines cannot take over man.  So we are fine.  HAL, where are you HAL?
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Online DVZ3

• Reader
  • Darwins +51/-9
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 09:52:59 PM »

Similarly, I don't think we will program the controversy to avoid knowledge and develop counter arguments for those who are not "experts" in their field of study like we witness BibleStudent do today with our group of experts.

BibleStudent is a "skeptic" to be sure which is absolutely healthy. However, there are many threads of his which can be picked apart by experts which only leaves godly backpedaling.

Backpedaling or always playing defense shouldn't be honorable or respectable when put up against scientific hypothesis and experts in their field (in chess playing defense typically means you are being beat by a greater strategy/intelligence).

The evidence for our history is only growing in hypothesis yet we sit here and listen to how absurd and unlikely evolution is and how likely a man rose from the dead and controls the universe.

Simple question: what's more likely? occam's razor.

http://io9.com/prominent-scientists-sign-letter-of-warning-about-ai-ri-1679487924

Our AI will simply disregard BS's implications of our universe unless evidence shows itself otherwise. We have another war against Christianity coming and it's going to be our own AI that won't be capable the female "I feel that god exist" and exclude all else. BS has made it quite clear he excludes all else.

I hold onto the position that I called him out for a while ago? He isn't searching for truth but searching to become an expert in false and exaggerated claims that have no base in our reality. He is using this website to promote and encourage weak-minded people. Willfull ignorance is the glue that keeps churches and families who cannot speak their mind nor the truth together. They continue to play the game of charades going because it's easier not to rock the boat and be passive aggressive instead; don't want to hurt anyone's feeling with knowledge! Just keep them in the dark...

Now please, let's let our best minds (group of experts) solve cancer so we move on from this bullshit and defense reasons why god won't.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 10:08:51 PM by DVZ3 »

Online HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +103/-17
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 09:56:18 PM »
Congress is passing a bill while we speak that says machines cannot take over man.  So we are fine.  HAL, where are you HAL?

Resistance is futile.

Seriously, you guys are the meanest people I have ever met.  I hope you are happy and feel really good about yourself. 

Online DVZ3

• Reader
  • Darwins +51/-9

Online Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +569/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 07:21:28 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Xcmh1LQB9I
This is quite amazing. About year ago, I was discussing the inefficiency of accessing data with my elder son who is a chemistry postgrad student. My point was not quite that of Lord Kelvin who said, "Everything that can be invented has been invented[1]." but that there is probably a vast amount of information just sitting around that, if combined, would provide an unbelievably large array of new inventions/patents.

My son explained that there were some quite smart search engines whose search terms can be fine tuned to drag out information from academic papers[2], but I was left with a feeling that this was not quite enough; not efficient enough; not thorough enough.

So now with Watson, this 7,000+ p.a. patents will be seen as an insignificant figure. It would appear to be the goose that lays golden eggs.

My advice is "Invest in IBM."
 1. or who was at least one of the people credited with saying this.
 2. as long as they have been indexed properly
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”