Author Topic: Are prophecy and miracles real and how do you prove either to the faithful?  (Read 2595 times)

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
Re: Are prophecy and miracles real and how do you prove either to the faithful?
« Reply #87 on: September 05, 2013, 11:44:57 AM »
Miracle at the Mayo Clinic?  Really?  The physicians and nurses and aides and therapist and medications and procedures had nothing whatsoever to do with her healing?  Bite me.  >:(
The miraculous miracle always seems to loose its magic once you know how the trick is done.
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #88 on: September 05, 2013, 11:58:58 AM »
^^^ yep, pissed me off hearing that crap. miracle with a side of Mayo...?
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #89 on: September 05, 2013, 12:28:29 PM »
Miracle at the Mayo Clinic?  Really?  The physicians and nurses and aides and therapist and medications and procedures had nothing whatsoever to do with her healing?  Bite me.  >:(

I miraculously flew to New Orleans...in a plane.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +783/-4
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #90 on: September 05, 2013, 06:49:56 PM »
Documented, unambiguous and (I would add) specific to the god or religion that is being credited with the alleged miracle.

Or else there might be all these gods running around slapping miracles on people of other religions willy nilly. Like Haile Selassie is healing Hindus with the power of reefer and Jah love; Thor is healing Catholics with Mjolnir, his mighty hammer and the word of the Allfather; and Eshu Elegba is healing Mormons with the power of the number three and a goat sacrifice.

I'd pay to see that movie. ;D
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #91 on: September 05, 2013, 11:04:30 PM »
They had their "medic" look her over but he prayed as well.  I still picked her up - I guess it was my lack of faith that derailed god's healing? :) I am one powerful SOB to outfox the omnimax!

Good for you. And good for that "medic" for not being so devout he left it all "in god's hands". If my nephew had been in a comparable situation, and I found out that the adult/s responsible for his welfare had only prayed over his injury... I would be strongly tempted to knock out some of their teeth and see if the pious ones could pray them back in.

As to the OP, I would think it would be fairly rare to get a believer to disbelieve in a particular miracle. I'm not sure who said it: "You can't reason anyone out of something they weren't reasoned into." Especially when those "miracles" are central to their faith.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 11:10:22 PM by wright »
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius