Author Topic: Theists, what would it take to prove you wrong?  (Read 1473 times)

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +700/-28
  • Karma mooch
Re: Theists, what would it take to prove you wrong?
« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2013, 08:43:08 AM »
@PP, @Hatter, @ScrewTape:

When I made the statement below, I'm not implying whether these would be rational/valid/logical tools for making decisions.  I'm simply pointing out reasons why people might hold on more rigidly to a belief system, because it provides them either a real or perceived benefit.

Yes, I got that. 
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +925/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
Re: Theists, what would it take to prove you wrong?
« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2013, 06:06:14 PM »
It is true that many people find comfort in religion when faced with problems. But religious belief does not solve the problems--it only gives the illusion of solving the problem. People can't solve problems if they are not focusing on the real cause.

Otherwise people throw children into the volcano to placate the gods instead of figuring out what really causes volcanoes to erupt--and moving away when there are signs of an impending eruption. Or they burn witches to keep away the plague instead of learning about how disease germs are transmitted-- and start washing their hands after handling infected items.

Depression, for example, has real causes. How about focusing on those real causes of depression (biochemical imbalances, abuse, financial stress, physical illnesses, etc) instead of upholding the illusion of religious belief as a way to relieve emotional distress?  :P
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.