Author Topic: a good rebuttal to moral arguements  (Read 407 times)

Offline wigglytuff

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • WWGHA Member
a good rebuttal to moral arguements
« on: August 22, 2013, 11:59:17 AM »
I am curious what do you guys think would be the best rebuttals to moral arguments made by Christians,like this one http://covenant-theology.blogspot.ca/2011/02/knowledge-of-god-part-iv.html one of my favorites its to show how there is no such thing as moral absolutes in their religion, and also i believe this website was featured on this guy's blog

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +645/-3
  • Entropy isn’t what it used to be
Re: a good rebuttal to moral arguements
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 01:10:06 PM »
Well, since it says in the Bible that if a woman happened to touch the genitals of her husband's attacker while helping to fight him off, her hand must be chopped off, any inbuilt morals in the bible credited to their god are suspect.

Apes and other primates show signs of having morality built in,via genetics, and it generally accepted that we humans do too. They seem to help when we prefer living in groups. Believers like giving all the credit for everything positive to their god, but if they won't consider other, more plausible possibilities, any seeking of the truth on their part is fruitless.

We humans, were we not genetically prone to be sort of nice to each other, would exist in much smaller numbers, in much smaller groups, and if that we're the case, the religious would be taking all the credit for whatever social norms we experienced in those conditions.

I assume that at some point in the future, the religious are going to look at all the morbidly obese folks in the country and find a biblical verse that both predicts and justifies the extra weight and claim it as yet another proof that god loves us, or whatever.

Edit. Corrected horrid spelling caused by my self-correcting ipad. Which doesn't correct iPad.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 01:12:01 PM by ParkingPlaces »
Never trust an atom. They make up everything!

Online Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +241/-6
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 02:42:41 PM »
Well, since it says in the Bible that if a woman happened to touch the genitals of her husband's attacker while helping to fight him off, her hand must be chopped off, any inbuilt morals in the bible credited to their god are suspect.

Apes and other primates show signs of having morality built in,via genetics, and it generally accepted that we humans do too. They seem to help when we prefer living in groups. Believers like giving all the credit for everything positive to their god, but if they won't consider other, more plausible possibilities, any seeking of the truth on their part is fruitless.

We humans, were we not genetically prone to be sort of nice to each other, would exist in much smaller numbers, in much smaller groups, and if that we're the case, the religious would be taking all the credit for whatever social norms we experienced in those conditions.

I assume that at some point in the future, the religious are going to look at all the morbidly obese folks in the country and find a biblical verse that both predicts and justifies the extra weight and claim it as yet another proof that god loves us, or whatever.

Edit. Corrected horrid spelling caused by my self-correcting ipad. Which doesn't correct iPad.

Yes are morals are complex and conflicted. Genetically selfish individual do better than other members of the tribe and have more opportunties to mate. Tribes composed of genetically selfish individuals will fail and starve to death. There are two differing genetic pressures in our makeup. That's WHY we face moral conundrums and problems.

Also that's why we tend to treat people we don't have contact with, particularly if the look different as lesser beings....tribal evolution at work. Not pretty, but their you go.

An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +563/-22
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 03:20:39 PM »
I am curious what do you guys think would be the best rebuttals to moral arguments made by Christians,like this one

That one is a dumbass who never actually makes his argument.  He briefly, and in at least one case incorrectly, summarizes a secular basis of ethics and then does some handwaving.  After that he jumps right to "absolute morals exist, thus god exists."  He's a lightweight chump who repeats some words he heard his betters speak without really understanding what he's saying.  All he knows is where he has to end up, not how to actually get there.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline wigglytuff

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 09:14:53 PM »
I am curious what do you guys think would be the best rebuttals to moral arguments made by Christians,like this one

That one is a dumbass who never actually makes his argument.  He briefly, and in at least one case incorrectly, summarizes a secular basis of ethics and then does some handwaving.  After that he jumps right to "absolute morals exist, thus god exists."  He's a lightweight chump who repeats some words he heard his betters speak without really understanding what he's saying.  All he knows is where he has to end up, not how to actually get there.
well his website also talks about this forum... http://covenant-theology.blogspot.ca/2013/04/amputees-and-god.html take a look at what he says about us

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +563/-22
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 07:41:27 AM »
^ as I said, a pretentious dumbass.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Online Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +241/-6
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 07:55:35 AM »
And I love how they state what the "Why won't God heal amputees" is begging the question.

And proceed to state their explaination through an appeal to ignorance.  :o

One of those is below:

I will repeat my answer that I posted elsewhere.

The whole amputee objection is one of the silliest, in my opinion. Why do we accept the objection as stated by the non-believer? Have they evaluated every person who have lost a limb, ever, in the history of humanity, and confirmed that there never was one that grew back? Their claim that God never does it, or has never done it, is simply unsupportable. It is an inductive assertion based on invalid premises, because it only takes one case to disprove the assertion. So unless they can prove that every amputee, ever, have been investigated for proof of limb regeneration, it is a silly argument.

And as we see, when evidence of miraculous limb regeneration is presented, they immediately discount or negate it, without investigation to see whether it may actually be true or not. It shows that they are not interested in answering their own question, it is just rhetoric.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 07:57:34 AM by Hatter23 »
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline wigglytuff

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 11:31:57 PM »
what if they try to say something absurd like why is survival important? or why should we want to survive? :o

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 12:00:07 AM »
you mean something else absurd...?

maybe just go read a Jesus and Mo comic for entertainment, wiggly.

the folks on that site are suckling at the theism teet and cannot see beyond their own noses and prejudices. oh, and they are indeedd umbasses
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan