Author Topic: Video from Martian surface: Phobos Passing in front of Deimos  (Read 457 times)

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappĂ©
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +186/-8
Re: Video from Martian surface: Phobos Passing in front of Deimos
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 01:40:58 PM »
You know I'm not even sure I knew Mars had a moon or moons.  That is cool.  Odd that other planets moons have names.  Our own moon has no name.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +683/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 02:05:13 PM »
^ Luna
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 02:16:24 PM »
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappĂ©
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 02:33:07 PM »
You know I'm not even sure I knew Mars had a moon or moons.

Yep, two of them.  Both very small, the larger one being only about eleven miles across.  They are generally speculated/believed to be captured asteroids.  Because of their size, their gravity is so weak that if you were standing on the surface of one of them and threw a baseball up into the sky, the baseball would fly off into space instead of falling back to the surface.

That is cool.  Odd that other planets moons have names.

The history of the naming of the various bodies in our solar system is actually pretty interesting.  When Uranus was first discovered, for example, nobody knew what to call it or even what the hell it was.  It was the first "new" planet that had ever been discovered because all the others had been known of since antiquity due to their being readily naked-eye visible, which Uranus is not, and of course, telescopes back then being nowhere near what they are today, they couldn't get a very good look at it.  For a while, some people (including Herschel) were tentatively calling it a comet, although they weren't sure about that because it didn't have a tail.  It wasn't until about two years or so after its discovery, and further observations and calculations had been made, that everyone agreed that it was a planet.  Herschel's own idea was to call it "George's Star", after his King.  The suggestion obviously didn't go too far.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 04:05:34 PM »
This place is a wealth of knowledge.  Thanks, PD.  Since my deconversion, I've been fascinated by space, planets, etc.

I think George's Star would have been a nice name in hindsight...

I do like how you decribed it "being readily naked-eye visible, which Uranus is not"

Ok, done with the potty humor.
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 05:25:15 PM »
Thanks for the link, pd. Makes me wish for similar video from the surface of one of Saturn's moons in my lifetime; that would be a sight.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-1
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 11:09:04 AM »
This, from the same site, is pretty cool to scroll around as well. Nothing much to see, but just the fact that it's Mars, and the detail is so great, kind of gives me goosebumps.
http://mars.nasa.gov/multimedia/interactives/billionpixel/index.cfm?image=PIA16918&view=pano

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 10:16:01 PM »
I saw a video today about a new star being "born". I forget where...

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.