Author Topic: Judge: cannot name baby "Messiah"  (Read 394 times)

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +563/-22
  • Karma mooch
Judge: cannot name baby "Messiah"
« on: August 12, 2013, 05:21:26 PM »
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/08/12/19986524-baby-cant-be-named-messiah-judge-rules?lite

A Tennessee judge has ordered a baby boy’s name to be changed from “Messiah” after deciding it is a title that has “only been earned by one person and that one person is Jesus Christ.”

NBC station WBIR reported that the parents of the 7-month-old went to a child support hearing in Cocke County Chancery Court because they could not agree on his surname.

However, Child Support Magistrate Lu Ann Ballew decided Thursday that the baby, Messiah DeShawn Martin, should be renamed “Martin DeShawn McCullough.”

So nice of judge Lu Ann to name their baby for them. That ruling isn't going to last.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +35/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
Re: Judge: cannot name baby "Messiah"
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 05:35:38 PM »
“I never intended on naming my son Messiah because it means God and I didn't think a judge could make me change my baby's name because of her religious beliefs,” she said.
Freedom of religion as long as it's the judge's religion. 
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 06:11:24 PM »
I saw this over on facebook. If someone can call their baby Moonunit or Chastity, I don't see how Messiah is a problem. Lots of latinos are named Jesus (pronounced Hay-soos in Spanish). This judge (and whomever reported them) has a problem.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +645/-3
  • Entropy isn’t what it used to be
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 06:14:10 PM »
The judge should have called him Sue. He'll need to grow up tough and all that jazz.

Other countries have rules much worse than this. In Norway, a guy wanted to change his name to Harley Davidson (he was obviously a motorcycle nut), but they made him change it to Harley Davidsen (note the 'e' rather than an 'o') because Norway ends such names with the 'en' while those lousy Swedes use 'on'. And they like keeping things different.

Not the same thing, and perhaps not quite as stupid a reason, but at least it isn't without precedence.

On the bright side, when the kids joins this site in 15 or 16 years as an atheist, his first name will be easier for him to live with.

But the judge was an asshole. It isn't his call. Especially his reasoning. And especially since there used to be lots of people calling themselves the messiah. Even before Facebook. But hey, maybe this will be the worst thing that ever happens to the kid, and he'll end up being pretty happy because of it.
Never trust an atom. They make up everything!

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 06:23:25 PM »
And I understand the original complaint had something to do with the last name.  The judge put herself into the mix by focusing on the 1st name.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline pianodwarf

• Fellow
  • Darwins +206/-5
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 07:49:51 PM »
Don't know whether the parents will have any interest in appealing, but if they do, this will almost certainly be thrown out.  Laws on this vary from state to state here in the US, but for the most part, state law says that you can change your name to anything you want to, so long as it's not for any unlawful purpose (such as trying to evade people you owe money to).  The bar is higher in some states than in others -- for example, a college friend of mine from a different state had to appear in court and explain to a judge why he wanted to change his name, whereas I only had to fill out some forms, notarize them, and run a legal notice in the newspaper.  So long as you meet those minimal requirements, though, courts have almost always ruled in favor of the name change, even in cases like Prince, who filed to have his name changed to a symbol that had no pronunciation.[1]
 1. Although, after he began to be referred to as "The Artist Formerly Known As Prince", some people said that the new name should be pronounced "taffcap".
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline William

• Fellow
  • Darwins +92/-2
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 11:34:02 PM »
What's the judge going to when somebody called Muhammad or Jesus turns up in court?
Or for more fun, how about Lucifer:

http://lifestyle.ca.msn.com/family-parenting/family-life/worst-baby-names-of-2016?page=11
Git mit uns

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 12:43:13 PM »
What's the judge going to when somebody called Muhammad or Jesus turns up in court?
Or for more fun, how about Lucifer:

http://lifestyle.ca.msn.com/family-parenting/family-life/worst-baby-names-of-2016?page=11
Damn, that pic is frightening. ;)
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 01:04:07 PM »
can I name my kid Jealous?
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline One Above All

• Professor
  • Darwins +224/-31
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 01:10:31 PM »
I think the parents should have the right to name their kid whatever they want, although I also think the name is stupid and will create difficulties for the child later in life.

As for Lucifer, a while back I wanted to be named that IRL. However, if I'm not mistaken, it's not allowed here in Portugal. Fucking christians and their Bible translations.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +35/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 01:11:33 PM »
^^You can name him Jelous but you can't name him Jesous.
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +116/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 05:38:08 PM »
I don't think the judge should have the authority to require the parents change the child's name, but the judge probably did him a favor.
John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +45/-0
  • Human Bean
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 09:20:41 PM »
I think Messiah, without all the baggage, is actually a really nice sounding name.
It's YOUR god, it's YOUR rules, YOU go to hell.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means...

"Noah's ark is a problem. We'll have to call it early quantum state phenomenon, only way to fit 5000 species of mammal in the same boat."
- River Tam

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 11:16:48 PM »
sounds like a rapper name...
meS.I.Ya
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Betelnut

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +13/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2013, 03:39:52 PM »
A few days after I read an article about this topic, I saw a birth announcement in my local paper (Southern Maryland) for a boy who was named...Messiah.

Offline churchgoingatheist

• Freshman
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2013, 08:39:27 PM »
It is the judge's overtly religious reasoning that is wildly inappropriate here.  It wasn't about the child's future or the reason for the name--it was about his personal religious beliefs.  He should lose his job!