Author Topic: A Study of Studies  (Read 405 times)

Offline bosey926

• Reader
  • Darwins +8/-1
A Study of Studies
« on: August 12, 2013, 01:28:41 PM »
     A cumulative study of the studies on religion spanning over the past decades shows...you guessed it...we're (atheists) typically smarter than them (theists).  As a result of this endowment of knowledge, we have greater access to formal education, quality healthcare, top-notch infrastructure, etc., and in return from those societal outputs, we attain far greater socio-economic stature than our religious counterparts. 

Here is the link: http://news.yahoo.com/religious-people-are-less-intelligent-than-atheists--study-finds--113350723.html#upCr476

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +186/-8
Re: A Study of Studies
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 01:34:40 PM »
Ha, how about that.  Wait, didn't we already know that?  I'm sure the devil has his hand in this somehow.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 01:50:11 PM »
Ha, how about that.  Wait, didn't we already know that?  I'm sure the devil has his hand in this somehow.

Well, of course he does.  The devil was the one responsible for that "fruit of knowledge" debacle.  Even now, he's continuing his horrible plot of educating people.   :o
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +566/-18
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 03:22:28 PM »
What that study suggests is that intelligent people are less likely to adopt theistic beliefs and more likely to question if they do end up adopting one.  That doesn't mean that atheists are more intelligent or theists are less intelligent, especially since many atheists were theistic at one point.  I seriously doubt that any of them were less intelligent during their theist phase.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +772/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 03:43:18 PM »
I seriously doubt that any of them were less intelligent during their theist phase.

I was. But I was only, like, you know, nine or ten.

Democrats are better educated than republicans. And educated republicans are more likely to deny global warming than less educated republicans. We sort of need to be a little careful about thinking that education is an end all. It isn't if what people learn is a bunch of bull.

And though I am, of course, incredibly brilliant, I'm pretty sure I never made it to the status of "rich", so like most generalizations, they seldom apply all the time to all people. (Any that conclude that all people need air to breathe are probably universal. The rest, not so much.)

We atheists need to be especially careful not to fall prey to confirmation bias. We can't complain about it all the time if we use it amongst ourselves.

Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +566/-18
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 04:04:19 PM »
Which was part of what I was trying to get across.

Say, for the sake of argument, that 60% of people with an IQ of over 110 are atheists, and 40% are theists.  What does that prove?  It doesn't prove anything - it demonstrates an inverse correlation between high IQs and theistic beliefs.  It also demonstrates that 40% of those people are still theists despite having a high IQ.

Offline Mooby

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
  • So it goes.
    • Is God Imaginary?
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 07:05:46 PM »
Anyone got access to the full text?
"I'm doing science and I'm still alive."--J.C.