Author Topic: Lost at sea...and also in the head  (Read 1209 times)

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
Lost at sea...and also in the head
« on: August 11, 2013, 08:54:04 AM »
Read in the paper today about that family rescued at sea.  They had been lost for weeks.  A mom, dad, 2 small kids, and a father-in-law.  Turns out they had left Arizona for some little island to escape religious gov pressure from the US gov.  When I heard that my ...bunch of nuts radar went up.  They put themselves in God's hands and he sent storms, damaged their boat, and got them stranded at sea.  A fishing boat from Venezuela found them, transferred them to a Japanese boat, and ended up in Chili.  Now the US gov to flying them back home.  How is that for an oppressive gov?
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline William

• Fellow
  • Darwins +92/-2
Re: Lost at sea...and also in the head
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 09:42:43 AM »
Amazing. They prayed and eventually a helicopter spotted them.
Don't the Angles get any of the good gigs these days  :?
Git mit uns

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +748/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 10:18:58 AM »
Well, first of all, our government is more fair than those people think. It oppresses EVERYBODY!!!

But can you imagine how much money those folks are going to be making when they get paid to go on the various TV shows that love shit like that. Everything from Good Morning America to The View, and everything Fox News can muster on such sort notice; they'll be billionaires by next Friday.

So I think I'm gonna tell everyone I'm an atheist and I'm that I'm leaving the country because it is too oppressive to non-believers, then I'll get myself lost in the Canadian wilderness (or maybe the Paris subway system would be better), and  then when I get found I'll get sympathy from the American media and go on TV and make a fortune whining and wailing about how horrible this country is to atheists.

America: Land of opportunity. As long as you leave it and get lost.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 10:33:48 AM »
they will be Carnival Cruise Lines' new spokespeople... "see, getting stranded at sea isn't so bad folks - give Carnival another shot!"
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +31/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 10:58:15 AM »
  Sounds a little like the movie "The Mosquito Coast", but only a little.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 11:28:56 AM »
Amazing. They prayed and eventually a helicopter spotted them.
Don't the Angles get any of the good gigs these days  :?
Angle was busy in Missouri disguised as a priest to get that girl out of the car wreck.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +849/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 12:56:48 PM »
I'm glad they were rescued, for the kids' sake. If they had been lost much longer, god might have given them the gift of eating each other a la Donner Party. I hope the children realize that their parents are batsh!t crazy, take their share of the tv millions and split at the earliest opportunity.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +77/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 01:09:33 PM »
I wonder if they were true to their paranoid SPAG and didn't bother stocking the boat with food and water for the trip, trusting that their ominpresent, omnibenevolent, omnipotent deity would send rain and make fish leap into their hands when they needed to resupply? Well, he did send them those storms, so they at least can't complain about not getting fresh water...

From the Friendly Atheist:http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2013/08/10/due-to-paranoid-religious-concerns-christian-family-sails-out-of-america-and-gets-stranded/

Honestly, these people sound so paranoid I'm amazed they could function as long as they did in modern society. If they don't learn from this experience, it's only a matter of time before they get themselves in another self-dug hole.

I'm glad they were rescued, for the kids' sake. If they had been lost much longer, god might have given them the gift of eating each other a la Donner Party. I hope the children realize that their parents are batsh!t crazy, take their share of the tv millions and split at the earliest opportunity.

Good point. It would be interesting to see if / how those kids' worldview has changed when they come of age.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 02:44:59 PM »
Imagine thinking Arizona is oppressive.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +849/-6
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 02:58:40 PM »
Imagine thinking Arizona is oppressive.

Well, it is. But not so much for the white conservative Christians. :P

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline William

• Fellow
  • Darwins +92/-2
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2013, 11:52:20 PM »
Angle was busy in Missouri disguised as a priest to get that girl out of the car wreck.

Ah hah! Now I see why nobody can find that mystery priest - the identikit faces doesn't include this vital info:

(PS: I could only find the pic once my mildly dyslexic brain got round to correcting my spelling  :laugh: )
Git mit uns

Online LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +125/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 11:27:51 AM »
The most annoying part is how much of the tax money that they object to paying was spent on their rescue.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +523/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 12:01:07 PM »
I can't understand why God didn't send a whale of Biblical proportions to swallow them and return them to the US.
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 12:38:58 PM »
I can't understand why God didn't send a whale of Biblical proportions to swallow them and return them to the US.
Or just make it so they could walk back.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +658/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2013, 01:23:06 PM »

or digest them
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +849/-6
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2013, 04:19:47 PM »
I would not trust the judgment of people who would take children onto a boat without proper provisions. Maybe the evil state could charge the parents with child endangerment and have the kids removed. It could save their lives in case the nutso parents decide to go live in the desert without food or water for 40 years...or maybe decide to drown them to keep them from sinning.  :P

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2013, 11:09:42 PM »
or... god will provide the sacrifice.

These folks are a clear danger to themselves and others; more nuts in that family than the line at a sperm bank
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +77/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2013, 06:53:27 PM »
Looks like they learned exactly zero and have plans to "escape" the nonexistant horrible, horrible persecution they face in Neverneverland the US: http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/conservative-christian-voyagers-who-were-lost-pacific-plan-leave-again-fear-immigration-refo

When, not if, they screw up again, I hope they won't put their children's lives in danger. Again.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 06:55:37 PM by wright »
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2013, 08:38:36 PM »
Fish bait.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +307/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2013, 08:57:51 PM »
Read in the paper today about that family rescued at sea.  They had been lost for weeks.  A mom, dad, 2 small kids, and a father-in-law.  Turns out they had left Arizona for some little island to escape religious gov pressure from the US gov.  When I heard that my ...bunch of nuts radar went up.  They put themselves in God's hands and he sent storms, damaged their boat, and got them stranded at sea.  A fishing boat from Venezuela found them, transferred them to a Japanese boat, and ended up in Chili.  Now the US gov to flying them back home.  How is that for an oppressive gov?

Surprised Shamu wasn't involved.

;)

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2013, 09:48:56 AM »
this time, I bet even the Venezualens won't bother with them: "look at these capitalist fools - they are back - let's see if they have any of those fancy new iPhone 3Gs, then set them adrift." fool me once...

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +849/-6
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2013, 12:43:15 PM »
Wait a minute. These people don't like immigration, ie foreigners moving to the US, so they plan to become.....immigrants in a foreign country. Makes my head hurt, the stupid does.

They think the US is not conservative or Christian enough. Good luck finding any country that is more conservative and Christian than the US--that is not also full of impoverished, non-English speaking foreigners.

Where do they think they are going to go where they won't themselves be foreigners, subject to immigration laws?  Most countries are not generally as lenient as the US on immigration, so they will be wishing for the very same immigration reforms that they oppose. Let them go try to get citizenship in Germany or Japan....

Russia is, ironically, looking pretty good for them-- what with the pro-church, anti-gay rules and all. Can't wait to see them complain about oppressive government to the likes of Vladimir Putin and the Russian Mafia. They will come back begging to kiss Obama's....feet. Frying pan to fire--spasibo for playing.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +658/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2013, 01:48:26 PM »
Good luck finding any country that is more conservative and Christian than the US--that is not also full of impoverished, non-English speaking foreigners.

SHUSH!  Don't say anything!  You're going to spoil it!  Cripes, man, we stand to offload a significant number of crazies and you are trying to talk them out of it. 

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2013, 02:50:41 PM »
Good luck finding any country that is more conservative and Christian than the US--that is not also full of impoverished, non-English speaking foreigners.

SHUSH!  Don't say anything!  You're going to spoil it!  Cripes, man, we stand to offload a significant number of crazies and you are trying to talk them out of it.

Actually makes me think of the weirdness that is  Santa Bárbara d'Oeste, where there are brown skinned people who still swear allegience to the principles of Jefferson Davis and the Confederacy.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +849/-6
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2013, 04:36:27 PM »

Actually makes me think of the weirdness that is  Santa Bárbara d'Oeste, where there are brown skinned people who still swear allegience to the principles of Jefferson Davis and the Confederacy.

I read about that. In Brazil, of all places. The most multiracially mixed country in the Americas. They are the descendants of the local black Brazilian population and the white US confederate slave owners. So much for racially pure segregation.  The whites headed south to Brazil to escape the horrors being around black people. I guess they were really bad at geography and thought that since the people spoke Portuguese, they were in Portugal. I can only imagine what they thought when they got off the boats in South America and saw all those Africans.

They say the same thing people in the US south say, that the stars and bars flag is not a symbol of racism, but of a unique cultural heritage. In the case of the Brazilian confederates, I believe them. :P

Funny how a mixed race population always magically appears, even when people say they are against the races mixing. And it is almost always black women giving birth to the mixed kids. Lots of immaculate conceptions, I guess, since those Christian white men would never have sex with their female slaves.... &)

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +95/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2013, 08:32:30 PM »
* Religion: institutionalized superstition, period.

"Many of my ultra-conservative Republican friends...have trouble accepting the idea God is not a Republican. " ~OldChurchGuy

"We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it."  ~ParkingPlaces

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +307/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2013, 11:28:20 PM »
nogodsforme,

It is a part of their heritage, their racist heritage. ;)

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Aeron

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2013, 08:43:26 PM »
I got lost in the woods on a hike once, I went to pray, then my wife smacked me and said use the GPS.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +849/-6
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2013, 10:56:39 PM »
I just watched Cast Away with Tom Hanks. Wonderful movie that deserved all the praise it got. I thought it would be cheesy and lame, but I was wrong.  Hanks was amazingly believable.

It took Tom days to figure out something as basic as how to get coconuts open so he could have water and food.  It took days more to learn to make a fire so he could cook anything.[1]I suggest any fool religious nut wanting to take the family to live on an island in the ocean-- with no survival skills or equipment-- check out that video. 

I predict raw human cannibalism around day 6.  :P

1. Evidently the film makers spent some time living on the island as if they were stranded, and those were some of the real life problems they faced.