Author Topic: Invite them in - COME ONE, COME ALL!  (Read 622 times)

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
  • Yahweh: Obviously not obvious.
    • Talk Origins
Invite them in - COME ONE, COME ALL!
« on: August 11, 2013, 01:47:30 AM »
Ok, so I've noticed there just aren't enough Christians to debate with on this site, and that's what I came here to do! So I'm advocating that each of us (here and there) promote WWGHA Forum throughout the internet forums and especially the Christian apologist sites (like carm.org) - or any other good places to promote. I've actually thought about creating WWGHAF businesses/promotion cards to pass around in my town and surrounding areas. After all, the internet is the place where religion comes to die, and what better place than here! What do you all think? Since this has become one of my hobbies I'd really like to attract more 'contenders'. So let's invite them in!

p.s. - For those who may be thinking, "Why don't you just join some of those apologist forums?" I say that's not my preference. Those forums usually ban those of us non-believers who ask very tough questions, refute their absurd arguments, and generally attempt to inject reason into their credulity.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 01:51:25 AM by median »
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Carl Sagan

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
Re: Invite them in - COME ONE, COME ALL!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 02:08:08 AM »
would we call it a-proselytizing?

I really do not think the vast majority of xians have any desire to debate nor have  they given their views much thought. I say this with many years of xianity under my belt and my own deconversion months ago.

What they will tend to debate are "in house" issues like modes of baptism or whether you should drink Welch's or wine during communion.  I am closeted, but nonetheless have gently asked a lot of fundie friends about what they think of atheists and whether they have looked into their views, and it's literally been like asking them if they ever considered castrating themselves.

Someone I once really respected for their theological views recently responded, "heck no, they believe in satan why would I bother."  I was dumbstruck for a bit and could not really respond...

If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 08:49:13 AM »
Many don't like their delusion challenged.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +124/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 10:02:02 AM »
To be honest, I've seen too many arguments where people end up being called stupid or idiots or their views are attacked with sarcasm.  I would  not want to expose anyone to that.  Not that this isn't a wonderful forum where you meet some wonderful people but I this is something one best stumble upon themselves.  Although I mentioned to a friend of mine that in my own recent struggles I have found atheist strangers to be more supportive and less judgmental than alleged christian friends.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 10:10:13 AM by LoriPinkAngel »
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline DVZ3

• Reader
  • Darwins +40/-7
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 11:42:27 AM »

To be honest, I've seen too many arguments where people end up being called stupid or idiots or their views are attacked with sarcasm.  I would  not want to expose anyone to that.

I tried to invite my cousin who is a devout christian and even just graduated from a christian college of which I've mentioned here before.  I asked why he wasn't interested in contributing and being part of this forum...

His reply - "Why would I want to do that! Why would I want to join a forum in which I would just be crucified for being a christian!?"

I find this response too overwhelming full of ignorance as well as hypocirsy.  It is the non-believers (athesits if you will) who are the ones being vilified and crucified as far as I can tell simply for not believing.  I think christians really need and require a dose of their medicine sometimes. It's healthy to see reality for what it is and not what you pretend it to be.

Yes, it's true that many of us, including myself come off as being sarcastic.  But let's be honest here for a moment.  I have to come off that way because I cannot and will accept people who genuinely believe in things that cannot be true.  Worse yet, later go on to make decisions and then go on to vote for the president of a country based on white lies that they are convinced are real.

These people think they are doing gods bidding but in the end they are very dangerous to many - including my future, unborn children.  When you look at it from the overall picture it's difficult not to mean and cruel to people who ultimatly unkowingly promote "mean and cruelness".  They just do not see the big picture.  They choose to only see the 'love' that it is portrayed as.

Love can and does exist without believing in a fairytale. Hope can and does exist without the fairytale.  The problem is most people think you can't have 1 without the other. Seperating from a secruity blanket is near impossible as an adult but it's difficult to smile and not come off as mean when people just don't have facts and evidence to back up an astoundingly large claim.

But I get it... And at the end of the day my mom still can't tell certain people she knows her son is an atheist because again, it's considered evil in some circles of her religous friends.   :-\

So yes, I find it difficult to feel bad for these types of people sometimes. 

« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 11:55:21 AM by DVZ3 »
Hguols: "Its easier for me to believe that a God created everything...."

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 11:45:45 AM »
Maybe your mom can start by telling people you are Canadian.  ;)  Then work her way up to atheist.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 11:50:04 AM »
Great points! I have little sympathy for Christians and other religious people who hold a double standard - wanting to avoid arguments with atheists/ex-Christians but feeling OK to proselytize to those who are more ignorant than they are.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 12:48:40 PM »
The thing is, when one of the major "goto"s for Christians and other gnostic theists is "an appeal to ignorance" as a foundational argument, AND the only way to quickly demonstrate why an appeal to ignorance is a bad line of reasoning is by using a sarcastic demonstration. Any apologist is going to be subject to sarcasm. Circular reasoning is nearly as dependent on ludicrous examples for demonstrating it being a false line of reasoning.

With nearly all logical fallacies, the easiest way to demonstrate them is though how they can result in ludicrous lines of reasoning.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 02:34:03 PM by Hatter23 »
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Robob 123

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 09:57:03 AM »
Hello, I'm a Christian who has recently decided to join, out of interest. Feel free to ask me questions, but I just have one...how do I know if my three posts are decent enough to be given the privilege of putting my own posts on the website?

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +49/-0
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 10:12:06 AM »
Welcome, Robob. Whenever you see a link to create a new topic, you'll know.
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 10:31:00 AM »
Welcome Robob... you are our answer to prayer!  :)  Hope you enjoy your time here!
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 11:25:38 PM »
Hello Robob 123 and welcome to WWGHAF. Please do not be offended if we challenge your beliefs in the bible, God, and Christianity. Many of us are ex-Christians/non-believers who used to believe those things and know the bible far better than most Christians. So if at times you start to feel outgunned don't be upset. Many of us here were in that same place once long ago. Just know that "it is for your own good!" (lol).