Author Topic: Just got visited by JW's  (Read 1503 times)

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +186/-8
Re: Just got visited by JW's
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2013, 02:40:27 PM »
Hey you guys, as the resident former JW here, you all have got some things wrong. First of all, the bike, with shirts and ties are Mormons, not JW's. We wore "modest dress" but did not have a specific uniform.

On the contrary, their normal mode of transportation is by foot. They dress like they are going to the Kentucky Derby. Most of women wear large-brim light-colored hats with flowers in them. It's like 1952.
Isn't that where the GOP wants to take us?
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +127/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2013, 03:43:02 PM »
author=nogodsforme link=topic=25288.msg565839#msg565839 date=1376245146

As a JW kid I knew I was not going to be one of the chosen few to go to heaven. But there was not much attraction to the earthly paradise, either. No playground rides, no tv, no rock music, no stores, no books, no sex.

I remember in another thread you mentioned something about not being allowed exposure to the outside world or media.  One time when my local JW lady had come to visit me it was near the time when Matthew Warren, the son of the very, very famous christain evangelist Rick Warren had just committed suicide.  I mentioned how amazing it was that Rick Warren was able to keep his faith through such a tragedy.  She truly had no idea what I was talking about. 
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline Petey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +11/-0
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2013, 08:43:20 AM »
To this day, I have yet to have a single JW or Mormon visit my house, wherever I have lived.  Just once, I would love for someone to stop at my door and say "Hello, I'd like to talk to you about Jesus (or god, or heaven, or the bible/book of Mormon)".  To which I would reply "Sure, come on in!  What would you like to know?"
He never pays attention, he always knows the answer, and he can never tell you how he knows. We can't keep thrashing him. He is a bad example to the other pupils. There's no educating a smart boy.
-– Terry Pratchett, Thief of Time

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +186/-8
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2013, 09:46:40 AM »
To this day, I have yet to have a single JW or Mormon visit my house, wherever I have lived.  Just once, I would love for someone to stop at my door and say "Hello, I'd like to talk to you about Jesus (or god, or heaven, or the bible/book of Mormon)".  To which I would reply "Sure, come on in!  What would you like to know?"
I think it is important to bait the trap.  Bread crumbs outside your door or be outside doing something important and they will appear.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +286/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2013, 09:25:34 AM »
They visited again today. They also visited me a while ago after the one I referred in the OP. I told them three separate times that I was an atheist, and that they would not be able to convince me that I was wrong. They still said "See you next time" before leaving. Hopefully they meant it as an expression, rather than a literal statement. They're beginning to get a bit annoying now.

The dropped the usual arguments, like "Adam was made perfect, but he disobeyed god anyway" and "The Bible says things that were proved by science". I didn't even bother to refute them, as I doubt they would be convinced of the truth.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +286/-37
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2013, 09:45:11 AM »
Probably my last post in this thread:
The "See you next time" bit was metaphorical. While they showed up at my building about a week or two after their previous visit, they didn't knock on my door.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
  • Residential Tulpamancer.
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2013, 11:29:35 AM »
Gah, JW's are annoying as hell...(pun intended)

"Do you believe in god?"

No, but do you have to hammer it into people?
Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +286/-37
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2013, 11:33:24 AM »
Gah, JW's are annoying as hell...(pun intended)

They are, but these weren't rude, so neither was I.

"Do you believe in god?"

No, but do you have to hammer it into people?

These claimed they weren't trying to convince me I was wrong. Their actions said otherwise.
We choose our own gods.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +325/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2013, 11:54:53 AM »
JW's I've met have been very courteous, in return I am courteous back. Unlike Baptists, even Mormons who actually pretend to be courteous after you reject them.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.