Author Topic: Religious fundamentalism could soon be treated as mental illness  (Read 358 times)

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +279/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/351347

Not sure how I feel about this. Found over on TTA.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline William

• Fellow
  • Darwins +92/-2
Re: Religious fundamentalism could soon be treated as mental illness
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 07:03:51 AM »
Well I've always thought that religion is like a software virus that corrupts thought processes.
Religion plants ideas and overrides or hijacks natural thought patterns.
Since God is given the status of the ultimate authority, followers are obliged to follow the leader without question.
Any rational thoughts and vague innate signals of empathy, say for first-borns, homosexuals, the unclean, hunchbacks, dwarfs, men with injured testes, or people born into the wrong tribes is crowded out by repetitive religious dogma and the fear of punishment for thinking otherwise.

If religious fundamentalism is to be recognised as a mental illness, then for the treatment to be effective it will have to go beyond the individual. It will have to be group therapy.

Here is a recent study that found religious extremists are motivated more by family and friends than information they found on their own i.e. on the internet:
Friends, family key motivators for extremist behaviour, study finds
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-08/motivations-for-terrorist-radicalisation/4874082

There is a strong group thing going on - and also why I'm so suspicious of religious spokespersons claiming that extremists don't represent the majority.
I think they fear reprisals but quietly rejoice in the madness.  I suspect even the meekest Muslims are lifted by the radical terrorist acts of Islamists.  And good Christians get a little thrill every time a drone takes out a Jihadist.

Fundamentalism is the tip of the iceberg - it can't float to the top without the quiet support of the silent sick mass beneath. 
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 07:06:36 AM by William »
Git mit uns

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +95/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 08:52:13 PM »
I recall reading, shortly after the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on the US, that one of the more unhealthy issues with fundamentalism (religious or otherwise) is the concept of identity.  Healthy humans "wear" multiple identities (I'm an American, a New Hampshirite, a husband, a father, a martial artist, an insufferable D&D geek, a sometime drummer...etc), and this is part of normal humanity.  Fundamentalists have only the identity of their fundamentalism.  Extremely bad for Da Mentals.
* Religion: institutionalized superstition, period.

"Many of my ultra-conservative Republican friends...have trouble accepting the idea God is not a Republican. " ~OldChurchGuy

"We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it."  ~ParkingPlaces

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +124/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 02:41:28 AM »
If they are going to "treat"  extremes of religious belief that they find unacceptable who is to say what they decide to "treat" next?  Will people will with extreme activist agendas be targeted such as animal rights or environmentalists?  Who decides which views are acceptable and which views should be "treated?"
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 07:16:42 AM »
If they are going to "treat"  extremes of religious belief that they find unacceptable who is to say what they decide to "treat" next?  Will people will with extreme activist agendas be targeted such as animal rights or environmentalists?  Who decides which views are acceptable and which views should be "treated?"

Any behavior that could easily lend itself to self harm and the harming of others.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 07:19:37 AM »
So maybe Pat Robertson's talks with God will be seen as him hearing voices. ;)
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +279/-37
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 07:19:47 AM »
Any behavior that could easily lend itself to self harm and the harming of others.

How easily is "easily"? Is there a scale? What's the unit for "easiness"?
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 07:57:26 AM »

How easily is "easily"? Is there a scale? What's the unit for "easiness"?

There isn't. It is a judgement call, as is pretty much everything in psychiatry. However, any behavior that could easily lend itself to self or harm and the harming of others is viewed as an illness. To use an example; "dieting" versus "anorexia" or "recreational drug use vs. addiction" and so forth. Is their a unit of measurement on these items? Nightmares versus Night Terrors Sleep disorder? A High sex drive versus Sex Addiction?

An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +279/-37
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 08:05:22 AM »
There isn't. It is a judgement call, as is pretty much everything in psychiatry.

Good to know.

However, any behavior that could easily lend itself to self or harm and the harming of others is viewed as an illness.
<snip>

True.
We choose our own gods.