Author Topic: Phantom priest  (Read 1521 times)

Online screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +658/-28
  • Karma mooch
Phantom priest
« on: August 08, 2013, 10:15:21 AM »
I read American Conservative.  One of the bloggers there is Rod Dreher.  I detest him.  He's a hyper-religious conservative prude.  He hates gay marriage, hates premarital sex, and is a general douche bag.

Today he posted a mundane story about a car accident.  In the midst of the rescue operation a priest showed up, cast some spells and the trapped young woman was rescued.  When they looked around, the priest was gone. Rod implies this was all miraculous and god's work.  But he doesn't come right out and say it. 

I left a comment.  We'll see if it gets past moderation.

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher/wanted-mystery-priest-police/

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +89/-2
  • WWGHA Member
Re: Phantom priest
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 10:36:02 AM »
I agree with your comment.

Just to hammer the point home in case you were in any doubt that this was a miricle priest Rod adds
Erin points out that Sunday, the day Katie Lentz was saved from the wreck, was the Feast of St. John Vianney, the Curé d’Ars, who is patron saint of priests.
at the end of his story.

Online screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +658/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 10:44:51 AM »
yeah. but he still pussed out in his reply to my post.  He said he didn't know what happened. I replied.  Waiting to see if that gets through.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +89/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 11:30:38 AM »
it did. Rod's an arse.

this part of the story made me lol

The Hannibal Fire Department showed up right after that prayer with fresh equipment and was able to finish the extrication

;D

Offline wheels5894

• Reader
  • Darwins +106/-1
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 11:42:43 AM »
This is a report of the accident when originally reported - al least that's how it seems. My trouble is that it sounds like a long re-told story that grew legs as it was re-told.
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +752/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 11:48:43 AM »
My own phantom priest is a better one. He hangs around all the time, so I've never had an auto accident. Which beats the crap out of having one that lets you get all squished up and then shows up, all heroic and shit.

Of course I've never actually seen mine. Nor even suspected he existed. But he's still doing a great job.

Where he was when I was carefully picking out my various ex's, I dunno. He probably didn't know much about women.

The trouble with bull like mentioned in the OP is that like the real thing, it is bovine excrement all the way down. Anyone can make such claims. Nobody can prove them. You would think that a 100% failure rate would have a negative effect on certain philosophical stances. But nooooooo...
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 12:02:34 PM »
If phantom priests start showing up, I'd anticipate an increase in the number of molestations, gropings and the like of young boys. 
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 03:03:15 PM »
My own phantom priest is a better one.
<snip>

Mine sucks. I've gotten into two accidents. I was trying to sleep during one of them (I wasn't driving, obviously) and ended up insulting the other driver with every name I could think of that didn't have a curse word in it. The other one was kind of funny, given that nobody was hurt. My mom's car (a crappy Fiat Punto) got hit by this Mercedes, and the Mercedes spun out of control and hit a wall, smashing its left side to bits.
I wasn't in any danger, being a god and all, but it still pissed me off.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +752/-6
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 03:20:29 PM »
^^^

Certainly, as an immortal, etc., you have expectations, and when some puny human who can't drive  causes an affront, you have every right to get pissed.

I'm mortal, but I still have to put up with republicans, so my situation is not dissimilar to yours. (Of course, they aren't crashing cars so much as they are crashing the economy, which is at least as bad.)

Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 03:58:56 PM »
Certainly, as an immortal, etc., you have expectations, and when some puny human who can't drive  causes an affront, you have every right to get pissed.

Of course.

I'm mortal, but I still have to put up with republicans, so my situation is not dissimilar to yours. (Of course, they aren't crashing cars so much as they are crashing the economy, which is at least as bad.)

Every civilization I've ever seen (which means all of them) has gone through a period such as this. This is the time when your planet's fate will be decided. Will your civilization destroy itself (it's happened more times than you know), or will it save itself? Only time will tell.[1]
 1. I'd do it, but then I'd be interfering way too much.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 04:00:35 PM by One Above All »
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +752/-6
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 04:19:32 PM »
^^^
Well, no matter how it turns out, I'll be dead by then.

You, on the other hand, have to suffer through even more human stupidity. Until people kill themselves off.

At least you have something to look forward too.  ;D

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 04:22:49 PM »
Well, no matter how it turns out, I'll be dead by then.

You sure about that? Really, truly 140% sure?

You, on the other hand, have to suffer through even more human stupidity. Until people kill themselves off.

I have suffered through more than your people's stupidity. I have existed forever.

At least you have something to look forward too.  ;D

I don't look forward to any being's death. It's always saddening to see something die.
We choose our own gods.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +752/-6
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 04:44:22 PM »
One

If you just and a little more pull with yourself you could fix all that.

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +852/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2013, 05:05:23 PM »
I wonder if religious people, trusting in gods and all, have more car accidents than atheists? I ask that as a person who has lived in 3rd world countries where every bus and cab driver has all kinds of religious symbols in and on their vehicles. You know, crosses and virgenes hanging from the mirrors, "dios bendiga" and so forth painted across the front of the bus. And then they drive like Lindsey Lohan, if she was wearing Zaphod's Joo Janta 200 Super-Chromatic Peril Sensitive Sunglasses and being directed by a drunk Britney Spears.

Because they know that god is protecting them.

As an atheist, I know that god wants to make my car crash, so I drive as carefully as I can.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2013, 05:47:19 PM »
I thought that was St. Christopher's role.  Now this mystery priest has taken over his job.  Pretty sad.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2013, 05:54:51 PM »
St Christopher or one of his horde of phantom priests took the day off for this tragedy... then again, they were baptists, so maybe they have phantom deacons or something that took the day off

Sad story - on many levels

http://www.jconline.com/article/BG/20130728/NEWS/307280019/Before-Indianapolis-bus-crash-youth-pastor-asked-church-members-pray-safe-return?odyssey=obinsite
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Online screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +658/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2013, 07:06:43 PM »
St Christopher or one of his horde of phantom priests took the day off for this tragedy... then again, they were baptists, so maybe they have phantom deacons or something that took the day off

Sad story - on many levels

http://www.jconline.com/article/BG/20130728/NEWS/307280019/Before-Indianapolis-bus-crash-youth-pastor-asked-church-members-pray-safe-return?odyssey=obinsite

I just used that at AC.  Thanks.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Tero

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +18/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2013, 06:27:37 AM »
Obviously he rides around the country on a motorcycle and listens to  police radio, so he can appear at several accidents a day. He's bound to achieve a "miracle" once in a while.

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2013, 08:38:49 AM »
I'm reminded of the song "Riding with Private MaloneWiki" when I read this. 
WARNING: COUNTRY MUSIC

Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2013, 08:54:31 AM »
I was driving home from the goth club one foggy night. I saw a strange light up ahead. I slowed down and looked around the corner to see a car upside down on fire. A family was pounding on the windows as the roll had crushed the door handles. I ran up with my cane, broke the window and pulled the father from the car, and then others.

When that was done people who been watching from the darkness, came forth, their little gold crosses on their neck and "Thank God" on their lips, stating they were afaid to approch because the fire was on the gas tank.

I disappeared back into the fog...never said a word. Completely pale and dressed on odd antique clothing. This little Atheist, who didn't think he would have gotten a sweet afterlife special, took the risk.

An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Online screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +658/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2013, 10:05:02 AM »
priest found.  Not an angel or ghost afterall.  Just a guy.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/08/12/mystery-priest-identified/2646255/

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2013, 10:52:07 AM »
at least now that they have a name the catholic church can proceed with "saintification" a few years after he dies - he worked a miracle! 

Now if he could just slink out of the darkness and heal an amputee or a down's syndrome kid, we might have reason to listen...

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2013, 12:41:02 PM »
So I guess the Christians will have to go with the back up plan...God made sure that priest was there on that day and time to assist the girl. ;)

See how easy this is?
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2013, 12:57:36 PM »
or we will hear how the priest as on the way to the YMCA to take his weekly sauna with the altar boys when he suddenly felt compelled to drive a different route and whammo he saw the accident

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2013, 02:29:29 PM »
There is an MVA and a women needs to be extricated. Coincedentally a priest is at the scene. The trapped victim asks for someone to pray with her while they are waiting for some equipment to arrive. This priest abliges and leaves when the proper extricating equipment frees the victim. 

WHERE IS THE FUCKIN MIRICLE???
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2013, 02:35:28 PM »
I hope to see the ghost of Christopher Hitchens if I'm ever smashed up in a vehicle waiting to be extricated.  Unless a priest is carrying a flask, he better stay away...

Online screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +658/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2013, 02:56:00 PM »
WHERE IS THE FUCKIN MIRICLE???

jesus H made sure the priest was there to comfort her.  There are no coincidences, especially when it turns out well.  That always means god is at work, no matter how mundane it may seem. 

This allows xians to live in a mytho-poetic world, where snakes talk, beanstalks grow to castles in the clouds and a hippy jew makes sure a priest is on hand to comfort you when in a car wreck.  Just make sure you don't need, you know, real help.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Tero

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +18/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2013, 03:06:46 PM »
It's pretty much like Mother Teresa's only "miracle."

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +852/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2013, 05:34:33 PM »
I have been in several car wrecks, a bus explosion and a few dangerous plane trips. No priest, ever. And I have survived, somehow. &)
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.