Author Topic: Question on possibility of specific topic on forum.  (Read 601 times)

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
  • Residential Tulpamancer.
Question on possibility of specific topic on forum.
« on: October 03, 2013, 11:31:22 AM »
Just wondering, is it allowed to use the chatter section for posting a (hopefully) day to day progress on a certain topic?
Of course, the topic is about Alexis, but i digress.
Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Online screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +620/-23
  • Karma mooch
Re: Question on possibility of specific topic on forum.
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 12:32:08 PM »
1. Though I am loath to do anything that encourages your tulpa delusion, yes, chatter would be te place for it. 

2. You don't really need to ask permission to start threads.  If it belongs someplace else, it will get moved or merged or trashed.  No big thing.

3. You already have a tulpa thread.  Why do you need a second?

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 12:50:47 PM »

3. You already have a tulpa thread. Why do you need a second?

Good one.   +1 for you
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 08:00:36 PM »
What the fuck's a tulpa? No, wait...I don't care.

-Nam
This is my signature "Nam", don't I have nice typing skills?

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 11:15:50 PM »
1. Though I am loath to do anything that encourages your tulpa delusion, yes, chatter would be te place for it. 

2. You don't really need to ask permission to start threads.  If it belongs someplace else, it will get moved or merged or trashed.  No big thing.

3. You already have a tulpa thread.  Why do you need a second?

1. The loathing is what i was afraid of, for all i know it could of been instalocked.

2. Lesson learned.

3. Well, the first one is for questions, this one will be a generic progress report on Alexis.
Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Offline Anfauglir

• Professor
  • Darwins +407/-5
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 03:46:05 AM »
I'm inclined towards a "no" for this, because I am a little worried about the procedent it might send.  I could see the merit in a daily progress report on a particular religious issue, but at what point should we draw the line?  To be clear - its not the topic that concerns me (so feel free to make other tulpa-related threads if there are particular aspects you wish to discuss), just not a daily blog.

A "daily progress report" on any topic is probably not best done on a forum anyway - getting a blog account somewhere would be a better bet.  The other benefit with a blog account is that you will (a) have the opportunity to reach a wider and potentially more interested audience, and (b) have a lot more control over the content.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 03:59:05 AM »
I certainly defer to the mods on this, but it seems like the testimonial section would be the most appropriate place. 

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 05:44:26 AM »
I'm inclined towards a "no" for this, because I am a little worried about the procedent it might send.  I could see the merit in a daily progress report on a particular religious issue, but at what point should we draw the line?  To be clear - its not the topic that concerns me (so feel free to make other tulpa-related threads if there are particular aspects you wish to discuss), just not a daily blog.

A "daily progress report" on any topic is probably not best done on a forum anyway - getting a blog account somewhere would be a better bet.  The other benefit with a blog account is that you will (a) have the opportunity to reach a wider and potentially more interested audience, and (b) have a lot more control over the content.

I guess i could post it in the testimonial section, but could any other Mods/Admins advise what to do?

Offline Anfauglir

• Professor
  • Darwins +407/-5
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 06:01:24 AM »
I'm not sure it fits in Testimonials, either, to be honest!  Testimonials is "Share the reasoning behind why you believe or disbelieve in a theistic entity", which definitely doesn't fit with what you want to do.

We've had threads before that give sporadic updates on ongoing "projects" - I recall one on giving up smoking, for example, but of course this being a forum they tend to devolve into discussion around the topic.

If you intend it to be a diary, then again I'd strongly suggest you go with a blog site.  You would have a better record of your progress, without the forum chatter that goes on.  With the best will in the world, threads diverge into ancilliary chat, which is going to detract from what you (I presume?) want to have, which is a journal of your regular progress in a field.  A blog will also avoid the situation where you could end up with posts talking about Monday's progress appearing in-thread after Thursday's updates......having just refreshed my memory of the Forum rules, I also suspect that a daily record could fall foul of the rule that "Discussion threads are for discussion of the topic at hand, not simply advertising one's opinions"

For what you want to do I honestly believe a blog would be a better bet - I'd give the same advice to anyone wanting to make a daily (or thereabouts) record of what they are doing.

Greybeard is my co-Mod in Chatter - I'll PM him to get his opinion.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2013, 06:19:13 AM »
I'm not sure it fits in Testimonials, either, to be honest!  Testimonials is "Share the reasoning behind why you believe or disbelieve in a theistic entity", which definitely doesn't fit with what you want to do.

Yeah, that is true, i'm not talking about theism...

We've had threads before that give sporadic updates on ongoing "projects" - I recall one on giving up smoking, for example, but of course this being a forum they tend to devolve into discussion around the topic.

I don't mind any possible devolvement, as i would post the next day's report regardless of the level of derailment.

If you intend it to be a diary, then again I'd strongly suggest you go with a blog site.  You would have a better record of your progress, without the forum chatter that goes on.  With the best will in the world, threads diverge into ancilliary chat, which is going to detract from what you (I presume?) want to have, which is a journal of your regular progress in a field.  A blog will also avoid the situation where you could end up with posts talking about Monday's progress appearing in-thread after Thursday's updates......having just refreshed my memory of the Forum rules, I also suspect that a daily record could fall foul of the rule that "Discussion threads are for discussion of the topic at hand, not simply advertising one's opinions"

Hmm, i suppose it could fail that rule, but i guess a discussion of each day could work, i would not mind it.

For what you want to do I honestly believe a blog would be a better bet - I'd give the same advice to anyone wanting to make a daily (or thereabouts) record of what they are doing.

True, but i quite like the community here, their opinions, etc.
I like seeing peoples opinions on topics, regardless of the opinion.

I will wait for Greybeard however.

Online screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +620/-23
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2013, 08:25:06 AM »
1. The loathing is what i was afraid of, for all i know it could of been instalocked.

I loath a lot of things, but my personal tastes are not the basis for locking threads.  The forum is not mine and I try to behave as if I have that in mind.  For example, I loath the current tulpa thread you created.  And yet it is now 6 (7?) pages long.  I loath free will debates, yet there are a bunch of those. 

3. Well, the first one is for questions, this one will be a generic progress report on Alexis.

My preference would be to contain all things tulpa in that one thread.  The stated purpose of this forum is to discuss the material written by Marshall Brain in the WWGHA online book and related religious topics.  It's not really a site for tulpa updates.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2013, 08:27:43 AM »
I loath a lot of things, but my personal tastes are not the basis for locking threads.  The forum is not mine and I try to behave as if I have that in mind.  For example, I loath the current tulpa thread you created.  And yet it is now 6 (7?) pages long.  I loath free will debates, yet there are a bunch of those. 

Please lock/delete that thread by the way.

My preference would be to contain all things tulpa in that one thread.  The stated purpose of this forum is to discuss the material written by Marshall Brain in the WWGHA online book and related religious topics.  It's not really a site for tulpa updates.

Will do then ;D.
I shall make a new thread, but it shall be the only one from now on.