Author Topic: Paradise on Earth  (Read 500 times)

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +534/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
Paradise on Earth
« on: August 16, 2013, 06:45:37 AM »
Part 1
In the documentary film “Welcome to North Korea”[1] there is a scene in which there is a hall full of people, all sitting in rows facing the stage upon which is a gigantic portrait of Kim Jong-il, son of the immortal Kim Il-sung. All these people have had cataract operations. All of them are bandaged so as to be blindfolded. A party member addresses them. He speaks of the wonders of Kim Jong-il (who was alive at the time of the documentary) He tells them how much love Kim has for his people. He tells them how, no matter what their suffering, Kim cares for them and will make everything better.

One by one, the patients are told to take off their bandages. The first thing they see[2] is the giant portrait. Each in turn, and behind tear-filled eyes and amidst sobbing, lavishes the most excessive praise on Kim Jong-il who they credit with having restored their vision – there is no mention of the doctors.

Each time a new speaker stands to witness to this miracle, the emotion increases until, at last you get the impression that some of them have gone into a rapture.

After the event and outside the hall, none are willing to say anything but good about Kim Jong-il. If there have been any disasters; if the plan has gone wrong; if things have not been quite as expected or if evidence contradicts what Kim Jong-il has said, the people blame it on the evil USA or because other citizens have not behaved in accordance with Kim Jong-il’s word.

Part 2
In a church service[3], there is a scene in which there is a hall full of people, all sitting in rows facing the stage upon which is a gigantic cross, crucifix or portrait of Jesus, son of the immortal God the Father. All these people have a delusion. All of them are have their eyes closed and are speaking in their mind to some invisible being that none of them have ever seen. A priest addresses them. He speaks of the wonders of Jesus (who, he says, is alive at the time of the this performance.) He tells them how much love God has for his people. He tells them how, no matter what their suffering, God cares for them and will make everything better.

One by one, the congregation open their eyes. The first thing they see[4] is the giant cross, crucifix or portrait of Jesus and or Mary. Each in turn, and behind tear-filled eyes and amidst sobbing, lavishes the most excessive praise on God, Jesus and/or Mary who they credit with having done everything in their lives – there is no mention of the doctors, policemen, friends and relatives, government services, etc.

In some churches, members of the congregation will speak. Each time a new speaker stands to witness to this miracle, the emotion increases until, at last you get the impression that some of them have gone into a rapture.

After the event and outside the hall, none are willing to say anything but good about God. If there have been any disasters; if the plan has gone wrong; if things have not been quite as expected or if evidence contradicts what God has said, the people blame it on the evil Satan or because other citizens have not behaved in accordance with God’s word.

The question is: “Why do people see North Korea as hell on earth and see the Kingdom of God as paradise on earth?”
 1. you may be able to find it as an illegal download, or you may wish to buy the DVD
 2. well, not the first thing… the patients have already been tested to make sure that they are faithful party members and can see and then they have been brought to the hall
 3. you may be able to find one of these in a city or town near you
 4. well, not the first thing… the congregation have already been tested to make sure that they are faithful sect members and can believe and then they have been brought to the hall
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +772/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
Re: Paradise on Earth
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 07:40:45 AM »
Part 3: Republicans and the Rich
Part 4: Baseball fans and their favorite team
Part 5: The clinically insane and reality TV

I'm seeing a pattern here.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 10:29:30 AM »
I watched the North Korea piece and what was really weird is how the patients completely ignored the US (i think) doctor who had put together a team to worm their way into NK to help these folks out. As I recall, they were working in medical facilities that looked like an episode of MASH.  The Dr stood by and watched all this like, I suppose, many an atheist does when they see the religious experience you described.

By the way, I feel the same way when I attend church with my family... are they all delusional?
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +186/-8
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 01:39:19 PM »
Saw a piece today where N. Korea is developing their own smart phones.    They have always been ahead of the curve on technology.  The Great Leader runs a well oiled machine. ;)
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 01:49:53 PM »
^^^ Li'l Kim's smart phone will have to be pulled behind you in an ox cart (no one has an ox)

it runs on Dirt Sandwich 2.3
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Willie

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +75/-1
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 11:35:55 PM »
Part 1
In the documentary film “Welcome to North Korea” there is a scene in which there is a hall full of people, all sitting in rows facing the stage upon which is a gigantic portrait of Kim Jong-il, son of the immortal Kim Il-sung. All these people have had cataract operations. All of them are bandaged so as to be blindfolded. A party member addresses them. He speaks of the wonders of Kim Jong-il (who was alive at the time of the documentary) He tells them how much love Kim has for his people. He tells them how, no matter what their suffering, Kim cares for them and will make everything better.

I went to Youtube and watched a documentary by that name, but it did not contain the scene you describe. It was, however, a good documentary. I recommend it. But I do recall a scene like that in a documentary that I saw several years ago called "Inside North Korea", that was published by National Geographic[1]. Are you sure it's not that one that you're thinking of?

In any case, I am familiar with that scene or one very much like it, and when I saw it, I was immediately struck by the similarities to the Pentecostal church services that I experienced as a child. It was obvious that North Korea, far from being an example of the results of secularism or atheism, is instead a fundamentalist theocracy, with the country's leaders as deities. They have quashed traditional religions not for the sake of eliminating religion, but to secure the complete dominance of their own. A new religion of Kim-ism. No hint of the skepticism and freethought that are characteristic of the kind of secularism and atheism that we see here.
 1. You can watch it on YouTube (legally, placed there by National Geographic), or on Netflix

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +534/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 09:31:57 AM »
I went to Youtube and watched a documentary by that name, but it did not contain the scene you describe. It was, however, a good documentary. I recommend it. But I do recall a scene like that in a documentary that I saw several years ago called "Inside North Korea", that was published by National Geographic [nb]You can watch it on YouTube (legally, placed there by National Geographic), or on Netflix
Yes, that's the one: " National Geographic Inside Undercover In North Korea 5/5" In the UK, you can only see 1/5, the rest are not available.

Edit: it can be seen here http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/82139489/ from 2:00 on.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 09:37:17 AM by Graybeard »
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +222/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 09:52:11 AM »
Oh, and just after my 720p MKV torrent started on my server.
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +566/-18
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 05:04:46 PM »
The question is: “Why do people see North Korea as hell on earth and see the Kingdom of God as paradise on earth?”
Leaving aside the little inaccuracies in your comparison, it's because North Korea actually exists.

Offline eartheconomyspirit

• Graduate
  • Darwins +2/-15
  • WWGHA Member
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 01:09:41 AM »
The answer is both are true observations of reality.