Author Topic: Slaves, not "servants", in the Ten Commandments [#2754]  (Read 357 times)

Offline pianodwarf

• Darwins +206/-5
  • Je bois ton lait frappĂ©
Slaves, not "servants", in the Ten Commandments [#2754]
« on: July 30, 2013, 05:52:08 AM »
Two of the commandments euphemistically refer to "servants", but the original word is more correctly translated as "slave". I have this on good authority from a Hebrew scholar (from Plain Truth Magazine).

I believe the above information would counter the arguments of those who may choose to believe that the slavery laws were man-made. After all, every Christian accepts that the Ten Commandments are the words of God as handed down to Moses.

Chapter 13 - Why does God love slavery?
http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/god13.htm

-[name removed]
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
Re: Slaves, not "servants", in the Ten Commandments [#2754]
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 07:53:42 AM »
Isn't that what we all are in His eyes.  Believe or burn.  Sit and worship forever in heaven.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-0
  • IXNAY
Re: Slaves, not "servants", in the Ten Commandments [#2754]
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 09:55:04 AM »
After all, every Christian accepts that the Ten Commandments are the words of God as handed down to Moses.

Which 10 commandments -- those from Exodus 20 or those from Exodus 34?  According to the Bible (Ex 34.1), Yahweh says both sets of tablets handed to Moses contained exactly the same commandmets, but they don't (e.g. the commandment against killing is on the tablets from Ex 20, but not on the tablets from Ex 34.).

Just one of several errors the perfect god of the bible makes in his own book.
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz